PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika IV

Takizawa
17-Mar-2013, 19:26
Thought I would share my purchase on EB*Y -- you can search for it using item #310622761292 and then clicking on original listing.

What do you think? and any tips specific to this model? Thanks

Vick Ko
17-Mar-2013, 19:48
Congratulations.

Just check carefully that the bellows don't leak light. Old Linhof bellows didn't stand the test of time too well.

Actually, the bellows in the photos look very good. I wonder if the owner already replaced them.

Overall, the camera looks very nice, and you got a good price.

Len Middleton
18-Mar-2013, 05:56
Congratulations.

Just check carefully that the bellows don't leak light. Old Linhof bellows didn't stand the test of time too well.

So how old is the newest Technika IV, 50 years?

I think that will be considerably longer than most other things I purchase...

Brian Ellis
18-Mar-2013, 06:45
Looks nice. Unless you plan to do a lot of hand-held photography you might consider removing the handle and replace it with the strap. You don't need the handle when using a tripod and it just takes up space and gets in the way. But you can see for yourself, maybe you won't mind the handle.

I forget exactly when Linhof replaced the IV with the V, maybe the mid-1960s but that's just a guess.

Bob Salomon
18-Mar-2013, 06:45
So how old is the newest Technika IV, 50 years?

I think that will be considerably longer than most other things I purchase...

The last Super Technika IV was 78886 made in May of 1963.
The last V was 2191499 made at the beginning of 1976.
The first Master Technika was 6411050 made in Sept. 1972.

So that last IV is 50 years old in two months.

E. von Hoegh
18-Mar-2013, 06:51
Congratulations.

Actually, the bellows in the photos look very good. I wonder if the owner already replaced them.

Overall, the camera looks very nice, and you got a good price.

The bellows on my ca. 1959 Tech IV are original and perfect.

Takizawa
18-Mar-2013, 09:18
Thanks all for the information. The bellows on this particular camera are listed as 'new'.

On Cameraquest.com to spruce up an older Technika they recommend using a dab of glue to secure any loose pieces of the leather covering along with metal polish. Has anyone gone this route?

Second, I read that the bellows extend to about 450mm -- which seems generous for a field camera. So I assume that a 210mm process lens would work on here at 1:1 magnification, or double the bellows?

Third, interesting point about removing the handle. Is that simple to do (and to reattach if desired)?

Last, I am assuming that the cam in the camera will not match the camera lens. If that's the case, how do I tell the condition of the rangefinder? Not that I'll hand-hold this much, but it would be nice to know if that is an option...

Thanks all!

Len Middleton
18-Mar-2013, 09:42
On Cameraquest.com to spruce up an older Technika they recommend using a dab of glue to secure any loose pieces of the leather covering along with metal polish. Has anyone gone this route?

Second, I read that the bellows extend to about 450mm -- which seems generous for a field camera. So I assume that a 210mm process lens would work on here at 1:1 magnification, or double the bellows?

Third, interesting point about removing the handle. Is that simple to do (and to reattach if desired)?

Last, I am assuming that the cam in the camera will not match the camera lens. If that's the case, how do I tell the condition of the rangefinder? Not that I'll hand-hold this much, but it would be nice to know if that is an option...

1. Guess it is doable, but have not done it.

2. I estimated them to be about 16", so about 450mm sounds about right.

3. The anatomical grip has a base plate that fastens to the body, but can be removed.

4. A Technika IV cam should have two serial numbers on it, one for the camera body, the other for the lens.

Bob Salomon
18-Mar-2013, 11:25
1. Guess it is doable, but have not done it.

2. I estimated them to be about 16", so about 450mm sounds about right.

3. The anatomical grip has a base plate that fastens to the body, but can be removed.

4. A Technika IV cam should have two serial numbers on it, one for the camera body, the other for the lens.

As Len said, you remove the plate for the hand grip. But to mount the strap you need a different flat plate that mounts where the grip's plate was mounted. However, the placement of the screws for a IV may be different then the holes on the strap plate used after the IV.

