PDA

View Full Version : Large format gear bag

Professional
11-Mar-2013, 04:19
Hi again,

I want to know your recommendations about a bag to accommodate 1 LF camera [almost lightweight field camera or a Graphic model one] with say 2-3 lenses and some film holders say up to 8-10, i don't want very big but also it shouldn't be small so it has rooms, i am open to all options and i prefer if some had bought and experimented it rather than some recommend me according to what they read without they tested it.

Peter Lewin
11-Mar-2013, 04:55
Professional: I, and many on this forum, use a backpack rather than a shoulder bag. You can get various recommendations. I have used a Tenba, but switched to a slightly lighter www.photobackpacker.com backpack, with one compartment (they are padded cases which attach via velcro internally) for the field camera, and one three-lens case; there is ample room in the main compartment to add holders (I typically carry six, you can fit more) and a dark cloth. The external compartment easily takes two light meters (spot and incident) and all the small things one typically carries, and there is a tripod pocket on the side. (I have no connection with photobackpacker other than being a happy customer.)

Professional
11-Mar-2013, 05:46
Professional: I, and many on this forum, use a backpack rather than a shoulder bag. You can get various recommendations. I have used a Tenba, but switched to a slightly lighter www.photobackpacker.com backpack, with one compartment (they are padded cases which attach via velcro internally) for the field camera, and one three-lens case; there is ample room in the main compartment to add holders (I typically carry six, you can fit more) and a dark cloth. The external compartment easily takes two light meters (spot and incident) and all the small things one typically carries, and there is a tripod pocket on the side. (I have no connection with photobackpacker other than being a happy customer.)

Thanks Peter, looks like a good option, i will read more and have a better look on that brand bags and decide later.

I also prefer backpack bag, i have only one shoulder bag i bought as first ever one when i started photography and then i never looked back again for another shoulder bag.

Michael Graves
11-Mar-2013, 05:55
I'm with Peter. I've got one of the Tamrac backpacks. My Chamonix, six film holders and four lenses fit comfortably. And some Series VI and VII filters and a cable release fits into the flap pouch. The whole kit weighs in at around 20 pounds.

Professional
11-Mar-2013, 05:57
I'm with Peter. I've got one of the Tamrac backpacks. My Chamonix, six film holders and four lenses fit comfortably. And some Series VI and VII filters and a cable release fits into the flap pouch. The whole kit weighs in at around 20 pounds.

You don't remember which of the Tamrac bag is that you chose? I may take so long time to look at all Tamrac models to find the right one, i am not good in dimensions.

Preston
11-Mar-2013, 05:59
I will second the recommendation to use a backpack. Your shoulders, back, and hips will thank you. I also heartily recommend the PhotoBackPacker pack with the Light Gear cases for lenses and camera. I just acquired one of these packs and I really like it. Apart from it being lighter, it's suspension (shoulder straps, back panel and hip belt) are very well designed so as to relieve stress on your upper body. In short, it carries better than any 'photo' backpack I've used. Like Peter, I have no connection with photobackpacker, other than being a satisfied customer).

--P

Professional
11-Mar-2013, 06:04
If any photo samples of those bags will give me a good idea, i have many bags but only one is full of film gear [all medium format] and it is a wheel rolling one only, so a backpack will be a first choice for sure.
I have some old Lowepro backpack but they are not the perfect one i want to use, so i will leave them for DSLRs as backup bags, i have time to think about a big for this one i asked here.

nimo956
11-Mar-2013, 06:46
Check out bags by F-Stop Gear.

Professional
11-Mar-2013, 06:48
Check out bags by F-Stop Gear.

Thank you!

DrTang
11-Mar-2013, 07:31
Ya know - those old Graflex volcanoid cases were made just for all that - you can even put a shoulder strap on them

not great for trapsing around the woods - but for going from house to car to location..or for more industrial situations - quicker and easier than a backpack

adelorenzo
11-Mar-2013, 09:20
I have a Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter that was in the clearance bin at the local camera shop. I'm not totally sure of the size but it is one of the larger ones. Anyways, it holds a field camera, lenses, dark cloth etc. with tons of room to spare. The thing I really like is that there are two rectangular shaped side pockets (under the flap) that are perfectly sized for film holders. I've lugged it around on foot and used it as carry-on to take my camera on planes.

