PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining old folding leather viewing hoods advice wanted

Tin Can
10-Mar-2013, 21:49
I have at least 4 old leather folding leather viewing hoods in good, but drying shape. I have some that are destroyed by dry-out and usage. I have also a B&J 5X7 cloth hood that has permanently imprinted on the OE GG.

I would like to keep the good ones in usable condition, as I am now using these cameras, which have obviously been unused for decades.

Any advice on the proper 'goose grease' to use?

I don't want to over do it and end up with a greasy camera, GG or film holders.

I have used Obenauf Heavy Duty Leather Preservative for boots and jackets, it's great, but it is a grease. Any ideas?

Roger Thoms
10-Mar-2013, 22:35
Yes this is something I've been wondering but in regards to bellows. I have treated my 2D bellows with Lexol Leather Conditioner, definitely improved the suppleness, and so far I don't see any I'll affects. One the plus side the Lexol isn't oily or greasy. Might be worth a try on your viewing hoods. Hopefully others will weigh in as I'm sure there are other products that are as good or even better.

Roger

Tin Can
10-Mar-2013, 22:47
I will look into Lexol. I have never used it. I do have some real dry B&J red bellows, but I think they are plastic. I do have leather 8x10 Horseman bellows I better get after. The plastic bellow may be un-saveable. I think current advice is Armor All is bad for plastic.

Yes this is something I've been wondering but in regards to bellows. I have treated my 2D bellows with Lexol Leather Conditioner, definitely improved the suppleness, and so far I don't see any I'll affects. One the plus side the Lexol isn't oily or greasy. Might be worth a try on your viewing hoods. Hopefully others will weigh in as I'm sure there are other products that are as good or even better.

Roger

Roger Thoms
10-Mar-2013, 23:13
Try you local auto parts stores for the Lexol. Not sure what to use on the B&J bellows, but your right about Armorall. That's also something Iv'e been wondering about too, for you guessed it, a B&J red bellows.

Roger

E. von Hoegh
11-Mar-2013, 07:00
Pure Neatsfoot oil, applied sparingly. Lexol is about as good, but contains water so be careful not to dissolve any glues.

E. von Hoegh
11-Mar-2013, 07:02
I will look into Lexol. I have never used it. I do have some real dry B&J red bellows, but I think they are plastic. I do have leather 8x10 Horseman bellows I better get after. The plastic bellow may be un-saveable. I think current advice is Armor All is bad for plastic.

Armor All is good for making your car's upholstry shiny and slippery, not much else.
When plastic begins to get brittle, it's losing it's plasticisers. Time to replace it.

Jody_S
11-Mar-2013, 09:49
You can also use Pledge furniture polish, the yellow can.

E. von Hoegh
11-Mar-2013, 10:20
You can also use Pledge furniture polish, the yellow can.

I guess the oils and waxes would make dried out leather a bit more supple, but the natural oils in something like Lexol or Neatsfoot oil will actually preserve and "feed" the leather.

C. D. Keth
11-Mar-2013, 11:12
Neatsfoot or mink oil. If the object is really dry, apply some oil, heat the object in a warm oven (less than 150 degrees) and then apply again. The heat will thin the oils and make them wick further into the leather by capillary action.

coisasdavida
11-Mar-2013, 12:53
I have a Teechnika III with original bellows, when I got it the bellows was so dry and all I had was Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula hand cream. Amazing results!

Tin Can
11-Mar-2013, 13:04
It has occurred to me to use hand creme and Neutrogena is very good stuff. I am going to try it. It moistens skin, but then dries without greasy feelings.

That is a great suggestion!

I have a Teechnika III with original bellows, when I got it the bellows was so dry and all I had was Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula hand cream. Amazing results!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
11-Mar-2013, 13:57
... Lexol is about as good, but contains water so be careful not to dissolve any glues.

I have had issues with Lexol dissolving glues, so be careful!

