PDA

View Full Version : Marion

pmalsop
7-Mar-2013, 01:58
Any idea what tripod size screw thread a Marion and Co circa 1910 would take?
It appears too small for 3/8 and too large for 1/4"

JosephBurke
7-Mar-2013, 06:02
Wow! That's a real beauty!

E. von Hoegh
7-Mar-2013, 07:58
Any idea what tripod size screw thread a Marion and Co circa 1910 would take?
It appears too small for 3/8 and too large for 1/4"

5/16", or metric.

Jody_S
7-Mar-2013, 09:12
Actually, depending on the year it was made, it may be in an English thread no longer readily available (Whitworth?). I had that problem matching knobs on my ROC Universal. Since the camera has become separated from it's tripod, you may be better off replacing the brass threaded insert for the tripod screw with a modern equivalent. You can often steal these off of old folding 6x9 cameras (from USSR if you want 3/8") or wooden Kodaks. They're also very easy to machine if you have access to a metal lathe and a tap & die set, though the brass slug will be quite expensive.

Or, you can do what I've done to fix my ROC, drill it out and re-tap it for 3/8" Imp. standard tripod screws. If the piece is thick enough to allow this.

IanG
7-Mar-2013, 10:40
Marion & Co were dry plate and parer manufacturers, they were were also a wholesale distributor. They didn't make cameras themselves, they had close links to Kershaw who made the Soho Reflex.

As Jody says you'll need to adapt the thread anyway if you want to use a modern tripod, have you actually tried 3/8" and 1/4" as visiually they can be deceptive.

Ian