Going out in the bush I would use a backpack but it's a pretty handy bag for cities and traveling.

lenser
11-Mar-2013, 09:36
The old Zone VI bags hold a ton of stuff if you can find one. They are a shoulder bag, but also have anchor points on the back to attach to a pack frame if you prefer.

Professional
11-Mar-2013, 10:16
Cool, now i have more than one option to choose from, i will check out my camera dimensions and how many lenses and other stuff i want to buy then i will see which one i better go with.

John Kasaian
11-Mar-2013, 10:57
For a backpack type, my 5x7 rides in a Jansport Equinox with plenty of room for film holders, dark cloth, meter, spare lens etc...

Alan Gales
11-Mar-2013, 11:11
Backpacks are probably the best way to go for most people. I have a bad back (fusion) and can't get along with them so I use a Cordura tool bag that I bought online from Home Depot. It has a telescoping handle and wheels on the bottom. It was also dirt cheap compared to the ones designed for photographic gear.

It works great for me but of course I don't go hiking with it.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Mar-2013, 11:24
I use a backpack for field work, usually with a Super Technika. I use a Canon brand pack. The 'Canon' emblem is plastic. I snapped off the 'C', making it an 'anon' brand. :) For 8x10 work I try to use a field cart I made from a backpack frame. It is still not a good fit.

Kodachrome25
11-Mar-2013, 11:48
I ski double black diamond terrain on a regular basis with this Lowepro Flipside 15L loaded with a Chamonix, 5 lenses, 6 holders a 6x12 back, filters and a Manfrotto 190CXPRO-4 tripod, etc...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lowepro+15L&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

It's light, has a great tripod holder, small Camelbak compartment and fits well. Only draw back is lack of small pockets on the exterior. I use the smaller 10L version for my on mountain Hasselblad system.

Daniel Stone
11-Mar-2013, 12:03
are you looking to "travel" with this bag/case, or do hiking/climbing with it?

Personally, I've found a Pelican 1510 case to be the easiest(and most sturdy) to work out of when close to the car:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330237-REG/Pelican_1510_004_110_1514_Carry_On_1510.html

However, when working AWAY(like more than 200yds) from the car, I use a regular ol' backpack w/ both 4x5 and 8x10 systems. I put holders + lenses/acc's in backpack, camera is mounted on tripod carried over shoulder.
Recently found it at the thrift store, this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Hemlock-Messenger-Brown-Medium/dp/B001UHNT32/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

cheers,
Dan

unixrevolution
11-Mar-2013, 12:47
From my personal experience, I fit a Super Graphic and up to 6 lenses (3 rather large ones plus 3 very slim ones), plus a grafmatic and 5-8 regular holders , spotmeter, reflected light meter, cable release, pistol grip, and even a changing bag in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Digital-Video-Camera-ACPRO1400/dp/B00079SWNQ

It's well made, pretty easy to reconfigure, and has lots of pocketses.

The whole kit is no more tiresome to lug around than a fairly big SLR setup and it's easily accessible on the go. The strap is comfy as well.

It doesn't have a good place for a tripod, but I have a camera sling on my Tripod and carry it over the shoulder too.

domaz
11-Mar-2013, 13:24
If you want a shoulder bag instead of a backpack, which are easier to use for casual outings, then go to your local thrift shop and look for an old camcoder bag. Back in the day camcorders where quite large and thus many large camcorder bags are still around. I use one and can carry a 5x7 speed graphic and extra lenses with holders in a seperate outside pocket with ease.

Professional
12-Mar-2013, 06:57
Thank you very much for all your help, but many options will not help much here.

I have a Pelican 1610, i love it, but i am looking for to buy another hard case, and that one i have will be used if i travel, but for now it is accommodating my DSLR gear only.

