PDA

View Full Version : Mirror angle viewer for Linhof 5x7 anyone?

Paul Schilliger
15-May-2004, 10:48
I am looking for a way to facilitate viewing the ground glass on a Tech 5x7. Does anyone use the right angle viewer with monocular? How good is the image that is seen through? How about using it horizontal? Thanks for any imput!

Bob Salomon
15-May-2004, 12:09
Unlike the 45 and 23 Linhof viewer the 57 is one piece so the eye piece can not be moved independant of the ground glass. So it is a little more difficult to handle but it works beatifully.

However you must use a frenel screen with it.

Paul Schilliger
16-May-2004, 02:20
Bob, thanks for your report. Would you know how much magnification does the eyepiece provide? Is it x2? Is it enough for focussing or is the need to use a loupe still there?

Bob Salomon
16-May-2004, 02:38
2x you need a seperate loupe to focus. That is why the entire unit is attached with a hinge.

Paul Schilliger
16-May-2004, 03:25
Thank you, Bob. The viewer is certainly very good, but I see that there could be a problem when it is used in the open air: when it is opened, the ground glass- fresnel are exposed to light and there is the need to use a dark cloth to focus. Is the bellows-loupe viewer better in this regard? I have heard that it does not allow to view the complete image at once.

Bob Salomon
16-May-2004, 05:57
Yes the Focusing/Metering Bellows allows you to view the entire ground glass at 2x and focus on a specific area at 4x. Older ones are 2x only. You will still need the fresnel.

Paul Schilliger
16-May-2004, 06:47
This would seem better for landscape shots where movements could be used. Is there a lens complement that swings out of the way (4x-2x) ?

Bob Salomon
16-May-2004, 07:58
No. There are two 2x loupes that screw together in the eyepiece. The original versions of these had only one 2x loupe.

To view the entire GG or to use the meter adapter you need to use only the built-in 2x loupe. To view at 4x you simply screw in the second loupe. To use a meter you will also need a standard microscope adapter for the particular meter.

Paul Schilliger
16-May-2004, 08:47
Right! I see. This is a clever concept. Thank you, Bob.