John Kasaian
11-Mar-2013, 23:17
100% neatsfoot oil (NOT compound)is good stuff, as is mink oil, and glycerin. It really depends on how hard and far gone the leather is. Warming the oil helps, as others have mentioned. If you have something to support the leather while you're rubbing, warmed bees wax makes a fine dressing. I have a Brooks saddle on my old 10 speed P08 that needs serious attention:o You can also try Bag Balm or Hoof Alive from the feed store.

Tin Can
11-Mar-2013, 23:33
A lot of sources do not like neatsfoot. I quote here, from a Leather Belt maker, 'The Beltman' good belts btw,

"Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP) is the most durable protection available for leather on the face of the planet. Originally developed for the extraordinary conditions endured by wildland firefighters, LP protects, preserves, and restores furniture, boots, saddles, motorcycle leathers, fine apparel, tool pouches, gloves, baseball mitts, and more. It is especially useful for any leather that gets worked hard and is regularly exposed to severe elements.

Three different natural oils are suspended in Beeswax and Propolis. In the leather these oils gradually seep out of the Beeswax/Propolis. If exposed to heat or flexing the oils are released faster so leather gets oiled instead of parched and cracked. This Beeswax/Propolis* Suspension Formula provides a time-release lubrication to inner fibers while the surface is reinforced against scuffing, and the leather still breathes. The remarkable result is Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP that:
Repels water better and longer.
Repels acids, petroleum, salt, and chemicals.
Restores dried leather to a soft and supple condition and protects it from further damage.
Prevents dry rot and resists mildew.
Resists premature cracking in flex areas.
Works great on Gore-Tex® footwear.
Is odorless after applied (very important for hunters).
Restores sun-faded leather.
Resists scuffing and dry rot.
Applies easily with with a clean cloth.
Penetrates deeply into leather.
Can be buffed to shine or polished over.
Contains no harmful silicones, petroleums, solvents, or neatsfoot.
Is approved for Gore-Tex® footwear.
*Propolis resists bacteria and mildew, and is a barrier against manure acid, salt, caustic chemicals, and petroleum. Combined with beeswax it repels water better and longer. "

As I stated I have used this product, mainly on motorcycle leathers. A little goes a long way.

I am torn between this and Nuetrogena. I hate to destroy something trying to preserve it...I guess I will start with a Japanese camera, as I think there are more of them.

Thanks everybody!

E. von Hoegh
12-Mar-2013, 06:44
A lot of sources do not like neatsfoot. I quote here, from a Leather Belt maker, 'The Beltman' good belts btw,

"Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP) is the most durable protection available for leather on the face of the planet. Originally developed for the extraordinary conditions endured by wildland firefighters, LP protects, preserves, and restores furniture, boots, saddles, motorcycle leathers, fine apparel, tool pouches, gloves, baseball mitts, and more. It is especially useful for any leather that gets worked hard and is regularly exposed to severe elements.

Three different natural oils are suspended in Beeswax and Propolis. In the leather these oils gradually seep out of the Beeswax/Propolis. If exposed to heat or flexing the oils are released faster so leather gets oiled instead of parched and cracked. This Beeswax/Propolis* Suspension Formula provides a time-release lubrication to inner fibers while the surface is reinforced against scuffing, and the leather still breathes. The remarkable result is Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP that:
Repels water better and longer.
Repels acids, petroleum, salt, and chemicals.
Restores dried leather to a soft and supple condition and protects it from further damage.
Prevents dry rot and resists mildew.
Resists premature cracking in flex areas.
Works great on Gore-Tex® footwear.
Is odorless after applied (very important for hunters).
Restores sun-faded leather.
Resists scuffing and dry rot.
Applies easily with with a clean cloth.
Penetrates deeply into leather.
Can be buffed to shine or polished over.
Contains no harmful silicones, petroleums, solvents, or neatsfoot.
Is approved for Gore-Tex® footwear.
*Propolis resists bacteria and mildew, and is a barrier against manure acid, salt, caustic chemicals, and petroleum. Combined with beeswax it repels water better and longer. "

As I stated I have used this product, mainly on motorcycle leathers. A little goes a long way.

