PDA

View Full Version : silver stains in clothes

Karl Amo
19-May-2004, 18:57
Do any of you who make your own papers know who to remove silver stains from clothes?

Jon_2416
19-May-2004, 23:32
HC110!

:D

Philippe Gauthier
20-May-2004, 11:12
Jon: Any real life experience with HC110? Because I doubt it will work. I once dropped a bit of silver nitrate solution on my darkroom counter. It stained a bit when I opened the lights. A few weeks later, I spilled a few drops of HC110 and tried to wipe it out. It litterally revealed all the silver present in tne counter, making the stains much worse.

About your clothes. Perhaps will a bleaching agent like potassium ferricyanide will help ; you could even try with the bleach solution of Kodak two baths sepia. Another possibility would be to use nitric acid (in a weak solution); it will turn your silver into water soluble silver nitrate.

While these two strategies might conceivably work to remove silver stains, I doubt they'll so any good to your clothes, however...

RichSBV
20-May-2004, 12:10
The Darkroom Cookbook has several stain removing formulas, and apparently one of them was a commercial Kodak product. Don't know if they can still be bought.

They mostly conatin Potassium Permanganate (some use nastier chemicals though).

The simplest is

Potassium Permanganate 7.3 grams water 1.0 liter

soak in this solution for a minute. Then rinse in:

Soodium bisultite 90 grams water 1.0 liter

and wash with soap & water...

Jon_2416
20-May-2004, 15:40
Philippe,

>Jon: Any real life experience with HC110?

I thought that the exclamation point and the smiley would convey that it was a joke...

So much for comedy!

Jon

Karl Amo
20-May-2004, 18:34
Thanks for the suggestions, and the joke ;-)

Karl