I want a bag for hiking around in the city and using my car, so most of the time i will keep the bag in the car and sometimes i walk around with it, so i don't want a heavy bag which is a matter of a hard case also not a shoulder bag as well, i go with most here to get a backpack, i have many backpack bags but they are all or most are filled with equipment so far, 2 are empty but they are not good enough for my LF gear.

I have Shen Hao HZX45 IIA now, but i am planning in the future to get Ebony or Linhof, not sure yet, but once i get another camera body then my Shen Hao will be ignored or to be as a backup but will not carry it with newer body anymore, i plan only to carry one camera with another stuff, one moe camera as a back will be in a separate bag, in fact i still have that Aluminium hard case for my Shen Hao which it came with, so i will keep this for Shen Hao camera only when i get new LF body.

cmace127
12-Mar-2013, 10:36
Anybody have experience with the Boblbee line of bags? They're on the pricey side but look quite protective with a hard shell and dirt/splash cover.

Here is the PROCAM 500XT:

http://www.boblbee.com/rw/artiklar/kategorilfullpost.asp?ID=1217&flik=223&acc=

Nicolasllasera
12-Mar-2013, 10:47
I use a Lowepro Flipside Pro 15L AW. I pack a Ebony RW45, 4 lenses (72mm XL, 90mm XL, 58mm XL and a normal 135mm), 5/6 film holders, Sekonic L-608, loupe, dark cloth, multitool, phone and a Manfrotto 055 tripod with Manfrotto 410 head. It fits just fine but no room for more. Backpack is waterproof and has multiple jackets to cover. You can hike easily with it on. And the zipper opens towards your back so nowone can pick into your bag.

Professional
12-Mar-2013, 11:00
I use a Lowepro Flipside Pro 15L AW. I pack a Ebony RW45, 4 lenses (72mm XL, 90mm XL, 58mm XL and a normal 135mm), 5/6 film holders, Sekonic L-608, loupe, dark cloth, multitool, phone and a Manfrotto 055 tripod with Manfrotto 410 head. It fits just fine but no room for more. Backpack is waterproof and has multiple jackets to cover. You can hike easily with it on. And the zipper opens towards your back so nowone can pick into your bag.

Great, i will visit a local store here which sell Lowepro bags and i bought 2 bags from them before and see that model you mentioned, i hope it will be the one i look for.

Graybeard
14-Mar-2013, 14:53
Thank you very much for all your help, but many options will not help much here.

I have a Pelican 1610, i love it, but i am looking for to buy another hard case, and that one i have will be used if i travel, but for now it is accommodating my DSLR gear only.

I want a bag for hiking around in the city and using my car, so most of the time i will keep the bag in the car and sometimes i walk around with it, so i don't want a heavy bag which is a matter of a hard case also not a shoulder bag as well, i go with most here to get a backpack, i have many backpack bags but they are all or most are filled with equipment so far, 2 are empty but they are not good enough for my LF gear.

I have Shen Hao HZX45 IIA now, but i am planning in the future to get Ebony or Linhof, not sure yet, but once i get another camera body then my Shen Hao will be ignored or to be as a backup but will not carry it with newer body anymore, i plan only to carry one camera with another stuff, one moe camera as a back will be in a separate bag, in fact i still have that Aluminium hard case for my Shen Hao which it came with, so i will keep this for Shen Hao camera only when i get new LF body.

For carrying/toting your gear, as opposed to backpacking it into the mountains, I suggest that you consider a canvas toolbag of the type offered at Home Depot or Lowes. These are rugged and quite good value for the money. A 4x5, some film holders, and a couple of lenses will fit into one nicely. I've carried such a kit on airliners more than once.

Trigeek
14-Mar-2013, 15:19
Don't laugh, but I use a Pelican 1510 hard case and place this in a Kelty Cache Hauler. Case and tripod are all strapped in between the flaps and when properly cinched down feels pretty good. I like the protection from rain it offers and when I place the whole thing down on the tarp, I just open the case and everything is very accessible. Granted I don't walk around the city with this contraption, but for on the trail I really like it. FYI... I took off the wheel assembly and pull out handle to save a few pounds. I screw it back in when I travel.

http://www.kelty.com/p-272-cache-hauler-frame-only.aspx

Drew Bedo
14-Mar-2013, 16:03

I am currently using this LowePro Magnum shoulder bag to pack my Wista with 3 lenses and 8 film holders, meter & loup and all the rest. It will fit on my lap when riding on a bus or in an airline overhead. If walking around it straps onto a set of heavy duty luggage wheels.

