PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a flash for my Pacemaker

Laurent L
8-Mar-2013, 14:42
Hi !

Turning 40 I decided to allow myself one of my dearest whim; buying a Graflex 4x5 Pacemaker. I bought some 4x5 negatives on Ebay from the sun's archives and I was really moved when I made some prints out of them in my darkroom, these are high quality photos.

This beauty arrived from London three days ago and I'd like to give her a welcoming present, a flash that could be used to shoot with it handheld and using the range finder. I think this is the way photographers used to make photos for the papers in the 50 and earlier ? The flash prevents any motion blurness ?

I was shocked to discover that some hard boiled star wars fans were using these flash as toys, to me it's kind of sad...

Therefore as we couldn't save star wars from Mickey's clutches, I hope I could save at least a graflex flash from the star wars fan.

Any clues about which model to choose ?

Any help would be greatly enjoyed.

Thanks

Laurent, East of France

BrianShaw
8-Mar-2013, 17:05
Take a look at http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/accessories.html#Flashes

You'll likely want a 2773 and 2749, and perhaps also a 2747... depending on what type of bulbs you want to shoot. Your shutter may support X synch and if so then you can also opt for an electronic flash. Either approach works well once set up correctly.

BrianShaw
8-Mar-2013, 17:08
p.s. Shop carefully and you can still find good deals on Graflex flash units. Many are very high priced but some are quite affordable. Patience is needed.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Mar-2013, 17:42
I have accumulated dozens of bulb flash units and cases of big bulbs over the years. First you must decide whether you really want to pay for flash bulbs. They are largely available used, and quite old, or brand new from Ireland. Surf for Megaflash.

Regarding what model flashes work, there are some nuances if you wish to make the flash fire the shutter, as the originals did. Write back if you need some information about that. (Really, photographers made the pictures by pressing a button on the flash which triggered the flash immediately then a solenoid with the correct 20 millisecond delay to the shutter.)

BrianShaw
8-Mar-2013, 17:56
(Really, photographers made the pictures by pressing a button on the flash which triggered the flash immediately then a solenoid with the correct 20 millisecond delay to the shutter.).

I've never set up a flash to work with Pacemaker, only anniversary and Super Graphic... but it can easily be configured to trip the shutter using solenoid but utilize the delay in the X or M shutter if the shutter has such functionality... which it should in the Pacemaker era.

As you say, Jac... there are many nuances available. it was a very flexible and adaptable system.

Laurent L
9-Mar-2013, 00:19
Thanks for these complete and precise answers.

No I know that I must be patient to pick the right one and that some problems may occur after this... Well, I'm still willing to do this !

It's a shame that I may not use my 12" commercial ektar with the Pacemaker the built in synchro flash could have helped, but this amazing lens may be too long and there are no possibilities to make a rail extension like on a monorail.

I will do my best, thanks for your help.

Today is a lovely day, time to check the Pacemaker's rangefinder settings.

BrianShaw
9-Mar-2013, 07:51
It's a shame that I may not use my 12" commercial ektar with the Pacemaker the built in synchro flash could have helped, but this amazing lens may be too long and there are no possibilities to make a rail extension like on a monorail.

If that's your goal, then buy an inexpensive monorail RIGHT NOW and get on with your photography. That's a great lens and capable of synching with any flash ever made. I use one on a Cambo monorail and have synched with both strobe and a Grafllite flash. Cambo monorails seem to be priced just as variably as Graflite gear -- all over the place -- but if patient you can get a good deal on both.

In the meantime, enjoy your Graflex press camera. They are fun to work with and a very capable tool!

Jac@stafford.net
9-Mar-2013, 08:06
Brian, thanks for the extra information.

Laurent, I just know you would like to try a FOCUSPOT. Here is a link to an advert courtesy Graflex.org
http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-focuspot.html

I have a couple of them and they actually work depending upon the darkness of the scene and the reflective quality of the subject. Unlike the advert which necessarily shows a beam, the image projected is of the bulb inside the FOCUSPOT. It is usually powered by the flash unit which has a socket just for such a purpose. (Just to tickle my Leica M friends, I might try one on an M9).

banjo
9-Mar-2013, 14:12
hey Laurent

HEILAND THREE CELL FLASH are good use & use the same clamps as the Graflex
flash does, or if you was to go with electronic flash Honeywell Auto/Strobonar
also use the same clamps.

I like the Honeywell Auto/Strobonar 682S as it uses AA batterys

anglophone1
9-Mar-2013, 18:23
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?101057-fs-Flashguns-for-Speed-or-Crown-Graphic-Cameras

Laurent L
10-Mar-2013, 04:24
Thanks for you help

One things bothers me a bit, I don't have these metal part on my Kalart, the one with the "handles", I just have a simple metal plate without anything to attach the flash's clamps on it.

I noticed this while surfing looking for informations about Graflex flash.

Therefore I may have to look for this part before thinking about buying a flash or trying the famous Focuspot which may be usefull to me indeed !

By the way don't worry about my commercial ektar I mounted it on a Sinar Board and I use it with my F2. I was wondering if I could get something close to the famous Aero Ektar trick (you know the miniature effect given by a small aperture and some mouvements...) This lens has a confortable image circle and allowed me to experiment a lot of things in portraits.

I've been practising large format for three years and I have three 4x5 cameras, The Pacemaker, A pristine Sinar F2 and my fist one a Linhof Color.

Anyway first of all I have to get a ground glass magnifier for my Pacemaker, a long one, which I could find something else than the chinese models.

Now I think I have mastered all the features of my Pacemaker, it took me a few days 'cause I was too accustomed to monorail 4x5 cameras.This camera is a wonderful tool made in a time when things were meant to last, I will take good care of it.

Thanks a lot

Laurent