PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a beginner large format camera

Larry Huhn
12-Mar-2013, 15:10
I am ready to move into the world of (4x5) LF photography and I have been doing a lot of reading and research to get an idea of what I should be looking for in a camera and lens. It seems there are some good options out there in my price range but I am finding it difficult to make a final selection in a camera and lens. I want to buy used initially and I want a field camera. I plan to use it for landscapes, portraits and possibly some exteriors of buildings. I believe that a non-wooden camera is best for my use. Can anyone offer a thought process to help me narrow the choices a little more? I see some options on EBay but I don't know where to go from here. Maybe I am over thinking this process.

Thanks

Gem Singer
12-Mar-2013, 15:20
Larry, since you believe that non-wooden cameras are best for your use, consider the Toyo field cameras.

The CF45 is made of carbon fiber. There was one for sale on this forum a few days ago.

The Toyo "A" series are metal field cameras. Slightly more expensive, but built like tanks.

Ivan
12-Mar-2013, 19:47
I had a Toyo 45AII and also built like a tank, I would backpackit around the city and just shoot anything, it was good on the beach and in the snow, a superb allaround view camera. They are plenty used out there.
I've seen some new brands (to me ) like the Chamonix.
You can read this thread: "http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?88164-Seeking-perfect-field-4x5-camera"
Let us know what you get.

Lachlan 717
12-Mar-2013, 19:54
Larry,

What's the reasoning behind the non-wood preference? While there are plenty of metal 4x5s out there, I'd wage that there are a heap more wooden ones!

Perhaps throw your rationale out there to see what others think? There are so many shooters here, of both wooden and non-wooden that you should get a good gauge on its validity.

Best of luck in the hunt.

photoevangelist
12-Mar-2013, 20:13
Best to start cheap, then sell it and work your way up IMHO. (You might not even like large format in the long run)
Monorails can be had for practically nothing, sometimes including a lens. They can be a little difficult to take to the field (e.g Calumet and Cambo). I got mine for $150 (including a 210 Schneider Symmar-S) and a few holders. Once you get into the LARGER format demon you realize that that Calumet/Cambo 4x5 monorail isn't very heavy or as uncomfortable as it once seemed and it has all the movements you'll ever need. Great to learn on or use exclusively!

Speed Graflex and old (c. 1920s) Korona and Kodak cameras (though wooden) are nice too. I got my 5x7 for real cheap, and can get 4x5 reducing back for them. 5x7 is a nice format, and the camera is not that much larger than 4x5.

Investing in large format isn't as bad as new DSLR bodies, that will go from $3000+ to less than $100 in 10 years time (happened to me!). You should be able to get what you paid for in the large format stuff. Plenty of us are still interested - and more and more people are looking for a cheap way to enter the medium.

Just my two cents. :cool:

Ivan
12-Mar-2013, 20:39
I forgot to mention a friend of mine had a Speedgrafic 4x5 very well built.

Larry Huhn
12-Mar-2013, 21:13
Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted.

Leszek Vogt
12-Mar-2013, 21:31
Larry, you might have to contend with the weight issues if metal is your choice. There are several wooden rigs that are below 5lbs. I have a 4x5 C41X Calumet and it's nearly twice as heavy (yes, metal) as the wooden 5x7 I just got (early 1900's Kodak). The only reason I keep the 4x5 is because I like how Acros renders.

If you understand what lenses you liked in FF/MF....you can translate that into LF. Check the tables. My own preference is more tele look or WA, so 210mm is just too boring for me, but I'll still play with it and see if I can use it in some capacity. Good luck.

Les

John Kasaian
12-Mar-2013, 21:42
You can have an awful lot of fun with an old Calumet or Graphic monorail and a 210mm or 150mm lens and a box of Arista .eduUltra for not much money.
Just sayin'

Bernice Loui
12-Mar-2013, 21:48
Rather than focus on the camera, decide what lenses fit your work and where and how the camera will be used. Once this is better known, the a camera choice can be made. LF is not like roll film where the user is far more locked in by the camera manufacture for optics. LF cameras are more like a flexi box with a lens on one end the recording media on the other. Optics choices for LF is quite large with moderate limits. Do consider a camera system that offers enough flexibility and capability to cover your current and possible future needs.

