PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff 8x10 vs Wilderness 8x10

rustyair
6-Mar-2013, 16:42
Hi all,

I had a chance to use a 8x10 and I'm so stoked!

I've narrowed it down to two cameras, a used Deardorff 8x10 and Wilderness 8x10.

Which one would be better for field backpacking camera probably near my car?

Deardorff 8x10 v8 is around $1400 good condition and the wilderness is $2630 (include shipping) new all metal.

The weight is about the same. Both are around 12lb.

Is all metal camera sturdier than wooden Deardorff? Not sure what would I gain for spending extra $1200 more.

http://www.bhcamera.us/wilderness810.php

Advice needed!

Thanks!!

David Schaller
6-Mar-2013, 17:23
The Deardorff is fine with me. I've never wished the it were a metal camera. It's easy to use and love.

Bill_4606
6-Mar-2013, 17:34
Wood is nicer when it's very cold. Metal tends to suck the heat from your fingers.
Bill

Lachlan 717
6-Mar-2013, 18:02
Buy a 'Dorff and don't like it? You can probably sell it for the same price.

On the other hand, ever seen a "WTB: Used Wilderness 8x10" thread?

Somewhere in between the prices that you quoted, you can get brand new Chamonix and Shen Hao 8x10s that have the same (basic) design as the Wilderness. Have you considered these?

rustyair
6-Mar-2013, 23:49
Thanks guys for the advice! I will go with Deardorff.

photoevangelist
7-Mar-2013, 01:08
That Wilderness is uuuuugglly. I've got a self portrait of Richard Misrach with his 8x10 Deardorff. Those are beautiful classic cameras! Perhaps if I enjoy 8x10, I will upgrade for it's compactness.

36cm2
7-Mar-2013, 12:23
So much love for the Deardorff on this site, but I'm not so sure. It's heavier than the Wilderness and I can't imagine it's as rigid, especially a 20-40 year old used and well-experienced model. If the goal is to have a pretty picture taken with your camera, sure, buy a Deardorff. If the goal is to use it as a tool for great photographs, I'm not so sure you discount the Wilderness so quickly.

I've been asking the same type of question myself (Wilderness v. Chamonix v. Toyo M). If it weren't for the Toyo's weight, I'd be on that in a minute. I wonder if the Wilderness is as steady (probably not). I also wonder if it's more steady than the Chamonix (probably yes). I have a Chamonix 4x5 and it's beautiful and will not be sold for a long time. I also have a Deardorff, but it just feels too heavy for what it brings to the table. I'm thinking about selling it, but wondering if it's just me, or the format, or being spoiled by having worked with a massive studio camera that's a rock.

Anyway, there's my two cents. Hope it helps, although it probably just muddles things more.

All the best,
Leo

John Kasaian
7-Mar-2013, 12:30
Deardorff works for me.:D

E. von Hoegh
7-Mar-2013, 15:44
So much love for the Deardorff on this site, but I'm not so sure. It's heavier than the Wilderness and I can't imagine it's as rigid, especially a 20-40 year old used and well-experienced model. If the goal is to have a pretty picture taken with your camera, sure, buy a Deardorff. If the goal is to use it as a tool for great photographs, I'm not so sure you discount the Wilderness so quickly.

I've been asking the same type of question myself (Wilderness v. Chamonix v. Toyo M). If it weren't for the Toyo's weight, I'd be on that in a minute. I wonder if the Wilderness is as steady (probably not). I also wonder if it's more steady than the Chamonix (probably yes). I have a Chamonix 4x5 and it's beautiful and will not be sold for a long time. I also have a Deardorff, but it just feels too heavy for what it brings to the table. I'm thinking about selling it, but wondering if it's just me, or the format, or being spoiled by having worked with a massive studio camera that's a rock.

Anyway, there's my two cents. Hope it helps, although it probably just muddles things more.

All the best,
Leo

A wood camera will never be as rigid as an all metal camera. Look at a KMV 8x10 next to a Deardorff. But, as long as the wood camera locks down solidly and stays where you set it, it will be functionally as steady as anything short of a monorail.

My V8 was made in 1950, and it was very well used. It still locks down solidly, and it's still tight. Original leather bellows, too, these would be perfect except for some accidental damage to a few of the corners. I've been using it since I refinished it 1989.

karl french
7-Mar-2013, 19:06
Every camera is a series of compromises. In my opinion, an 8x10 Deardorff balances those compromises better than any other 8x10 camera I've used. I do like fact the my 8x10 Canham is lighter, has rear shift and occasionally the longer bellows. I did love the fact that my old Kodak Master was so fast to set up and was pretty well impervious to the elements, but in the end I always come back to the Deardorff. It just a really friendly, elegantly designed camera that does what it's supposed to very well.

joselsgil
7-Mar-2013, 19:44
Hi all,

I had a chance to use a 8x10 and I'm so stoked!

I've narrowed it down to two cameras, a used Deardorff 8x10 and Wilderness 8x10.

Which one would be better for field backpacking camera probably near my car?

Deardorff 8x10 v8 is around $1400 good condition and the wilderness is $2630 (include shipping) new all metal.

The weight is about the same. Both are around 12lb.

Is all metal camera sturdier than wooden Deardorff? Not sure what would I gain for spending extra $1200 more.

http://www.bhcamera.us/wilderness810.php

Advice needed!

Thanks!!

This is a no brainer for me.

Get the Deardorff and with the savings purchase a good quality lens.

Good luck.