PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my Rodenstock 80mm lens

DavyG
3-Mar-2013, 13:26
Hello all :)
I hope to reach someone more knowledgable about this lens and its shutter than me. I inherited it along with some other LF gear from my girlfriends deceased grandfather, so I can't really ask him, the original owner. The full name of the lens is: Rodenstock Grandagon 1:5.6 F=80mm (thats what it says on the front element)
My two questions: Does anyone have picture (or own an actual copy) of this lens? I feel pretty sure that the shutter mine is mounted in isn't the original. I base this on the few good pictures I've been able to find on the net and the fact that its elements doesn't really "fit" the shutter (it's hard to explain better than that, I'm afraid). I also base it on the fact that there's two rows of aperture values - one in white, one in yellow (see picture) - does anyone know which lens this shutter might have come from?.

I hope that some of the learned members of this site will be able to help me :)

EDIT: forgot the pic!

ic-racer
3-Mar-2013, 13:46
Hello all :)
I hope to reach someone more knowledgable about this lens and its shutter than me. I inherited it along with some other LF gear from my girlfriends deceased grandfather, so I can't really ask him, the original owner. The full name of the lens is: Rodenstock Grandagon 1:5.6 F=80mm (thats what it says on the front element)
My two questions: Does anyone have picture (or own an actual copy) of this lens? I feel pretty sure that the shutter mine is mounted in isn't the original. I base this on the few good pictures I've been able to find on the net and the fact that its elements doesn't really "fit" the shutter (it's hard to explain better than that, I'm afraid). I also base it on the fact that there's two rows of aperture values - one in white, one in yellow (see picture) - does anyone know which lens this shutter might have come from?.

I hope that some of the learned members of this site will be able to help me :)

EDIT: forgot the pic!

It is pretty important to have the correct aperture scale. Looks like someone stole the shutter and replaced it with a shutter from another lens.

Peter Yeti
3-Mar-2013, 13:48
Looks like an old-style copal no. 0, maybe from the 1960s. The double aperture scale points to a convertible lens like the old symmars. Looking at the range of the scale, I'd guess it was originally for a 5.6/150mm convertible lens.

Carsten Wolff
9-Mar-2013, 19:20
Yep, looks like that shutter came from a convertible 150mm Sironar. So, f16 on the shutter is really about f8....but if the elements don't fit properly anyway....time to send it to Grimes, I'd say.