PDA

View Full Version : Need comfortable tripod bag

nimo956
3-Mar-2013, 06:16
I have a Ries J600 tripod (the kind where the legs break down) and the J250 head. Does anyone know of a tripod bag with a bit more padding and perhaps a long shoulder strap that makes carrying it pretty easy for hours at a time? Thanks.

C_Remington
3-Mar-2013, 07:07
FWIW to you, I just bought THIS (http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/tripod/index.htm).

gleaf
3-Mar-2013, 08:05
Surveyors tripod bags come in several styles, they tend to run to red and high vis orange. Seco makes several.

http://www.surveying.com/Products/Bags-and-Cases/Bipod-and-Tripod-Bags.aspx

Tony Lakin
3-Mar-2013, 09:04
Small golf bag.

C_Remington
3-Mar-2013, 09:33
Small golf bag.

Hey, that's a good idea.

C. D. Keth
3-Mar-2013, 15:17
Why use a bag at all? That's just dead weight. Strap it to a backpack if you carry one. If not, make straps to put the sticks across your back by themselves.

nimo956
3-Mar-2013, 16:34
Tripod + Head weighs 10.5 lbs. It seems a little too heavy to attach to my backpack. The weight doesn't feel evenly distributed, unless I'm doing it wrong.

C_Remington
3-Mar-2013, 17:27
CD Keith, did you see that strap I just bought? Same idea I think.

lbenac
3-Mar-2013, 17:31
FWIW to you, I just bought THIS (http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/tripod/index.htm).

I really like the Gordys for wrist strap and I have them on all my MF. How does it work for you as a tripod strap? I looked at it but was a little bit worried that the leather is too narrow and would just shaft or bite in your shoulder or back?

welly
3-Mar-2013, 17:40
I'm looking for a tripod bag too, after my tripod got a bit of a bash on the plane this weekend gone. Actually, it was more the tripod head and I suppose I could have taken that off and put it in my bag (although it wouldn't have fit). It'd be good to find something that might protect the tripod and head a little bit.

nimo956
3-Mar-2013, 21:56
I was actually looking over the bag that came with the J600 and I noticed two loops for a shoulder strap, although it didn't come with one. I think that's all I really need to make the case more comfortable. I'll try to take one from a laptop bag or something or search for one online.

Daniel Stone
4-Mar-2013, 16:17
Just make a PVC tube w/ end caps(one cemented, one slip-on/off). All commonplace materials at the big-box homestore like Home Depot

shouldn't cost too many $$$'s, and its a HARD "case" so its nice to fly with too, if needed. I made one for a friend(he's not too handy with hand tools) since he travels by air a lot, and didn't want to muck up his $800 gitzo CF sticks. I've been thinking about making one for myself, but haven't really "needed" one as of yet...

cost me about $18 in materials, 2 beers and 1hr of work in the backyard :)

-Dan

Alan Gales
4-Mar-2013, 20:44
Why use a bag at all? That's just dead weight. Strap it to a backpack if you carry one. If not, make straps to put the sticks across your back by themselves.

I like them for storage because I keep my tripods under my bed. A bag keeps the dust bunnies out! ;)

Alan Gales
4-Mar-2013, 20:45

Now that is cool! I'm going to have to get one.

Alan Gales
4-Mar-2013, 20:50

Which color did you get? I'm thinking Black with the Hot Pink. :D

Tony Lakin
5-Mar-2013, 02:17
Try this:D

mandoman7
5-Mar-2013, 10:16
A good source of long, narrow canvas bags are music suppliers since they're useful for speaker and mic stands. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-ssb-6500-speaker-stand-bag

Alan Gales
7-Mar-2013, 15:06
Try this:D

I'd like to see her try that with my Ries A100 and double tilt head! ;)

John Koehrer
12-Mar-2013, 13:59
A small golf bag for me.. But! most of them available seem to be rigid. I've found a couple that don't have the insert and can be folded for packing. They would not offer protection for shipping.

C. D. Keth
12-Mar-2013, 14:51
CD Keith, did you see that strap I just bought? Same idea I think.

Yup, very same idea. You can either strap your sticks directly to your backpack, or adjust the strap so it can go horizontally across the top of your backpack with the strap across your upper chest. It's very comfortable that way and keeps the weight high and in tight to your body.

nimo956
14-Mar-2013, 07:02
Success! I appropriated the strap from my bowling bag, which has nice big metal clips on either end. It works very nicely on the Ries tripod bag.

C_Remington
14-Mar-2013, 07:11
Which color did you get? I'm thinking Black with the Hot Pink. :D

I got black strap with black shoulder pad with red binding. It just came last week. It:s really cool. Im using it on my Manfrotto tripod now. Will try it on the Zone VI large version soon. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Alan Gales
14-Mar-2013, 16:56
I got black strap with black shoulder pad with red binding. It just came last week. It:s really cool. Im using it on my Manfrotto tripod now. Will try it on the Zone VI large version soon. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Well, I followed your advice and my Gordy tripod strap arrived today. It took me a bit to figure out the best way to attach it to my Ries J100. I ended up attaching it to the underside of the tripod crown where the head bolt goes through instead of the head. It seems to work great and I think I'm really going to like it!

Oh, I did wimp out on the hot pink. ;) I got a Natural leather strap with Russet leather pad and Black wrapping cord. It looks rich on the Ries. I bet the black looks great with your Manfrotto.

Thanks for the great advice!

Drew Bedo
12-Apr-2013, 11:02
I have used a cheap golf-bag cart. Minimal mods to remove card holder etc.

Put the camera bag on the bottom and strapped Burlibach on. Worked for anywhere a wheelchair can go . . .not for hiking.

Another option is to adapt a jogging stroler: large-ish pneumatic wheels that swivle, hand/foot break and handle bar for pushing.