PDA

View Full Version : Latest weather in Yosemite

ignatiusjk
8-Mar-2013, 17:25
Does anybody know what the wheather has been like in Yosemite? I've looked at the webcams and it's looks pretty dry in the valley.I'm taking some people in late May and I'm hoping the waterfalls will be full. What's the latest on Tioga rd? I'm sure it's closed now but was wondering what the snowfall has been like up there this winter.Thanks.

Drew Wiley
8-Mar-2013, 17:28
At the moment, this looks like we're heading into a drought summer. The Sierra had very heavy snowfall late last yr, but only small storms since. You'll get waterfalls in May regardless, but I doubt they'll be exceptional. But if that is the case, there's
at least the hypothetical possibility Tioga Pass will be open prior to Memorial Day, so would provide another kind of opportunity.

ignatiusjk
8-Mar-2013, 17:37
True, Tioga rd opening is a good thing bad thing situation.I,ve seen the waterfalls after heavy winters and upper Yosemite falls in may is simply awesome. Someones first view of Yosemite is always something they'll never forget.

ROL
9-Mar-2013, 08:09
Really ignats? "Whether" or not you choose to believe it, all that information is still available on one of those untrustworthy government sites: http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Update-for-March-6-2013.htm

ignatiusjk
19-Mar-2013, 13:17
Thanks for the info.

Robert Langham
22-Mar-2013, 00:59
I wouldn't worry about water or none. Just go. Plenty to look at besides the water!

NickyLai
2-Apr-2013, 22:20
....I'm taking some people in late May and I'm hoping the waterfalls will be full. ....

This image was what it looked like in an afternoon at 30th of May 2012 (crop from 90mm Grendagon-N):

http://staticpix.touchbyphoto.com/Yosemite/120531-1200D1024crop-Yosemite-Fall.jpg

This one new this year in the morning at 29th of March, the water was in full force I believe (240mm Fujinon A):

http://staticpix.touchbyphoto.com/Yosemite/130328-011-Yosemite-Fall-1024.jpg

There was amazing rainbow show on the mist of the fall and sun ray between 8-9 am viewing from the meadow just outside the Pines campground (GPS 37°44'23" N 119°34'10" W), and the shuttle driver told me the viewing position moves out towards to the other end of the road. I guess because the sun rises to different angle. This image captured a little of the end of the rainbow show, I was too slow to set up the Technika and the 360mm TED Nikkor:

http://staticpix.touchbyphoto.com/Yosemite/130330-011D1024-Yosemite-Fall.jpg

This year the snow and rain came pretty late, and I predict the fall will be at least same as last year if not better.

(Note: The water in these images looked silky and slow motion because all of them are captured with the BetterLight scan-back.)

Robert Langham
3-Apr-2013, 05:56
In Yosemite it depends on where you go. Everywhere pretty wonderful but you can't see it all in a week. Are you going up the Mist Trail past Vernal and Nevada Falls? Wawona Tunnel overlook? (Don't forget to climb to the OLD inspiration point back on the top and to the left of it. Wandering the Merced through mid-valley? Mirror Lake area? I'd take a day and drive the Tioga road to the Olmstead area and take the hike to Clouds Rest or go hunt Juniper Trees at Lake Tenaya. Fern ledge up under upper Yosemite Fall is a great day hike. Upper Yosemite Fall takes a long day. Lotta places to go. I usually try to spend one night at the Diving Board, but you have to be pretty good at hiking and route-finding, though there are cairns left by the rock climbers. Going when you can shoot moon rises and sets? I'd pick a couple of places, like shooting up the Mist Trail and then heading off above Nevada Fall and spending the night at the Diving Board, then shooting your way back down, then doing Inspiration point/Glacier Point/Inspiration point and taking an easy day, then hitting Fern Ledge. It's rugged!

92592 92593 92594 92595

Robert Langham
3-Apr-2013, 06:00
The Mountain Shop at Curry Village can get you in contact with guides and porters for a fee and is a great place to ask where and how to get to off trail spots. Once I picked some spots I would hit Youtube to see videos of what I was getting into. I'd pass on hiking to the top of Halfdome. It's a long hard day and you end up standing on the most photogenic thing in the valley. Not worth it, IMHO.

