PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Film notch question

ScottPhotoCo
14-Mar-2013, 20:08
I loaded some film in my 4x5 holders a few weeks ago and then I moved and have completely forgotten what film I loaded. As much as I search and search I can find the notch that is on this film. It is a single v notch as referenced below. Thanks in advance!

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Mark Barendt
14-Mar-2013, 20:16
Dont know

Here's some reference https://www.google.com/search?q=film+notch+codes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en

Ari
14-Mar-2013, 20:19
Looks like it might be Acros.

Jon Shiu
14-Mar-2013, 20:37
Probably a generic notch mark just to mark the orientation.

Jon

Ari
14-Mar-2013, 20:41
Looks like it might be Acros.

I was way off on that, definitely not Acros.
Must be the Vicks VapoRub :)

Light Guru
14-Mar-2013, 20:52
I loaded some film in my 4x5 holders a few weeks ago and then I moved and have completely forgotten what film I loaded. As much as I search and search I can find the notch that is on this film. It is a single v notch as referenced below. Thanks in advance!

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Why not just look up the notches for the films you had available to you and compare those to the notch on the film in the film holder.

ScottPhotoCo
14-Mar-2013, 21:15
Tmax 400 uses a single V notch like that.

Someone also said that the old Tmax 100 has that notch. Hmmmmmm...

ScottPhotoCo
14-Mar-2013, 21:16
Why not just look up the notches for the films you had available to you and compare those to the notch on the film in the film holder.

Zak,

I'm inbetween two states right now finalizing my move so all of my existing films are in LA. Wish I could. :)

Jac@stafford.net
15-Mar-2013, 07:21
Have you ever used the now discontinued Fortepan 200? It is difficult to know exactly where the notch is placed.

Jim Andrada
17-Mar-2013, 21:54
I've run into this kind of mystery before - the lab I was using thought the film was something unusual. I think it was the same single notch and it turned out that the same single notch has been used for more than one film.

But I think this one is pretty simple. Do you use Tmax 400? If so then it's a pretty safe bet that this is Tmax 400. If you don't use it, then more detective work required.

Leigh
18-Mar-2013, 03:34
What films do you have? It was likely one of those. Look at the notch codes on the boxes.

- Leigh

Michael_4514
18-Mar-2013, 04:23
I used to have this problem now and again, but was always able to solve it because there are just so many types of film it could possibly be. Look up the notch codes for those films, and it's easy to figure it out from there. Now I write down in a notebook the type of film I load and when I load it. As long as I don't loose the notebook, I'm good.

Cor
18-Mar-2013, 06:56
I'll always place a removable coloured sticker on a loaded side of a holder, noting the type of film, and date loaded

(to go into detail:
white tab plus sticker loaded; unexposed
Black tab plus sticker: exposed
Black tab, no sticker: no film
White tab, no sticker: cleaned (air under pressure), no film

Probably more than you wanted to know, but it's my system, and I am sticking to it..;-)..)

Best,

Cor

I used to have this problem now and again, but was always able to solve it because there are just so many types of film it could possibly be. Look up the notch codes for those films, and it's easy to figure it out from there. Now I write down in a notebook the type of film I load and when I load it. As long as I don't loose the notebook, I'm good.

ImSoNegative
18-Mar-2013, 09:04
I just guess

David Lobato
18-Mar-2013, 10:19
Just my observation, the distance of a single v notch from the film edge seems to vary in the illustrations, and be another indication of the film type.

Brian C. Miller
18-Mar-2013, 12:25

How many different film emulsions do you use? You must have some kind of a guess about what you loaded based on what you usually use. Kodak? Ilford? Fuji? Other? Also, why not wait for developing the film until you have your stuff organized again? Obviously, the film images can't be critical if you can't remember what's in the holders. I'm guessing that when you exposed the film, you at least remembered what speed it was. If you can remember the film speed, that narrows the list of potential films significantly, not to mention if it was B&W or color.

Personally, I would just make a list of the likely suspects, look up on the Massive Development chart the times and developers, and go for it using an average. Or you could use this as a great time to learn how to develop by inspection! Or maybe one of the forum members here will do DBI for you. Can't hurt to ask.