PDA

View Full Version : Linhof RF adjustment

Noeyedear
4-Mar-2013, 04:46
I have bought a Technika recently. It has a lens and correspondingly correct cam and infinity stops. I've noticed it is not accurate, Is it feasible for me to adjust it myself, I've noticed a screw at the bottom of the RF.
I'm wondering if I focus on the GG then turn the screw until the RF coincides if I will of adjusted the RF.
Or what is the techinque for adjusting?
The cam and lens serial numbers match.
Thanks,

Kevin.

Vick Ko
4-Mar-2013, 07:22
I scanned the web a bit, but didn't have time to find much.
I suggest studying the mechanism before going too far.
It probably isn't too complicated, and hopefully doesn't require specialized tools.

E. von Hoegh
4-Mar-2013, 08:17
I have bought a Technika recently. It has a lens and correspondingly correct cam and infinity stops. I've noticed it is not accurate, Is it feasible for me to adjust it myself, I've noticed a screw at the bottom of the RF.
I'm wondering if I focus on the GG then turn the screw until the RF coincides if I will of adjusted the RF.
Or what is the techinque for adjusting?
The cam and lens serial numbers match.
Thanks,

Kevin.

Be certain the infinity stops are correctly placed.

I reccomend having a qualified technician perform any other service.

Neal Chaves
4-Mar-2013, 08:57
Before you start "adjusting" anything in the RF mechanism you need to verify that the "matched lens and cam" you have is compatible with the camera body. Cams and lenses set up for Model IV Technikas probably will not work correctly with Model Vs and Masters and viceversa. Cammed lenses for Model IVs were set up for individual cameras and not interchangable between Model IVs.

First be sure the infinty stops are set to provide infinity focus with the lens on the ground glass with the focus track all the way back against the body stops. Now observe the RF image. If not matched, has the RF gone beyond infinty or failed to reach it?

If the RF passes infinity, the cam is too high at the end of its range, and a few passes of a fine file in that area (where you see the cam follower roller) could fix it. If the RF does not quite reach infinity, the cam is low at that point. Some careful tapping on the cam with a flat hammer in the right spot along the edge of the cam can stretch the metal out to provide the required lift for the RF image. Some filing may be required to smooth things out. Many factory original Technika IV cams shoe evidence of this final fitting being done at the factory.

I had several Linhofs over the years, including a new from the factory Master Technika 45, but I always maintained a 4X5 TRF Crown Graphic for use in unfavorable environments. I once had a Technika seriously damaged and put out of commision while working on a beach in Hawaii. Fine blowing sand you couldn't even see or feel got in the tracks and locked it right up. Eventually I came to the personal realization that I could do anything I wanted with the Crown Graphic and a Toyo view camera, so I disposed of all Linhof items and never missed them. Even when I had the Master Technika I still frequently needed and used a monorail view camera.

Jac@stafford.net
4-Mar-2013, 09:33
Stephen Gandy has a very good page (here) (http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm) which can help you identify exactly which Super Technika you have. There are many variants even within the same model ID. Having a matching cam and lens serial number does not mean it will work unless you have a true model V.

I would not adjust the Super Technika rangefinder myself unless it was under dire circumstances, and if I had to then first I would look at one specific Kalart manual (http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-manual.html) for some guidance.

fwiw, I do use a Super Technika V and am very happy with the rangefinder.

Oh, never touch the mirrors in the rangefinder. They are surface silvered and quite fragile.