For 1000.00 you can get a guide who will hike you to the top of Halfdome and rappel down the face and come down the slabs above Mirror Lake where the climbers have fixed ropes. Nobody ever does it, but that is the price I negotiated once.

I've also had pretty good luck calling the Ansel Adams Gallery if you have a specific question about a spot, and certainly drop by there. Ask to see the old darkroom, which doesn't look that old and is used for storage, but nice to see.

I stay at Curry Village for the price though in winter Yosemite Lodge is just terrific. I'd try to have lunch at the Ahwanee just to see it. Shuttles run to all the trail heads and areas.

Robert Langham
3-Apr-2013, 06:12
I wouldn't miss the White Mountains and the Bristlecones, Just a couple hours drive over Tioga, past Lee Vining and across Owens Valley. I'd spend the night in the car. It's high, over 10,000, and you will walk around like a zombie but incredible trees. Hit Tenaya and the Junipers on the way over and the way back. Check those youtube videos. There used to be a great little camera store in Bishop that Ansel dropped by. Long gone by now I'm sure.

If you aren't into back-packing your camera and are working car-bound, there is still more than enough to keep you busy. Rivers and boulders and trees and rock walls...Fern Spring and Wildcat Creek. Happy Isles. Mirror Lake. The Merced. Shuttles pretty good even with gear.

Robert Langham
3-Apr-2013, 06:31
In general, in the summer, the sun rises over the right shoulder of Half Dome and sets over the downstream end of the Merced, shining up the valley, which runs mostly East and West. Places like Upper Yosemite Fall get sun early and mid-day and then drop into shadow in the afternoon. Mist Trail in open shade early, sunlit through the daytime and back in shade later. I'd carry a polarizer and a light yellow but not a red.

Don't drink the water without running it through a filter. Beaver and Guardia. Big crowds in the summer but once you get 50 yards off trail you'll be alone. Crowds are all in the valley, Glacier Point and Tioga Road turnouts.

They have let the valley absolutely grow up solid with trees. The indians used to burn it out every decade or so to keep it clear.

It's an absolutely fabulous place. You'll go a little nutty.

Drew Wiley
3-Apr-2013, 09:10
Actually, the bristlecones are at least a six hour drive from Yosemite Valley, and the iconic upper grove is a quite a long drive
on a slow dirt road. And no, you're not likely to get there, over even over Tioga Pass, in May, though it might be possible in
an exceptionally dry year. In any event, you need plenty of supplies with you. I'd avoid Yos Valley in midsummer. Sometimes
there's so much smoke from campfires, control burns, and general smog that you can't even see the rim of the Valley. May
is much nicer.

joselsgil
6-Apr-2013, 00:23
From the latest water and snow pack reports. This has been the driest winter in California history, so don't expect too much water flowing.

NickyLai
7-May-2013, 12:32
My last month (April) trip up there saw, from the valley floor, good flow of the falls. But feel the dry winter when hiked up to see the Vernal Fall because it didn't fill up the much broader flow-apron. See the 1st photo (65mm Super Angulon and Sinar Handy shot under my raincoat for the camera and BetterLight scan-back, not me :rolleyes:).

Beware of the falls - they are spectacular BUT dangerous, as posted by the park. Just this Sunday, 5th May, they released news searching for missing person on top of the Vernal Fall. See this link http://www.nps.gov/yose/stensbysar.htm. :p(Note: According to info available on the web, more accident on the top of the Vernal Fall than others. It is because the top has much broader space, many spots looks good and easy, it attracts visitor to go off trail which is not allow by the rules of the park.)

I cancelled plan yesterday to hike up to Nevada Fall due to unfavorable weather, for me anyway. But will try to go between 24th to 26th this month when there is a chance to see the MOONBOW. I wonder if anybody here had captured the Yosemite moonbow in LF with color negative can give some advise?

For those like falls and short of time, here's my two cents tip to shot three different falls in one SUNNY day, from experience of my last two trips in April (my favorite month to visit the valley).

