PDA

View Full Version : Super Graphic/shutter/ and ektar aero 7" ? ! ?

toggen
9-Mar-2013, 06:07
Hello folks!
Got an "Graflex Super Graphic" and i´m planning to mount a Kodak Aero Ektar 7" on it, using
the JoJo board. BUT; it seems that the super graphic does not have a build in shutter?
(The super graphic is mounted with an Optar 135mm 4.5,wich got an shutter, it obviously
will be removed)
Soo… it seems i will need to buy a shutter,what kind - and mount it,where?
As you understand,i´m very new to all this LF stuff, please enlighten me!

Dan Fromm
9-Mar-2013, 07:00
What you want to do is very difficult and expensive. Putting an AeroEktar's cells into a leaf shutter will require very expensive machining and an expensive shutter.

7"/2.5 AeroEktars are sometimes used on 4x5 Speed Graphic bodies. The Speed Graphic has a focal plane shutter.

The Super Graphic is an entirely different design that does not have a focal plane shutter. The Super Speed Graphic is a Super Graphic with a 135 Optar in a leaf shutter whose top speed is 1/1000; lens and its shutter aside, the Super Speed Graphic is identical to a Super Graphic.

You are another example of "too soon old, too late smart."

Jody_S
9-Mar-2013, 07:07
It would be cheaper to buy another camera, a Speed Graphic with the built-in shutter, than to adapt the Aero-Ektar to a shutter. Plus, you can sell the Super Graphic to pay for the Speed, at least partially. Or, while you're shopping for the Speed, you could practice taking photos with the Super Graphic to see if this whole 'Large Format' experience is something you enjoy. Shooting an Aero Ektar is not easy, you may want to master the basics with an easier lens.

Teodor Oprean
9-Mar-2013, 07:34
It should be possible to create a Frankenstein camera: Buy a Speed Graphic that has the front standard with backwards tilt, then exchange the front standard between the Super Graphic and the Speed Graphic. That way the Speed Graphic will have both the focal plane shutter (to make the Aero Ektar usable) and the full capability front standard, so you can do any kind of tilt/shift/rise that you might want. It looks like the Super Graphic uses the same focusing rails as the Speed Graphic and Crown Graphic models of the 1950s and 1960s. It should be possible to go further still: remove the rotating back from the Super Graphic and mount it to the back of the Speed Graphic. Has anybody tried this idea?

toggen
9-Mar-2013, 08:39
Thanks to all!
Well, seems like i´ll have to buy a speed graphic then.
Heck,nice to have two!

T

EdSawyer
9-Mar-2013, 08:52
Yeah, you can never have too many Graflexes. I have 2 speeds, a crown, and an RB Super D.... (no supers yet though...)

Michael Cienfuegos
9-Mar-2013, 11:55
Yeah, you can never have too many Graflexes. I have 2 speeds, a crown, and an RB Super D.... (no supers yet though...)

I just need two cameras to make my collection complete: 5x7 Press Graflex or Portrait Graflex and a 5x7 Speed Graphic. I have 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 Speeds plus one 4x5 Pacemaker Speed, 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 Graflex SLR's.

m

Dan Fromm
9-Mar-2013, 14:29
I just need two cameras to make my collection complete: 5x7 Press Graflex or Portrait Graflex and a 5x7 Speed Graphic. I have 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 Speeds plus one 4x5 Pacemaker Speed, 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 Graflex SLR's.

mInteresting. One for each hand.

Michael Cienfuegos
9-Mar-2013, 16:44
interesting. One for each hand.

lmao!

unixrevolution
13-Mar-2013, 06:39
Thanks to all!
Well, seems like i´ll have to buy a speed graphic then.
Heck,nice to have two!

T

That's about the size of it, but don't despair. Your Super Graphic has better movements than a typcial speeder, so you can dedicate the Speed to handheld work and the Super to view camera work.