PDA

View Full Version : Do you know if R.D. Gray made his E.W.A. Periscope larger then size #9 12.5"fl ?

Louis Pacilla
11-Mar-2013, 19:06
I have found adds supporting up to size #9 12.6 fl covering 25x30 and the #8 10"fl covering 20x24 but those are the two longest I can find. I ask because I found a really nice and complete #8 and was under the impression it was the second to longest made. I added a group photo of Extreme Aangle Periscopes from R-L size 8,5,4.

Here's something I found pretty interesting. If you look at the last attachment which came from a book on optics from Google books(I forget which book but I think the author was Hans Hartings ) . This bit of writing (if true) is a rather important fact in the history of optics and it seems to have been over looked . Well maybe not all that important.

Hey Garrett I asked this question directly to you in this post http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?100648-Lens-at-around-600mm-840mm-with-image-circle-of-52inch where you stated a size #10 exists but I can't find anything in print to support this size. Can you link me to the info or post it as attachment? I appreciate it.

goamules
12-Mar-2013, 09:47
Hi Louis, nice collection! I need to get another of these, I have a small one (that still covers an impressive width). I'm looking for the ad I referenced. Different years listed a no. 8, 9, or 10 as the largest. Good writeup here in Wilsons (http://books.google.com/books?id=17oaAAAAYAAJ&dq=rd%20gray%20extreme&pg=PA332#v=onepage&q=rd%20gray%20&f=false).

Louis Pacilla
12-Mar-2013, 11:50
Hey Garrett Thanks for getting back to me as. You're the very one I was trying to reach.

I tripped into my #8 E A Periscope so was trying to nail down the largest fl I don't know that I'll keep it forever to be honest and would not want to misguide a possible future owner . Not that I have plans to sell it now and it's strictly for my curiosity.

Like I said the longest I have found listed in many a R.D. Gray adds is the #9 at 12.5" and the earlier adds only seemed to go up to the #8. This is both in magazine adds as well as different supply house catalogs. Like you I have hundreds of full view Google books and have not found any mention above #9 in there but certainly does not mean I didn't miss one with #10 So as soon as or if you locate a printed add could ya kick me a link or snip it and post as attachment I would really appreciate it.

I had found that Wilson write up & snipped that one too so it's on file and it's a great little read on the E A Periscope . Thanks for posting the link .

Don't know how many adds I have but at least 6-8 and like I said the longest so far is the #9. Here are a few of the adds I have on file so far. Also a few more interesting little bits of Gray info in a following post

Louis Pacilla
12-Mar-2013, 12:04
Here are a couple more with hopes dashed for "Gray's stereo lens set" as well as the f4 "Plano" by Gray-Loydd.:rolleyes:.

goamules
12-Mar-2013, 18:53
Hi, I may have misread an ad for their regular periscop, which did have a no. 10. Not finding it now for a Extreme Wide Angle.

jcoldslabs
12-Mar-2013, 20:28
I'm enjoying this discussion as an owner of a 21" No. 8 'regular' Gray Periscope, serial no. 13xx. Does anyone know more about R.D. Gray in general? When I was researching Gray's lenses, the photos Garrett posted to Flickr were just about the only examples I could find of photos taken with one. I'll post some of my own once I get around to mounting it.

Jonathan

CCHarrison
13-Mar-2013, 03:29
You can read a lot of entries about RD Gray here: https://www.google.com/search?q=richard+dd+gray+optician#q=rd+gray+lens+optician&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&tbm=bks&source=lnt&tbs=bkv:r&sa=X&ei=mFRAUefnLaa50AGFpoHgAw&ved=0CB0QpwUoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=1496380e34174c64&biw=1920&bih=888

Dan

Louis Pacilla
13-Mar-2013, 12:46
I'm enjoying this discussion as an owner of a 21" No. 8 'regular' Gray Periscope, serial no. 13xx. Does anyone know more about R.D. Gray in general? When I was researching Gray's lenses, the photos Garrett posted to Flickr were just about the only examples I could find of photos taken with one. I'll post some of my own once I get around to mounting it.

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan

Don't know if you know this but R.D Gray basically made three lenses

1)" The Periscope" which was a slower rectilinear lens which unlike the Rapid Rectilinear which works at f8 the Gray Periscope started at f15 but with the advantage of probably better corrections and better image circle. it covered 75 degrees stopped down.

2) "The Wide Angle Periscope" which worked at f14 and covers up to 85 degrees stopped down. This and the extreme angle Periscope may have been two of the first mass produced lenses to use the new Jena glass. Not sure the straight Periscope used the new lens.

3) "The Extreme Angle Periscope " This was the lens that brought a bit of fame to Mr Gray for it's anastigmatic corrections in a lens with 115 degrees at small stops. Think this was the 1st that he incorporated Jena glass in I believe the Crown lens and he switched the traditional order of the Crown/Flint I forget which way.

So these are the three Periscopes I have added all three Periscopes taken from a 1893 G. Gennert Catalog so Mr Gray must have made all three at the same time. Hope this info helps a little.

jcoldslabs
13-Mar-2013, 13:34
Louis,

That's great info. Thank you.

Jonathan

P.S. I'm curious to know if the No. 8 that I have will really cover 20x24 stopped down as the advertisement indicates. I'd have to set up a giant dark box to find out!

goamules
13-Mar-2013, 15:48
Yeah, they're wide! How wide?
- So wide when you look in the ground glass you see your backside.
- So wide you can see past the edges of the ground glass.
- So wide that a sitter on the other side of the lens reports seeing "another world in there, with thousands of tiny people and brighter, sharper colors."

A 5x8 taken with one:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4080/4873812162_93a4f4e07f_b.jpg

jcoldslabs
1-Apr-2013, 02:56
Saw this lens on Eb@y and wondered if it was a re-branded Gray. Anyone know?

Jonathan