In the morning, the sun lights on Yosemite Fall so take it first from the valley floor either go near it or far from the Cook's Meadow.
Then drive out (shuttle don't go there)to the Northside Dr untill almost near the park exit there are two parking places to see the Merced River and Bridalveil Fall (GPS:37°43'19" N 119°38'60" W). The sunlight is on top and moving to light up the Bridalveil Fall. Mid day is the good time to capture it because the sun on top doesn't produce glare on the water. See the 2nd photo shot (240mm Fujinon A).
Then drive back via the Southside Drive back to the Happy Isle parking lot (GPS 37°44'7" N 119°33'59" W) to hike up the Vernal Fall. The sunlight is on it during the afternoon time, I got my rainbow shot at around 5:30 p.m. on April 18th, and the sunlight went out soon after that, plan your time. I didn't hike up the top because the light was going out, my backpack was heavy. If the parking lot is full, park on the visitor center lot and take the free shuttle to the trail head. (Trail info from the park: 3 miles/4.8 km round-trip; 3 hours with 1,000 feet/366 m elevation gain (via Mist Trail)
Begin at Happy Isles (shuttle stop #16)

Happy trip to whom going up there.

Drew Wiley
7-May-2013, 13:13
It might have been a relatively dry Spring per 2013 statistics per se, but there was quite a bit of winter snowpack earlier. And any year, regardless, is going to have risky streams this early on. Don't confuse SoCal weather with the Sierras, which are more complicated with reference to storm systems. The good news is that the
mosquitoes might be gone from the high country by midsummer, and they'll be much lighter than in the past two years, no doubt. There are two curses to mountain
travel - the mosquito and the motorhome. One makes you move faster than you'd wish, the other, slower.

Kodachrome25
7-May-2013, 15:42
I was going to head up there tonight, but I am waiting until Tioga opens for more high country opportunity. Instead I am going to go up to the Redwoods Near Eureka and do some light painting. But that moonbow...on the day my wife and I met, we ended up shooting it at 3 AM, what wonderful memories..:-)

Ray Fenio
11-May-2013, 09:19
Tioga Pass is scheduled to open today, May 11, 2013. I'm headed for Tuolumne tomorrow.

Leszek Vogt
11-May-2013, 16:40
If you have a long lens (say equiv of 300mm in 35mm) the view under certain light from T. Meadows can be incredible. True, less iconic, but there is always a possibility of returning home with your own view of the Half Dome. I was there last Summer and prefer mine to AA version.

Les

KenM
11-May-2013, 17:59
I wouldn't miss the White Mountains and the Bristlecones, Just a couple hours drive over Tioga, past Lee Vining and across Owens Valley. I'd spend the night in the car. It's high, over 10,000, and you will walk around like a zombie but incredible trees.

I agree. It's a very unusual place; it feels like you're on the moon, except with the odd tree here and there :-)

To touch something that old and alive, was....moving.

And, as a bonus, if you've got a friend with a jeep, you can make a quick exit off the mountain. Straight down the mountain. Really.

NickyLai
12-May-2013, 10:25
If you have a long lens (say equiv of 300mm in 35mm) the view under certain light from T. Meadows can be incredible. True, less iconic, but there is always a possibility of returning home with your own view of the Half Dome. I was there last Summer and prefer mine to AA version.

Les

Did you mean to shot Half Dome from "Olmsted Point"? Or, something else? The Olmsted Point (GPS 37°48'39" N 119°29'5" W) is about 10 miles down (or before) Tuolumne Meadow visitor center (GPS 37°52'24" N 119°21'34" W).

I was at Olmsted Point last year on May the 20th, a sunny day, and got a big surprise. A Park Ranger was serving out solar glasses to watch the solar eclipse. At about the same time, I also got the incredible so called "hound-dog-glow" of the Half Dome with the 500mm TED Nikkor lens from Olmsted Point. See the attached photo, it had a crop factor of about 1.2 down the 500mm.

All these was not quite planned, drove up there from Wawona campsite at the flow of my flexible schedule by estimate the direction of the sun light. I will try to go again later this month.

NickyLai
16-May-2013, 15:40
:cool: The Yosemite Conservancy web site just came up with a live stream of the Yosemite Fall.

http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams/yosemite-falls

ROL
16-May-2013, 16:27
"Live Streaming Video", :D. "Live Falling Video" seems more apropos.

