PDA

View Full Version : Light Diffuser Panel For Studio

SLVRGLTN
17-Mar-2013, 17:25
I'm not sure where to put this but I need a see through light diffuser panel in the following size 72"x72" something I can put over a window to diffuse the light it will be mounted in someway permanately for studio work mainly still life photography! Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated also not expensive but doesn't tear easily! Not a sheet something thicker!

Thanks Brian

Peter De Smidt
17-Mar-2013, 17:52
White acrylic 1/8th inch thick.
Or you could build a frame that holds diffusers for office overhead fluorescent lights. They're available at building material stores, such as Home Depot, for little money.

Jim C.
17-Mar-2013, 17:57
If you want cheap try a fabric store for bridal veil, chiffon or organza,
there's probably more types like what I mentioned.
Otherwise it's lighting scrim cloth or Lee lighting filter$.
You may have a hard time getting something 72" wide.

SLVRGLTN
17-Mar-2013, 18:19
I forgot to mention I need it translucent and only white the actual size I need is 52"x52" but wanted extra to tack to a wall Any rolls that fit that bill I can purchase??

Thanks for the help!

The window I have I noticed last few days since I took over the room has very nice daylight coming through the front window and I see it as a perfect studio spot for natural lighting on many subjects! I want to diffuse the light because it can be harsh at times! Might sound like an oxymoron but I'm still learning!

Thanks Brian

Peter De Smidt
17-Mar-2013, 18:34
White acrylic comes in at least two different levels of diffusion. One of kinds is what is used on transparency viewers. Both are translucent, one more so than the other. I bought a 4x4 foot sheet that I've been using for various purposes. I'm not sure if it comes wider than 48".

White Rip-stop nylon can work well, although it has a bit of a pattern and so wouldn't be good for putting highlights on chrome. I just had a local seamstress make a 10ft x 15ft scrim out of this. I also had a black one made.

Matthews and other companies make scrims in various sizes, including huge ones, but they're expensive.

lenser
17-Mar-2013, 18:39
Coroplast, corrugated plastic material that yard display realty signs are made of, comes in sizes up to 4x8 sheets (I think).....big sizes anyway as I had to use my Explorer to get the full sheets home. It comes in many colors including white, black and translucent white. It is also quite reasonable on price when bought directly from a plastic supplier. I think it was under $15.00 per sheet when I bought my stock a few years ago.

The translucent works perfectly as a diffuser (about the same amount of fall off as a then bed sheet at most) and stands alone so that you need no frame and can literally push pin it to a wall as it is only about 1/8" or a bit more in thickness. Cut it to any size you wish with a simple utility knife.

If you are not near an actual plastic supplier, any sign shop would use it and might be willing to order it for you on their next incoming shipment.

I use the translucent as you describe and for building temporary light modifiers for flash, the white for reflectors and for the sides of the home made modifiers (duct tape is all you need to cobble it together), and the black as flags to shade large and small areas in frame for any set up that I am shooting from people to large studio commercial sets.

It weighs almost nothing and lasts forever.

vinny
17-Mar-2013, 18:46
fabric store-bleached muslin is the cheapest and easiest thick diffusion to work with. If you need thicker, use tracing paper (drafting). It comes on rolls and can be $$$. These are two examples we use daily in the movie industry. plexi is heavy, expensive, and not easy to cut.

Jody_S
17-Mar-2013, 20:18
How about just white-washing the window?

KOG
17-Mar-2013, 20:55
If you decide to use acrylic (Plexiglas), the color you want is 2447 which is white. 1/8" will let the most light through.

Kevin

Peter De Smidt
17-Mar-2013, 21:03
They make obscuring vinyl film for windows, or there's Krylon paint for "frosting" the window.

Mark Woods
18-Mar-2013, 09:09
There are a lot of different materials in the 6'x6' size. Google mole-richardson and go to the studio depot. Do a search on the size.

SergeiR
18-Mar-2013, 10:03
ripstop white nylon, pvc tubing. Dirt cheap, can be folded, washed, moved outdoors.

DrTang
18-Mar-2013, 10:40
white - rip stop nylon...or heck..a white plastic shower curtain - just tape it up with gaffers tape or staple it up since it's semi permanent

Howard Tanger
18-Mar-2013, 11:25
......or heck..a white plastic shower curtain - just tape it up with gaffers tape or staple it up since it's semi permanent

This is probably the best and least expensive solution to the problem. Howard Tanger

Mark Woods
18-Mar-2013, 11:34
It depends on the quality of light that you desire. I've experimented with hundreds of different types of materials in an effort to get a particular look. None of this was based on the ease of using the material, but on the desired look.

Peter De Smidt
18-Mar-2013, 11:54
Back when I was at a big photo studio, we needed to make some scrims. We had a number of them from Matthews for studio use, but we hit the fabric store to see if we could find anything similar. (These were for ones that the photographers took on location.) Anyway, after retrieving some samples and running some tests, we came up with the following: http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Cling-Free-Lining-Fabric-Polyester-Linings_stcVVproductId49134760VVcatId539014VVviewprod.htm It was indistinguishable from the fabric from Matthews.

I realize that OP isn't looking for fabric, but maybe this info will be useful for someone else. For location work, have the corners reinforced so that they don't get damaged when a-clamping the fabric to a stand.

sun of sand
18-Mar-2013, 12:20
I'd say look for some spun polyester at joann fabrics or other fabric store
might be able to find it in large rolls meant for reupholstering sofas or box springs or something
Surely there are varying grades
I tried a google search and looks like it's used for waterproofing so maybe a more specialized building supply

C. D. Keth
21-Mar-2013, 14:47
fabric store-bleached muslin is the cheapest and easiest thick diffusion to work with.

Vinny beat me to it. You can further thin muslin by bleaching it in the wash a couple more times.

Uri A
7-Apr-2013, 09:23
http://setshop.com/gelsdiffusion/set-shop-diffusion

Jim Noel
7-Apr-2013, 10:35
Rip-Stop nylon is used in many large diffusers.

Tin Can
8-Apr-2013, 19:51
Nice source.

Thanks!

http://setshop.com/gelsdiffusion/set-shop-diffusion