PDA

View Full Version : Just acquired 5x7 and could use some advise/help.

Leszek Vogt
7-Mar-2013, 00:04
The other day I spotted a 5x7 camera on CL. After getting some pics from the seller, I was intrigued enough to look at it and perhaps even to put it on a shelf...that is after reconstructive surgery. But, at the same time I was thinking of actually using it, as well. Here it is....and not sure if I can get the photos up.

Anyway, the camera body appears to be in OK shape, but the bellows are (more than likely) shot. Last time I checked B&H and they only had one color film in 5x7 (dismal), though there are still plenty b&w around. I would like to restore it and use it. The wood appears to be cherry, though I did notice Formica (or real veneer ?) used and a small piece was torn off (on the bottom). Not sure how to clean/restore the knobs and hardware....these look brassy on surface. Would I have to tape the adjacent wood to buff out the metal ? Some of the hardware does not have screws, but these pins. Also, I prefer satin finish....would it be wise to put couple of coats of some sort of quality "urethane" (Deft?) or brush laquer ? Keep in mind that I don't have a sprayer.

As to the lens, I've done some preliminary research and was able to determine that this Voightlander is 103 yrs of age (from a published table). Here is the catch, and the only minus (if one can call it that) are light cleaning marks. No mold, no haze, no issues. Yes, a WOW factor for this old piece of glass. What you see is some surface dust (didn't clean it yet). In fact, the home-made cap is probably producing most of the funk. I was able to move the aperture <F5.4 to F45> lever effortlessly. Might have to talk to Carol about it.

Really looking forward to shooting with it (it's relatively light) and would appreciate any info on the camera/lens and how to..... Thanks in advance.

Les

photoevangelist
7-Mar-2013, 01:24
Here's a similar project that I did back in January:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99056-Kodak-Eastman-2-D-5x7-Restoration-Project&highlight=kodak

I love the 5x7 format. It is too bad 5x7 isn't offered in color so much. You can find some color 13x18 (cm) film in Europe. The formats are similar in size so the film holders will work in your 5x7 back.

photoevangelist
7-Mar-2013, 01:28
Please do get your camera working again and join the 5x7 shooters to keep the format alive!

Leszek Vogt
8-Mar-2013, 13:06
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Lee. Your camera looks like it's begging to use - gorgeous work.

Whether I choose red or black bellows, the camera will look fine.....it's all about the function. I'd prefer to strip it down to bare wood and coat it appropriately (w/o stain). My camera body with front extension measures 23" long. How do I clean the rails as they are imbedded in the wood ? I'll try to disassemble the frame and send it for proper fitting to Custombellows. Funny, I just found the screws on the interior that hold the bellows frame (credit to you). Looks like most parts on this cam are cherry, but the pieces where the rails are attached....they look like mahogany grain. Do you (or anyone) know whether all the hardware on the camera are solid brass ? Some of the pieces look tarnished, as if some sort other metal (or alloy) was under it ??? The Voightlander lens appears to be 202mm, which falls into the "normal" sphere. One of these days I'll look for wider glass 125-135mm. Oh, and the leather handle had crumbled from age. I know that getting one with EASTMAN written on it would be a stretch, tough a leather replacement would be nice. The handle is attached by split pins at the bottom...and I'm bit leery since this aged brass could brake ?....and if so, could I get some replacements ?

I'm ready to order some film , but the camera is far away from being ready. Oh, one more thing, should I use a hat :D or install a real shutter on this lens ? What are my options ?

Thanks for the enlightenment. Will try to take some photos....before and after.

Les

Ivan
8-Mar-2013, 14:37
Here's a similar project that I did back in January:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99056-Kodak-Eastman-2-D-5x7-Restoration-Project&highlight=kodak

I love the 5x7 format. It is too bad 5x7 isn't offered in color so much. You can find some color 13x18 (cm) film in Europe. The formats are similar in size so the film holders will work in your 5x7 back.

Are you sure about this?
When I lived there, the film was too big for my film holders, but I never thought of buying the correct magazines :(
Thx.

Ivan
8-Mar-2013, 14:38
Please do get your camera working again and join the 5x7 shooters to keep the format alive!

Yes please!

photoevangelist
10-Mar-2013, 17:36
Are you sure about this?
When I lived there, the film was too big for my film holders, but I never thought of buying the correct magazines :(
Thx.

I have not tried it, but everything I read says 13x18 cm holders will fit on all 5x7 cameras. You do need the correct holder for 13x18 film because, as you said, the film is too big for 5x7 holders.

photoevangelist
10-Mar-2013, 17:41
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Lee. Your camera looks like it's begging to use - gorgeous work.

Whether I choose red or black bellows, the camera will look fine.....it's all about the function. I'd prefer to strip it down to bare wood and coat it appropriately (w/o stain). My camera body with front extension measures 23" long. How do I clean the rails as they are imbedded in the wood ? I'll try to disassemble the frame and send it for proper fitting to Custombellows. Funny, I just found the screws on the interior that hold the bellows frame (credit to you). Looks like most parts on this cam are cherry, but the pieces where the rails are attached....they look like mahogany grain. Do you (or anyone) know whether all the hardware on the camera are solid brass ? Some of the pieces look tarnished, as if some sort other metal (or alloy) was under it ??? The Voightlander lens appears to be 202mm, which falls into the "normal" sphere. One of these days I'll look for wider glass 125-135mm. Oh, and the leather handle had crumbled from age. I know that getting one with EASTMAN written on it would be a stretch, tough a leather replacement would be nice. The handle is attached by split pins at the bottom...and I'm bit leery since this aged brass could brake ?....and if so, could I get some replacements ?

I'm ready to order some film , but the camera is far away from being ready. Oh, one more thing, should I use a hat :D or install a real shutter on this lens ? What are my options ?

Thanks for the enlightenment. Will try to take some photos....before and after.

Les

Shutters are convenient, but perhaps costly to mount it. If the lens is valuable to you, you might want to consider it. You'll have to shoot a slow film and perhaps rate it at ISO 50 or 25 and use a small aperture setting to shoot in the day light to get a good long exposure if you're using a cap for your shutter. It might be cheaper to just buy a new lens in a shutter for your camera. If you're shooting indoors or at night there is of course no problem with long exposures. :)

John Kasaian
10-Mar-2013, 20:38
What a cool camera! Use it in good health!:D

Michael Graves
11-Mar-2013, 05:59
I have not tried it, but everything I read says 13x18 cm holders will fit on all 5x7 cameras. You do need the correct holder for 13x18 film because, as you said, the film is too big for 5x7 holders.

The holders are perfectly interchangeable. But the 5x7 film doesn't fit exactly into the 13x18 holder. It is sloppy at best and falls out at worst.