Newer view camera may not be better than older ones depending on actual needs rather than fashion.

Bernice

I am ready to move into the world of (4x5) LF photography and I have been doing a lot of reading and research to get an idea of what I should be looking for in a camera and lens. It seems there are some good options out there in my price range but I am finding it difficult to make a final selection in a camera and lens. I want to buy used initially and I want a field camera. I plan to use it for landscapes, portraits and possibly some exteriors of buildings. I believe that a non-wooden camera is best for my use. Can anyone offer a thought process to help me narrow the choices a little more? I see some options on EBay but I don't know where to go from here. Maybe I am over thinking this process.

Thanks

ramon
13-Mar-2013, 06:50
... It seems there are some good options out there in my price range but I am finding it difficult to make a final selection in a camera and lens.

First of all: What is your price range? A good complete kit can be expensive, but money saver.

Maybe I am over thinking this process.

Thanks

It's better to think twice and buy just once than to buy two times. LF mistakes are very expensive.

(We can give you advice on cameras and lenses, and also on "current" prices. What have you seen out there? What kind of cameras and lenses do you like?)

ramon
13-Mar-2013, 07:22
Checklist:

Camera: $85 .. $2500 (modern field camera starts from $450)
(monorail starts from $85)
Lens: $50 .. $1000
Filmholders: $15 .. $30 piece.
Changing bag: $0 if you already have a big one. If you don't have: $30.
Spotmeter: $0 (digital camera). Otherwise > $100
Lupe: Optional. Used ones: $10 .. $100
Focusing hood: Optional, use old black shirt. Comercial ones > $40
Development tank: Optional if you send to lab. Otherwise > $100
Scanner: No needed if send to lab. Otherwise $500 to $2000.

You can start cheap with just camera, one lens, filmholder and changing bag.

Be aware of cheap things: You can find cheap items but actually useless, or real bargains.

It takes time (and money) to identify the real bargains, but you can ask here.

Jeff Keller
14-Mar-2013, 12:24
I would second Bernice's advice to think about lenses first. Portraits and macro tend towards needing a lot of bellows extension. Shooting buildings with wide angle lenses or using roll film tends to require movements with very little extension. These two extremes tend to be mutually exclusive when you also care about portability.

The metal Canham cameras (DLC or MQC) have some of the widest range specifications for their standard bellows. A Ebony SW can do better at the shortest focal lengths. If you also want to shoot roll film, you will often be using short focal lengths. A Sinar can be readily extended using multiple bellows to lengths greater than you are likely to even consider.

Good luck deciding what will be most important to yourself,
Jeff Keller

C. D. Keth
14-Mar-2013, 12:37
You can have an awful lot of fun with an old Calumet or Graphic monorail and a 210mm or 150mm lens and a box of Arista .eduUltra for not much money.
Just sayin'

This is what I would do, and how I wish I started into large format. A lot of people say they want a field camera and then never get more than a mile from the car. Take the cheap camera, learn everything a view camera can do, and then you'll be better equipped to make decisions involving more money like other lenses, different camera, etc.

DannL
14-Mar-2013, 12:45
Here's a list of lenses and lens data for reference. I just purchased two lenses on ebay that were listed here, the Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm, and the Rodenstock Geronar 150mm. In both cases I payed less than half the price listed, which I assume is MSRP. Ebay has been a good source for inexpensive gear and parts research.

https://sites.google.com/site/largecamerashop/Home/large-camera-lens

My thoughts for a beginner . . . I would not recommend a monorail system solely for field work. I just purchased a Sinar F1 and ended up having to supplement it with a field camera for doing field work. Call it "The great awakening". But, now I have a studio camera, and a field camera.