PDA

View Full Version : Finished building 4x5

Calamity Jane
16-May-2004, 03:16
Whal, I finished building my 4x5 yesterday (albeit with a temporary bellows because my commercially made bellows hasn't cleared Customs yet).

I've got some HP5 and some E100G in the frige, so I guess I'd better load up a couple of holders and jump into these LF waters ;-)

If anybody's interested in camera building, there's some pictures up on my Web site at http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/camera/camera1.html

Don't make fun of the pictures on the Web site! I just got a $100 digital camera - I expect better from my 4x5 ;-)

Tim Curry
16-May-2004, 06:16
Whal little lady,

It look like you've figured out a thing or two with that thar camera of yourn. I wanna see some piktures from it when you take 'em.

Congrats. tim

Andre Noble
16-May-2004, 08:11
Take a box of Kleenex with you. The first time your tripod tips over you can use 'em to dry your eyes.

(meant in jest)

Seroiusly, I wonder if you can strengthen the two square front and Rear monorail clamps? I think those will sustain alot of stress during normal use.

Mike H.
16-May-2004, 11:45
From those of us who can't figure out how to use a manual screwdriver when the batteries run out on our powered one, Wow! Your efforts and your new "dark" cherry wood 4 X 5 are impressive! I LIKE the look. Hope you have wonderful results.

Jim Rice
16-May-2004, 16:30
I can't view the link, but welcome to your (our) doom.

David R Munson
16-May-2004, 17:45
Excellent work. Have fun using it!

RichSBV
16-May-2004, 19:48
A beautiful camera! Congratualtions! As a part time woodworker I truly envy you and your work. It would be nice to see more detaileed pics of the camera! And the color is wonderful, although it could use a touch of brass ;-) (sorry, I just love the looks of a dark wood + brass).

I hope it will offer you years of service!

Andrew O'Neill
16-May-2004, 22:49
Hey! How much does that sucker weigh? I like your bellows. Once you get your bellows from Canadian customs (I waited for a month for some 8x10 holders to come from NY state to my home near Vancouver!) and get it on your camera, you can use that nice one you made as a backup. For fun you might even want to try and make a bag bellows for those wide angle lenses....Good work Calamity Jane!

Ralph Barker
17-May-2004, 08:45
Congratulations, Jane. It looks . . . well, cherry. ;-)

Philippe Gauthier
17-May-2004, 12:03
Looks great, and light as well. No doubt you'll make some finepictures with this one. Congratulations.

Al W
23-May-2004, 10:21
Box joints with a band saw. Wow! I like seeing a photographer building their own gear. If you decide that 9.5 x 26 is the perfect format for some project, all it'll take is a trip to the shop. A lot of camera limitations have dropped away for you.

Maybe we should be promoting more do it yourself gear to get the handy types more interested in our passion. For many the joy of starting with a pile of wood and ending up with a beautiful photo is the ultimate thrill.

Hope you painted the inside of the bellows flat black also. If you didn't you'll get a lot of light bouncing around where you don't want it.