If I need to scale down by several pounds, I can leave out two lenases and put it all into a smaller 35mm camera bag.

Trigeek
14-Mar-2013, 16:44
I am currently using this LowePro Magnum shoulder bag to pack my Wista with 3 lenses and 8 film holders, meter & loup and all the rest. It will fit on my lap when riding on a bus or in an airline overhead. If walking around it straps onto a set of heavy duty luggage wheels.

If I need to scale down by several pounds, I can leave out two lenases and put it all into a smaller 35mm camera bag.

Quite impressive what you can fit into that bag... same with the Zone VI someone showed. How much does your total kit weigh?

Drew Bedo
14-Mar-2013, 18:45
Well thats because it IS the same kit. The camera was actually made by Wista in the 1980s for Zone VI.

The whole kit in the picture weigh in at 22 pounds. It all goes onto a luggage dolly whenever possible.
A carbon tripod straps onto the lid.

This rig is not as bomb-proof as the Pelican hard case. I have a Pelican roll-around but can't get all this into it, and I can't figure how to bring along the tripod.

nonuniform
18-Mar-2013, 11:19
I'm also a big fan of the photobackpacker cases, but I bought my own Kelty Red Wing pack. I have been known to carry 2 4x5's, a Mamiya 6, my D800 and 20 film holders (10 sheets of Portra 160 and 10 sheets of Portra 400), a flash, light stand and CF tripod lashed on the back. yeah.

I've climbed up and over roof tops, rock outcroppings, etc. Very happy with my kit.

Professional
21-Mar-2013, 08:31
Thank you very much!

Once i buy a bag, i will let you know here.

Shootar401
21-Mar-2013, 11:48
I can fit a 4x5 Speed, Aero Ektar, 90/150/210mm lenses, 8 holders, 8 77mm filters, meter, dark cloth, towel, misc tools, spare batteries and a bottle of water in a ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro. Plus a Bogen 3011 with a 410 head strapped to the back.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-pro-backpack.aspx

tenderobject
13-Apr-2013, 05:43
i'm torned between photobackpacker and f64 BPX for 8x10.. anyone have used for sale? :D

Leigh
13-Apr-2013, 06:36
I have two BPX packs, one for the 4x5 kit and one for the 8x10 kit. I like them very much.

The 8x10 Tachihara fills the main pack, a 4x5 reducing back fits in the pouch, and three lenses fit in the top section.
No room for film holders. They live in their own packs.

The 4x5 kit is rather extensive. Zone VI lives in the pouch, a dozen lenses + filters and hoods in the main section, miscellaneous accessories in the top section. No film holders. They live in myriad separate f.64 holder packs.

- Leigh

tenderobject
13-Apr-2013, 13:41
thanks leigh, i read that the belt on f64 is useless for small peeps. i'm anxious with that since i'm just 5'7 hehe.. plus the one i'm looking for used at adorama was sold for $75! i should've bought that a while ago., right now i'm looking for this[ i'm pretty sure i got the link from here..

http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/tilopa-bc

anyone using this bag for 8x10?

thanks!

QUOTE=Leigh;1014505]I have two BPX packs, one for the 4x5 kit and one for the 8x10 kit. I like them very much.

The 8x10 Tachihara fills the main pack, a 4x5 reducing back fits in the pouch, and three lenses fit in the top section.
No room for film holders. They live in their own packs.

The 4x5 kit is rather extensive. Zone VI lives in the pouch, a dozen lenses + filters and hoods in the main section, miscellaneous accessories in the top section. No film holders. They live in myriad separate f.64 holder packs.