Leonard Robertson
18-Mar-2013, 14:03
It has been awhile since I've had my Technika IV out, but I'm remembering the grip is on a quick release of some sort. Release a catch and the grip slides off the bracket on the side of the camera body. The grip is nice if you want to hand hold, but for tripod shooting, you will probably leave the grip at home. There are a pair of metal eyes on top of the camera body. I ran a narrow leather strap across the top of the body through these eyes. This is handy for plucking the camera out of the camera bag and lifting it up onto the tripod.

When I got my IV, it came with only one of the original lenses - the 240mm Tele-Arton. I had a 150mm Symmar already, so I bought a used 150mm cam and the combination worked well enough for "real world" use. Maybe not quite right for shooting with the lens wide open, but I never do that anyway. So possibly even if the lens on your camera isn't the one originally cammed to that body (the Copal shutter doesn't look original to me), it still may be usable. You will just need to try it and see. The first thing to do is check that the infinity stops are in the correct position for the lens, then check the rangefinder focus with the groundglass and see if they agree.

Congratulations on acquiring a great camera!

Len

Dan Henderson
18-Mar-2013, 16:58
The last Super Technika IV was 78886 made in May of 1963.
The last V was 2191499 made at the beginning of 1976.
The first Master Technika was 6411050 made in Sept. 1972.

So that last IV is 50 years old in two months.

I feel privileged to use a camera that was made to such a high standard more than 40 years ago and which still works and looks so good.

Brian Ellis
18-Mar-2013, 20:11
Thanks all for the information. The bellows on this particular camera are listed as 'new'.

Thanks all!

450mm is about 18 inches. I've owned two Technikas, a V and a Master. The bellows extended about 15 inches on them but I think that was without extending the back which probably adds another couple inches.

I added a strap to my Tech V but it didn't start out with the handle, it had neither a handle nor a strap. The strap was simple to attach under those circumstances, it just screwed into the holes left when the handle or an old strap had been removed. I'd suggest that you talk with the current Linhof authorized repair center about it and see what they have to say or perhaps ask Bob Solomon who posted a message above. He could also give you contact information for the repair center if someone here doesn't post it. I used the former repair center and haven't used the new one.

Since the lens was with the camera when you bought it why do you assume that the cam doesn't match the lens? If you're unsure why not ask the seller or just try it and see if you can focus with the rangefinder? But I think you're correct in thinking that you'll need a functioning cam to check the rangefinder.

Cor
19-Mar-2013, 04:28
The bellows on my ca. 1959 Tech IV are original and perfect.

So are the leather bellows on my 1954 Tech III

best,

Cor

Takizawa
22-Mar-2013, 15:09
Okay. The camera arrived today. Looks beautiful, including the rangefinder condition. The cam and lens numbers match, so this is a set. Upper rail is stiff to extend, but that's about it. I think I got a steal at seven hundred dollars and change. One question, how do I set the camera for use with the rangefinder. I see a red infinity catch, which matches the red range scale for the 150mm lens. Is it simply a matter of extending the bellows to the infinity catch and then focusing from there?

Also, the handle has a quick release so I'm good there. Thanks all for your continuing advice.

Bob Salomon
22-Mar-2013, 16:00
Okay. The camera arrived today. Looks beautiful, including the rangefinder condition. The cam and lens numbers match, so this is a set. Upper rail is stiff to extend, but that's about it. I think I got a steal at seven hundred dollars and change. One question, how do I set the camera for use with the rangefinder. I see a red infinity catch, which matches the red range scale for the 150mm lens. Is it simply a matter of extending the bellows to the infinity catch and then focusing from there?

Also, the handle has a quick release so I'm good there. Thanks all for your continuing advice.

You pull the lens out of the body till it meets the infinity stops (flip them up first). Assuming that those stops are positioned correctly for the 150 then you will be at infinity at that position and the pointer on the focusing scale for the 150 will indicate that it is at infinity. To make sure see how sharp the image is on the GG at that position and make sure the images in the rangefinder are indicating proper focus. If not then you are going to have to see Rim at Nippon Photoclinic down town.