PDA

View Full Version : Veneered lens board

Dave Hally
16-Mar-2013, 11:47
I recently advertized and bought a technika #0 board. I wanted to experiment with veneering it to complement my maple Chamonix. I can't figure out how to attach the iphone pics of the board and on the camera though, any help here?
Thanks
Dave

BarryS
16-Mar-2013, 12:09
Is it a metal board? Veneering will add about 1/16" of an inch to the thickness, so the board may no longer fit. I veneer all my home made lens boards, but I account for the thickness of the veneer in constructing the boards. If you have the clearance for the veneer, I'd start with an oversize piece, and drill your shutter hole first. Rough up the surface of the front of the technica board with some sandpaper. Coat the board with some wood glue, register the board with the veneer, and clamp tightly between two pieces of MDF. When the glue is dry, use a fine tooth saw to cut away the excess veneer and lightly sand the edges.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Mar-2013, 13:27
Veneer of some woods can be found in 1/40th and 1/28th of an inch.

Steven Tribe
16-Mar-2013, 13:41
"Real" lens boards are almost exclusively made from 3 pieces of wood with grain in different directions.

Doing what you describe will produce a shoddy result, I think.

vinny
16-Mar-2013, 13:59
To answer you question (and not tell you that you've made a shitty product), you'll need tapatalk for the iphone in order to upload directly from the phone.

Dave Hally
16-Mar-2013, 14:00
I've already done it, I just can't upload the iPhone pics. The veneer is thin, about as thick as the narrow locating boss at the top of the board, which I filed off. I also had to file down the three raised areas on the back. This board may not be perfect on a Technika, but it works well on my Chamonix, and looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. It looks similar to the Ebony boards, but with different veneer. So, how do I load iPhone pics?
Thanks,
Dave

Dave Hally
16-Mar-2013, 18:14
Thanks, Vinney, I'll give that shot.
Dave

Roger Thoms
16-Mar-2013, 20:26
You should be able to upload photos from your iPhone, at least I can do from my iPad. If you scroll down to Manage Attachments or if you are replying scroll down to Go Advanced and then Manage Attachments. Once your in Manage Attachments go to the upper right and click on Add Files which will open a little window with a Chose Files button, click on that and you will have a choice of Choose Existing or Take Photo or Video.

If that doesn't work then Tapatalk is another option, although Tapatalk will occasionally tell me a photo taken with my iPad is an uncompatable file format, and not upload the photo.

Anyway hopefully this will work, as I'm looking forward to seeing you "Shoddy" lens board.

Roger

IanG
17-Mar-2013, 03:28
"Real" lens boards are almost exclusively made from 3 pieces of wood with grain in different directions.

Doing what you describe will produce a shoddy result, I think.

I'd be inclined to make a wooden lens board as Steven decsribes rather than veneer on a metal board. I've made quite a few over the past 2-3 months for a variety of cameras all with 3 different front sections.

Ian

BarryS
17-Mar-2013, 05:39
It seems like there's some misunderstanding here. The original poster is just talking about cosmetically modifying an existing Technika lens board. Technika-style lens boards are generally made of cast or machined metal for very good reasons, including the complexity of the dimensions, precision, and structural integrity for a small board.

Three piece wooden lens boards are lovely, but they'd also be an odd suggestion for Sinar or Kodak Masterview users looking to, say--paint their lens boards racing green. :rolleyes:

Steven Tribe
17-Mar-2013, 06:06
No misunderstanding!

I realise a totally wooden copy of the Linhof board would not be possible for the reasons given above.
The only modification of the board that I could think could be tasteful, is a different coloured anodised finish. And without the Linhof shield!

Jim C.
17-Mar-2013, 06:21
Why not paint the board to mimic the wood ?

vinny
17-Mar-2013, 07:46
Why not paint the board to mimic the wood ?

Or maybe cover it with some wood-grain wallpaper!!!

Dave Hally
17-Mar-2013, 15:27
I did make one out of 1/16" birch plywood, and veneered it. I could only veneer one side, as it would be too thick otherwise. It worked fine, but was just a tad curved. As these are going on a Chamonix, I'm not too worried about them fitting on a Linhof. I may make the next one out of 1/16" aluminum, or maybe carbon fiber. These would be in a simple rectangle. I also have some birds eye maple veneer I could use. I will try to up load some pics.
Dave

I'd be inclined to make a wooden lens board as Steven decsribes rather than veneer on a metal board. I've made quite a few over the past 2-3 months for a variety of cameras all with 3 different front sections.

Ian

IanG
18-Mar-2013, 01:41
I have a few old lens boards for pre-Anniversary & Pacemaker Graphics made from two bits of metal because they've been adapted to use smaller shutters from borads drilled for much larger shutters. This makes them extremely rigid, I have made Linhof/Wista fit boards from plain aluminium but I think if I made one from wood I'd use a circular ing of aluminium on the inside to prevent flex and add that missing rigidity.

Ian

Dave Hally
15-Apr-2013, 16:33
Well I finally got some pics uploaded, I hope. one is of the board itself, and the other is o9342693427f the board on the camera with a Fujinon 240 A lens

Jac@stafford.net
15-Apr-2013, 16:38
Find some funky shelf-paper (https://www.google.com/search?q=shelf+paper&safe=off&hl=en&rlz=1C6CHFA_enUS503US518&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YI9sUZGTHYOfyAHyoIG4AQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1132&bih=570) for the front and be happy.