PDA

View Full Version : Is my shutter screwed?

johnmsanderson
7-Mar-2013, 01:10
Bought this Fujinon from felixslau on teh ebays and upon receipt I noticed the shutter cocking arm doesn't snap back after being cocked, and if you leave it in that position when releasing the shutter it creates a pretty big vibration. I can push it back to the pre-tension angle, and it SEEMS ok, but I'm no expert on this.

Please see video:

http://youtu.be/2TUhjjSHRTU

Pleaes advise...

Thanks

IanG
7-Mar-2013, 01:45
Well it needs a repair/service, I'd contact the seller, also double check the ebay listing then try to come to an agreement to get it fixed or send it back for a refund.

Ian

Andrew
7-Mar-2013, 05:00
Q. is the shutter locked open in viewing position ?

johnmsanderson
7-Mar-2013, 05:10
Q. is the shutter locked open in viewing position ?

No. I can close the shutter, it's just the lever that seems loose.

Thank you for the replies

ruckusman
7-Mar-2013, 07:19
Copal shutter - They do that

I actually just got a lens from the same seller, Fujinon 150 CM W, copal shutter - it does the same thing

Leigh
7-Mar-2013, 19:22
I actually just got a lens from the same seller, Fujinon 150 CM W, copal shutter - it does the same thing
That's not normal for a Copal shutter. At least the ~22 modern Copals that I have all return smartly.

I suggest a broken return spring. Probably a quick / simple / cheap fix, perhaps DIY.

- Leigh

Nathan Potter
7-Mar-2013, 20:05
Well your shutter is not screwed - but you are.:D Best to make amends with the seller for a partial refund, then maybe a CLA.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

johnmsanderson
8-Mar-2013, 05:23
He is trying to say it was fine and was damaged during shipping. I took it to Nippon clinic and wad quoted $160 plus parts. Seems high.

Leigh
8-Mar-2013, 05:37
Personal opinion...

It sounds like they quoted a full CLA. That amount is probably 2 hours labor.

It's way high for just replacing, or possibly repositioning, a spring that's right at the front of the shutter.

I haven't repaired shutters commercially for a number of years, but I expect it's a 10-15 minute job.

- Leigh

IanG
8-Mar-2013, 06:34
Leigh's almost certainly right that it's a broken return spring but a repair shop has to assume the worst when quoting prices, however $160 is high for a CLA, UK prices are usually much higher than US and I don't pay anything like that when I get shutters serviced.

I guess it is possible it was damaged in shipping, a hard knock maybe, but then was the shipping insured the seller would need to claim.

Ironically I have a Copal in a similar codition, arrived non functional but the little locking screw that keeps them from being disassembled was missing and the top part loose !!!

Ian

Steven Tribe
8-Mar-2013, 06:43
Internal springs do not break during shipping!

Delamination (modern synthetic cement can be brittle) can happen, though!

BrianShaw
8-Mar-2013, 08:24
When I was doing clock repair, it would be a rare day for a rare friend that I would do just a "reposition of a misplaced spring" (or the like) without first quoting a full overhaul. But quoting a price for a minor repair without seeing hte good is risky at best... too much chance of being wrong and under-bidding and setting up expectationsthat can't be met. If after seeing the clock it was in good operating condition and the part could be repositioned/replaced easily... then I'd do it for free. I don't blame any reopairman from initially quoting a full overhaul when the customer states that shutter/clock/watch/car/etc "just needs to be tweeked; other than that it is fine."

Leigh's almost certainly right that it's a broken return spring but a repair shop has to assume the worst when quoting prices...

BrianShaw
8-Mar-2013, 08:27
p.s. That price is high. To me $135 that I've paid for a routine shutter overhaul (for the speed, convenience, and quality work) is "top dollar" pricing. Maybe there is a price bump due to knowledge that shutter is "broken"????

rdenney
8-Mar-2013, 08:54
p.s. That price is high. To me $135 that I've paid for a routine shutter overhaul (for the speed, convenience, and quality work) is "top dollar" pricing. Maybe there is a price bump due to knowledge that shutter is "broken"????

Or because the shop is in New York City, where really everything is more expensive to cover much higher overhead costs.

Rick "who often sends things to places like Ohio for repairs" Denney

IanG
8-Mar-2013, 09:17
When I was doing clock repair, it would be a rare day for a rare friend that I would do just a "reposition of a misplaced spring" (or the like) without first quoting a full overhaul. But quoting a price for a minor repair without seeing hte good is risky at best... too much chance of being wrong and under-bidding and setting up expectationsthat can't be met. If after seeing the clock it was in good operating condition and the part could be repositioned/replaced easily... then I'd do it for free. I don't blame any reopairman from initially quoting a full overhaul when the customer states that shutter/clock/watch/car/etc "just needs to be tweeked; other than that it is fine."

I had a situation like this with a Leica, it went to the Leitz UK repair shop, I'd cracked the view-finder glass but they insisted on a full service, however they changed the glass and sent it back with a much lower invoice stating the camera had actually had a recent service, they'd checked it over and itwas fine.

One hopes that kind of honesty would exist if that NY company found it wwas something very simple.

Ian

neil poulsen
8-Mar-2013, 09:39
If this wasn't disclosed, I'd send it back to the seller. This problem was very likely known, when it was listed. (i.e., don't do business with a cheat.)

I'd open a dispute with him through EBay and demand your money back. I've opened at least a couple of disputes, and EBay's backed me both times. On one of these occasions, EBay themselves paid me back (out of seller's pocket) and gave me a PalPal prepaid shipping label to return the item.

Leigh
8-Mar-2013, 13:41
In the repair business, there's a huge difference between a quote and an estimate.

A quote obligates you to provide the parts and labor required to return the item to fully-functional condition.

An estimate is just that, subject to revision after inspection of the item.

I would never provide a quote without evaluating the item... never.
If Nikon gave you a quote, they're covering their collective posterior many times over.

Let's not forget, boys and girls, that at Nikon (and elsewhere), job #1 is making money.

- Leigh

DennisD
8-Mar-2013, 19:33
If this wasn't disclosed, I'd send it back to the seller. This problem was very likely known, when it was listed. (i.e., don't do business with a cheat.)

Good advice.

1) The seller probably had knowledge of this especially if he's trying to weasel out of responsibility. As others have said, this type of problem does not happen during shipping.

In legal terms, You didn't get what you "bargained for" (i.e. a working shutter) if this defect was not disclosed.

2) Even If the item was damaged in shipping, only the seller can make (and collect) on a claim. Therefore, the seller must assume responsibility in this case, as well.

eBay and/or your credit card company should support you in both cases above.

John, don't waste time filing a claim with both ebay and your CC bank if you want to get results. It's annoying and troublesome to go thru the ropes on this, but worth t if you get your money back or repair compensation.

Dennis

rdenney
12-Mar-2013, 08:19
I would never provide a quote without evaluating the item... never.
If Nikon gave you a quote, they're covering their collective posterior many times over.

But most official service centers charge flat rates for service. That would be a quote, no inspection required. It's a good deal for a major repair. But if something just needed a quick tweak, I'd send it elsewhere. And, yes, the price is set to cover costs, on average. But it also reflects the cost of diagnosis.

Rick "who just paid the flat rate to have his Nikon film scanner repaired" Denney

Leigh
12-Mar-2013, 10:08
But most official service centers charge flat rates for service.
Yep.

And they make lots more money that way than doing T&M. It's all in the percentages.
The vast majority of repairs require less time than is covered by the flat charge.

And they always have the option of sending it back gratis with no repair done.
That's hidden down in the fine print, so they really can't lose their a$$ on any repair.

- Leigh