- Leigh[/QUOTE]

nonuniform
14-Apr-2013, 00:34
I can fit a 4x5 Speed, Aero Ektar, 90/150/210mm lenses, 8 holders, 8 77mm filters, meter, dark cloth, towel, misc tools, spare batteries and a bottle of water in a ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro. Plus a Bogen 3011 with a 410 head strapped to the back.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-pro-backpack.aspx

Seriously? Wow. I had one of those and couldn't fit nearly as much in it!

Nigels
16-Apr-2013, 06:52
I have an Ebony 45SU and four lenses which I carry round in my F-Stop Satori EXP. A very comfortable rucksack but quite expensive. ( http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/satori-exp )

Jonathan Barlow
16-Apr-2013, 11:02
In an urban setting, I wheel an 8x10 Deardorff with a 12" Kodak Commercial Ektar reverse mounted, and either six 8x10 film holders or a Calumet 8x10 Polaroid field processor, film holder, and film in a square nylon cooler mounted on a hand cart. I carry a Gitzo with a Manfrotto geared head in my left hand.

The cart looks like this, but the color's different:

ScottPhotoCo
16-Apr-2013, 12:26
For $80 I just picked this up on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HTUVOE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It carries my Deardorff 4x5 special, 2-3 additional lenses, 5-7 4x5 film holders, dark cloth, loupe and a few other misc items nicely. Haven't tried anything larger yet. Seems well made and doesn't scream EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT INSIDE. Works well for me.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Jonathan Barlow
16-Apr-2013, 13:24
In an urban setting, I wheel an 8x10 Deardorff with a 12" Kodak Commercial Ektar reverse mounted, and either six 8x10 film holders or a Calumet 8x10 Polaroid field processor, film holder, and film in a square nylon cooler mounted on a hand cart. I carry a Gitzo with a Manfrotto geared head in my left hand.

The cart looks like this, but the color's different:

Oh, and the cooler/cart combo only costs $30 and because of the insulation built into the cooler, provides a nice amount of padding. There's also a large zippered front pocket and an expandable zippered top pocket. I bought it at BJ's in the US.

anglophone1
16-Apr-2013, 13:35
Pacemaker speed, aero Ektar,90mm Angulon , 135mm Xenar, 5 inch Petzval, 6 darkslides, gossen digisix meter
Billiingham Hadley Pro

john borrelli
16-Apr-2013, 15:32
Well maybe just another perspective.

I was using a photo backpack and may return to it, but for now I am dividing up the equipment into separate bags for my ultralight outfit. One 4x5 woodfield at less than 4 lbs, one 150mm lens(photobackpacker lens case), pentax digital spotmeter, lightest lupe and level I own, two Chamonix film holders(a little lighter than the plastic ones) and a hybrid blackjacket focusing cloth (heavier than I would like but excellent for cameras with a dim ground glass like mine). The tripod is a light Gitzo cf and ultralight gitzo magnesium ballhead.

I carry the tripod in one hand, I carry the folded camera body in a photobackpacker camera case that I put in a lowe pro bag that came with the shoulder bag and has no measurable weight and I carry that bag by the bag's handle; I use a shoulder bag for the other things mentioned. Extras that I am not likely to use stay in the car in a small gym bag these items include extra film holders, filters(I have a great set of filters but not using them for color slide film or black and white negative film to save weight), a bungee chord and mesh grocery bag (for rocks to add weight to the tripod when needed),a few other light items.

The equipment that I am carrying seems lighter than some of the 35mm film camera outfits I have used in the past and not using a backpack in the traditional sense is much easier on my back.

Former Member 27732
17-Apr-2013, 05:49
I did something similar with the 8x10 kit - thinking it would distribute the weight better. An old Kata backpack for the camera and small bits, an old laptop shoulder bag for 6 film holders, a small lowepro for four lenses (90, 150, 210, 300) held in one hand and the manfrotto in the other. Needless to say, it didn't work - too much weight swinging about making it very difficult (and annoying) to walk any decent distance.

Culled the 300mm lens & 3 film holders and some of the other bits and managed to squeeze the rest into the Kata. It's about 14Kg all up, but easier to get around with. Now all I need to do is cull some of my waistline.

Frank...