Indeed, Half Dome cannot be seen from Tuolumne Mdws., Olmstead and environs being the easiest vantage points (from a road) around those parts.

Leszek Vogt
17-May-2013, 01:08
Did you mean to shot Half Dome from "Olmsted Point"? Or, something else? The Olmsted Point (GPS 37°48'39" N 119°29'5" W) is about 10 miles down (or before) Tuolumne Meadow visitor center (GPS 37°52'24" N 119°21'34" W).

I was at Olmsted Point last year on May the 20th, a sunny day, and got a big surprise. A Park Ranger was serving out solar glasses to watch the solar eclipse. At about the same time, I also got the incredible so called "hound-dog-glow" of the Half Dome with the 500mm TED Nikkor lens from Olmsted Point. See the attached photo, it had a crop factor of about 1.2 down the 500mm.

All these was not quite planned, drove up there from Wawona campsite at the flow of my flexible schedule by estimate the direction of the sun light. I will try to go again later this month.

Yes, that's what I meant. My shots was tighter...including that one lonely tree, that sits on the cliff on the right side. The lighting was way strange, and that's what made the photo. Glad you had a chance to explore.

Les

Fredrick
17-May-2013, 04:11

You have convinced me. I'm going to Yosemite some time soon!

Preston
17-May-2013, 06:25
You have convinced me. I'm going to Yosemite some time soon!

Fredrick,

Go soon--like before Memorial Day weekend. During that holiday, and after (unitil the Autumn) Yosemite is a zoo; especially the Valley!

The areas between Olmsted Point, up and over Tioga Pass and then on down to Lee Vining canyon and Mono Lake wiil be cooler, and much less crazy.

--P

Fredrick
17-May-2013, 06:28
Fredrick,

Go soon--like before Memorial Day weekend. During that holiday, and after (unitil the Autumn) Yosemite is a zoo; especially the Valley!

The areas between Olmsted Point, up and over Tioga Pass and then on down to Lee Vining canyon and Mono Lake wiil be cooler, and much less crazy.

--P

I'll probably go next Easter or shortly after, I want to there to be some snow left on the mountains. I live in Norway, so it will require some planning. Is Yosemite even accessible around Easter? Also, does the train from San Francisco still go up there? I watched a documentary about Ansel Adams, and it's mentioned that they took the train up there the first time he visited. I could probably google all this too. I'll do that too, but it's good to hear responses from people that have been there.

-Fredrick.

ataim
17-May-2013, 06:58
I've only been once, but my favorite hike was to North Dome and Upper Yosemite falls. Carried my Monorail 4x5 and took some great picture of Half Dome face on.

Drew Wiley
17-May-2013, 09:03
Fredrick - Yosemite Valley is accessible year round, though there seem to be a few days each winter when the snow can be an issue and tire chains might be required. The road uphill past Tuolumne and over Tioga Pass is generally open from the end of May thru Oct, though again, there can be exceptions - the Pass opened a little bit earlier this year due to dry conditions. Yosemite Natl Park is far bigger than the Valley and includes quite a bit of high country which is only trail-accessible. The Valley itself is comparatively low elevation, and I'd avoid it in the summer due to heat, smoke, and crowds. The nice thing about going in March or
April is that you can also visit the spectacular wildflower blooms downriver in the lower hill country towards Mariposa. But you won't be able to get into the upper
reaches of the Park, with the exception of the ski area.

Preston
17-May-2013, 09:57
Fredrick,

No more train to Yosemite. I think your best bet would be to rent a car and drive to the park. If you rent a car be sure tire chains are included-chains may be required on park roads at any time. Since you're planning on Easter-time, a snow storm can't be ruled out.

As Drew says, the lower Merced River canyon and the foothills along Hwy 140 is quite stunning. You won't be hurting for opportunities in Yosemite and the surrounding area, that's for sure.

I was there a couple of weeks ago (May 2-5) with a couple of other LF Forum members. It was gorgeous, and the Dogwood bloom this year was wonderful.

--P

Fredrick
17-May-2013, 10:05
Fredrick,

No more train to Yosemite. I think your best bet would be to rent a car and drive to the park. If you rent a car be sure tire chains are included-chains may be required on park roads at any time. Since you're planning on Easter-time, a snow storm can't be ruled out.