I am torn between this and Nuetrogena. I hate to destroy something trying to preserve it...I guess I will start with a Japanese camera, as I think there are more of them.

Thanks everybody!

Do you mean "Neatsfoot oil compound" or pure Neatsfoot oil? There's a huge difference. I've been using pure Neatsfoot oil on the bellows of my Linhof and Deardorff since the late 1980s. They are the original bellows, 63 years old on the 'dorff and 54 years old on the Linhof.

John Kasaian
12-Mar-2013, 06:49
I knew a cowboy in Colorado who was never without his leather work gloves. He maintained them by rubbing in skin lotion every opportunity (his Brides's, samples given at department stores, whatever he happened to come upon) as well as Corona livestock liniment.

coisasdavida
12-Mar-2013, 07:11
It has occurred to me to use hand creme and Neutrogena is very good stuff. I am going to try it. It moistens skin, but then dries without greasy feelings.

That is a great suggestion!

At first the cream gets white as you spread, 15 minutes later the bellows had taken it all in, I let it sit mid-drawal over night. It looks alive!

Jody_S
12-Mar-2013, 07:13
The reason I suggest the can of Pledge furniture polish for badly dried bellows and camera gear is of course because it's a spray. You don't have to wipe it on, you can simply hold the can a few inches away and saturate the dried bellows (inside and out) or whatever, and wait for it to soften. I have had good results with bellows approaching their 130th birthday, and press camera shutter curtains that neared 100 years.

For normal maintenance, I do use pure Neatsfoot oil, gently wiped on and sometimes worked into the leather. For recent but completely dried and stiff leather, I have a stripper to remove the varnish-type finish before working in the oil, and another product to re-do the gloss finish. They're both made by Fiebing's: 'Deglazer' and 'Resolene'.

domaz
12-Mar-2013, 08:06
100% neatsfoot oil (NOT compound)is good stuff, as is mink oil, and glycerin. It really depends on how hard and far gone the leather is. Warming the oil helps, as others have mentioned. If you have something to support the leather while you're rubbing, warmed bees wax makes a fine dressing. I have a Brooks saddle on my old 10 speed P08 that needs serious attention:o You can also try Bag Balm or Hoof Alive from the feed store.

I just use Proofide on my Brooks saddles and my leather camera bellows and it seems to work great for both.

Leigh
12-Mar-2013, 11:37
Any item that is real leather will benefit from the maintenance/preservative products
available at Red Wing shoe stores.

- Leigh

Tin Can
17-Mar-2013, 14:56
I found Weiman Leather wipes at Target. Like baby wipes for leather, under $4 a package. Works real nice. http://www.weiman.com/Products/Leather/Leather-Wipes.aspx#FAQLink31

Also found adhesive cork drawer liner, which is good for my Majestic tripod head. Camera supplies are everywhere.

lenser
17-Mar-2013, 16:03
If you've got a good shoe repair shop in your area, of a leather supply shop like the old
Tandy stores, you might get some great advice there. I do remember my Dad using Neat's Foot Oil for fishing boots and belts.

Tin Can
17-Mar-2013, 17:24
Thanks for the advice, I just don't want to end up with greasy bellows that attract dirt, so I am investigating a few products. The Weiman's I put on some trashed Horseman bellows and it seems to be good. I also treated an old Premo camera body and that worked fine also. I am sure there are many solutions. I figure somebody had to do some positive maintenance to make 100 year old bellows survive. Very few other leather items have lasted 100 years. Shoe repair and leather repair is becoming a lost art in large cities. I have tried some of the remaining shops and I cannot recommend any. I will go back to stitching stuff back up with fish line.

If you've got a good shoe repair shop in your area, of a leather supply shop like the old
Tandy stores, you might get some great advice there. I do remember my Dad using Neat's Foot Oil for fishing boots and belts.