PDA

View Full Version : Iqsmart 2 problem

Hoppet
16-Mar-2013, 02:29
Hi all

here is a new problem with a iqsmart 2.

I bought this scanner few months ago from a designer, a complete bargain for just 500€. The scanner it was in good condition and i was scanning perfectlly for all this time till i just started notice that is creating a yellow cast on the edges of the negatives. I say negatives cos just happen with them, when scanning a positive no problems, even if i scan a neg as a psoitve the yellow cast goes away. Tried scanning in every mode, profile, etc and nothing, still there.

I wonder if it could be caused by a low lamp. When i do the checking it gives me an error on the mechanics.

Would be great if someone can tell me a solution or if someone had similar problems with it, as you all know kodak doesnt give technical support anymore, at least here in Spain.

Also if anyone knows a place to buy lamps in Europe, would be well recibed

Thanks to all

EOTS
16-Mar-2013, 04:07
Hello Hoppet,

try the Yahoo Hi-End Scanner group,
it might be a better place for answers:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ScanHi-End/

Best regards,
Martin

SergeyT
20-Mar-2013, 18:25
Try scanning with a black mask all around your film frames. Make sure there is absolutely no space between the mask and the scanned film area so no direct light from the bulb is hitting the sensor . After that select the scanning area so it includes part of the mask. If that does not help please post a sample of the problem.

SergeyT

pmw
28-Jan-2015, 03:09
Hi Hoppet,

I have an IQSmart3 which recently began showing this exact same problem. Yellow cast on the edges of negatives (but not on positives). I recently replaced the lamps, so don't think it's due to fading lamps. Would be very keen to learn of any solutions you found to this problem.

Best regards,
Philip

barr405
28-Jan-2015, 15:02
Phillip where did You get the new lamps for your iQSmart3?? Please give me a hint.
Also I want to say, that I'm too periodically see this yellow cast on my negatives. In my case it occurs ONLY on overexposed negatives in "whites" (sky, etc.), where the blue channel is almost washed out. On the Negative itself those areas is almost dark (dark brown color), so the scanner have a hard times to properly separate the RGB channels in those areas of negative. I think so. Maybe I'm wrong...

pmw
29-Jan-2015, 01:22
Hi, I purchased the IQSmart bulb-set from Creative Publishing Solutions (www.cpsnet.co.uk). They have them in stock (or at least they did when I bought the new bulbs). Very quick and good service.

Thanks for the info. about the yellow cast on negatives. For me it's only at the edge of the negative and I usually scan just by placing the negative on the glass, so I was thinking it was caused by overexposure during scanning due to some sort of reflection at the edge. You're right though in that the cast is most pronounced if the edge of the negative is very dense.

barr405
29-Jan-2015, 07:58
Philip Thanks!

And I think, in your case, you should use a black mask to prevent an unwanted light leaks. In my workflow, I do not even try to scan without masks. It's very useful, when you do it right. In my case, using mask helps me keep away a nasty newton rings and unwanted light leaks on my scans.
Also, if you see a yellow cast on light foreground around really dark objects (when scanning negatives), you may check your mirrors/lens or sensor, there may be dust...

gabork
11-Feb-2016, 09:17
Hello,
I have found a little hack for this problem. You need to scan always the first negative on the bottom right of the glass, for ex. the number 1 of 6x7 mask.
If you want to scan several negatives you need to scan the number 1 first, after simply scan others negatives in the same queue. (With the same resolution)
Works for me on Iqsmart3.
Cyril B.