As Drew says, the lower Merced River canyon and the foothills along Hwy 140 is quite stunning. You won't be hurting for opportunities in Yosemite and the surrounding area, that's for sure.

I was there a couple of weeks ago (May 2-5) with a couple of other LF Forum members. It was gorgeous, and the Dogwood bloom this year was wonderful.

--P

Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have a driver's permit. I would have to make use of public transport, and I'm guessing that would be tricky at that part of the year.
A winter storm wouldn't be the worst that could happen. I love fresh snow and stormy weather.

-Fredrick.

Preston
17-May-2013, 10:34
Fredrick,

There is a bus system called YARTS that runs to and from the park to the town of Merced in the Central Valley. Depending upon your arrival point in CA, you could take a train to Merced (if you come in to Sacramento or LA) or, if you arrive at San Francisco or Oakland, you can take a bus to Merced. Others in the know would be able to tell what train service is available from the Bay Area to the Central Valley.

I always drive, so you'll have to research the train or bus options.

--P

ROL
17-May-2013, 10:45
Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have a driver's permit. I would have to make use of public transport, and I'm guessing that would be tricky at that part of the year.

Not tricky at all. Public (motor coach) transportation to, from, and within Yosemite is available and encouraged all year around. The high country roads won't be open at Easter for either by public or private motorized conveyance, anyway.

BTW, the view of HD from Olmsted Pt. (as in Frederic Law) includes the cable route to the top. When they're up, you can see the "ants" streaming to the summit and back, with binoculars.

Leszek Vogt
17-May-2013, 10:57
True, snow is no biggie, but because of lack of funds to clear the roads....the Rte 120 could easily be shut down. We've been dealing with this for many many years. I'd like to add to what Drew said....you could take some shots in the valley with relative ease, but you really have to make an effort to be there rather early 6:30-8:30AM. I've stopped in the valley for some early coffee (the place outside the park was still closed) last July....and all that came to a realization. After that, the tours arrive, the motorhomes, etc etc. I've been apprehensive about being in the valley for nearly 20 years...and several times I was "nudged" by friends to go, since we had camping reservations....but on my own....I make the point of avoiding the popular area (valley).

Public transport is available. There used to be a shuttle bus that went from Merced, CA to the park...and I'm assuming Greyhound still serves Merced. How the schedules interlock is anyone's guess. I overheard that there was a connection from Fresno, as well. Getting around the park could be semi-difficult to right down impossible. Sometimes people travel to/from to Yos and advert on the CL.....some chances are built into this model. Specialized tour, perhaps ???? What I'm hinting at is that is could be more reasonable to obtain a license and get a permission to drive in Calif - this will give you freedom of movement. Good luck.

Les

Drew Wiley
17-May-2013, 11:49
Public transportation to Yos Valley is no problem except during a big snowstorm when buses can't get thru. But there are skier options during such times. You could
also just trying teaming up with some relatively local LF shooter on this forum itching to visit Yos around the same time. Spring snows in the Valley tend to be pretty
mushy. If you want solitude and those Ansel Adamesque snow scenes it's more likely going to be late Dec thru early Feb - exactly when the buses and crowds can't
get in! Each year is somewhat different.

NickyLai
17-May-2013, 15:38
"Live Streaming Video", :D. "Live Falling Video" seems more apropos.

:D LOL. U are good with words.

NickyLai
17-May-2013, 17:05

--P

:) Well said. I had a most enjoyable and refreshing scenic drive amount the six trips to Yosemite during spring/summer 2012-13. It was home bound down the 140 towards Mariposa on April 2nd, the best portion was just passed the Merced River Recreation visitor center going uphill leaving the shadow of canyon behind, my eyes was widely brightened by the scenery on the surrounding hills - vividly contrast in yellow, green, a little purple on the road side, fresh under the gentle evening sun ray and humidity of the day. It was so splendid!

Contest_Guru
4-Jun-2013, 01:39
I have not been to Yosemite, but looking these photos make me like wanna visit the place! The waterfalls looks amazing! Great shot

John Kasaian
4-Jun-2013, 06:58
I have not been to Yosemite, but looking these photos make me like wanna visit the place! The waterfalls looks amazing! Great shot

Why don't you go visit?