PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Technika lenses and cams...

Morten
14-Mar-2013, 15:27
Hi

I'm currently contemplating getting my self a Linhof technika (I just need to sell one of the kids), and if so would like to occasionally use it with the rangefinder, as most of them have that and the very seriously looking handgrip. However in order to properly use the rangefinder the appropriate lenscam are needed, and in the IV series the cam must be matched with both the lens and the camera, on the V and Master series the cam needs to be matched only with the lens..

Trawling the web shows that the majority of the technikas are sold without a lens, now that is all well and good for non-rangefinder use. There are some honest exceptions, but they tend to be even more expensive (I would need to sell two kids and a kidney)

Thus the current prospect is then to get a V or Master without lens, and add that later.

So where to buy lenses with the right cam for a V or Master since they are only linked to the lens, I have yet to find them?
BTW, would a recessed lens board create havoc for the cam? or is it just a new closer in infinity stop?

Apparently you can still have cams made, but that takes time and adds a cost which could have been avoided.

Best Regards
Morten

Peter York
14-Mar-2013, 15:59
I have seen lenses for sale on ebay with the matching cam, but they are rarer commodities. Most stupidly split the lens off from the camera, or the cam from the lens (one reason why KEH is such a poor place to buy Linhof). The least expensive way is to buy the lens(es), camera and cam(s) as a set used. You pay more upfront, but it is cheaper.

You can get by with one lens and cam, and then create distance scales for your additional lenses, and translate the distance from the rangefinder/scale to the scale for the other lens. This works equally well with other 4x5 rangefinders like the Speed Graphic.

The expensive way is to have Linhof grind a cam for each lens you purchase. Most people probably have one to two lenses cammed in focal lengths they would use most often handheld.

Linhof is expensive but most purchase one knowing it will last a lifetime, providing film does as well.

Oren Grad
14-Mar-2013, 16:12
There is no place where you can expect to find a selection of cammed lenses ready to buy. It does cost some money to have a lens cammed, but it will likely save time compared to waiting in hopes of finding what you want second-hand. If you can find a complete set with camera plus cammed lenses that's great, but otherwise, you should just plan on having the lens or lenses of your choice cammed, and figure that into your budgeting.

If a Technika is beyond your budget once camming is included but you still want a modern technical camera, you could also consider a Wista 45RF with one or more of the Nikkor-W lenses for which its built-in cams are calibrated. A bit harder to find second-hand than a Technika, but when you find one it's likely to be substantially cheaper once you factor in the lenses.

Peter Yeti
14-Mar-2013, 16:22
I use a Super-Technika V with four cams from 90mm to 210mm. Non of the cams was ground for the corresponding lens but yet they seem to work just fine. The only issue I noticed is that the infinity position is not always the one where the focussing bed is all the way back. But when I use the range finder, I can focus for inifinity as well as for all other distances. But I must admit that I don't use the range finder very often and would be curious if others made similar observations.

Btw, a recessed lens board should have no other effect than the infinity stop being farther out (at least in my opinion).

Morten
14-Mar-2013, 16:39
Thanks, Peter and Oren for your inputs and good advice!

What are the current US price to have a lens cammed for a V or Master? What are the expected turnaround?

Oren Grad
14-Mar-2013, 16:40
BTW, would a recessed lens board create havoc for the cam? or is it just a new closer in infinity stop?

A recessed board just affects the infinity stop. In fact, if you want a Technika set up with a lens that you can leave on the camera when you close it, you'll need to use a recessed board. There's no problem camming it that way; in fact, you'll see normal lenses in recessed mounts in the Linhof promotional literature for the Technika.

Oren Grad
14-Mar-2013, 16:45
What are the current US price to have a lens cammed for a V or Master? What are the expected turnaround?

The problem in the US right now is that Martin Arndt, who was Linhof's designated agent for camming for the US market, passed away recently. Bob Salomon has mentioned that Bob Watkins will be going for factory training to pick up the baton from Martin, but I imagine that until then it may be necessary to send lenses to Linhof for camming. Of course, for those in Europe, that's what you'd want to do anyway.

I don't know about current pricing - I had my lenses cammed by Martin quite a few years back, and I'm sure the price has gone up since.

Peter Yeti
14-Mar-2013, 16:56
If I recall correctly, Linhof in Munich charges 200€ + 19% VAT. That's about $260 plus tax + s&h. Not sure if you have to pay tax, though.

richard700
14-Dec-2013, 14:50
You can find loose cams around, but it is very much 'hit and miss'.
Not only does the curve of the cam need to match a specific type of lens, but it must also match the camera.
A cam marked 150mm could be for a Symmar, Symmar-S, Apo-Symmar, Nikkor-W, etc... - I'm sure each lens design will be a slightly different curve.
A Technica V or Master takes some of the 'miss' out, but not all.
I've been told that age and use (abuse) can change the accuracy of the focus in V's and Masters and that can enter into it.
I've had some luck, however -
The first step is to find a cam that when it is in, and the bed is all the way back (where the rangefinder should be at infinity), the rangefinder is at infinity. If it is a little past, you can machine (or file) a little out of the "U" to get it to line up. If it is too short, tough.

BTW - easiest way to check infinity on a rangefinder is to draw two parallel lines on a piece of paper the EXACT same distance apart as the base of the rangefinder (generally the distance between the center of the windows). On the Technika it is 90mm. Draw opposing arrows one on one side on the top, and one on the other side on the bottom.

------------>-------------
|
90mm
|
|
--------------<-----------

Place it at any comfortable distance from the camera (6 ft) Not critical -
When the two lines appear as one with the arrows opposite, the rangefinder will be focused on infinity.

On the Technika, it is supposed to be with the rails all the way back.
Once that is correct, mount your lens so it is at infinity with the bed all the way back.
Then use a tape measure to see if the cam matches your lens at varying distances.

DISCLAIMER: My training is only from working on cameras for 50 yrs - I am not a Linhof tech.
This is just what I found works for me.

I checked recently with BlazesPhoto (Canada's Linhof Rep in Toronto) and they wanted $400 CDN for a cam for a Technika Master. More if the camera needs any adjustments. More if it needs to be mounted on a board. Subject to availability of the cams from the factory.
You send them your body and your lens - two week turnaround.
They want the body, even if it is a V or Master, because they want to make sure it is working to specs.

Now, does anyone know where I can find some 5x7 Technika V cams?
Now, those are hard to find.

Bill_1856
14-Dec-2013, 18:25
Before spending a boodle of dough on a Technika, I recommend that you actually TRY one. You may be surprised.