PDA

View Full Version : Do you make your own Graflex Crown Graphic cams?

Vick Ko
1-Mar-2013, 21:54
Do you make your own Graflex Crown Graphic cams?

Does anyone have a bunch for sale? Store or collector / dealer?

regards
Vick

Kuzano
1-Mar-2013, 22:35
Do you make your own Graflex Crown Graphic cams?

Does anyone have a bunch for sale? Store or collector / dealer?

regards
Vick

Here is a link on Graflex.org to and article on making your own cams. In addition, I have seen on the internet a web site page, also on text on the measurements for each side of the cams for many focal length lenses. I saw that page a couple of months ago, and know I looked at the same page a few years ago. Can't tell you where it is, but surely someone on the site has a link. In addition, I also think I originally found that page by scouring Graflex.org

http://www.graflex.org/articles/oakes/

RawheaD
1-Mar-2013, 23:09
I'm thinking "if we have a good model for the various cams, we could probably 3D print the cams".

Mark MacKenzie
2-Mar-2013, 09:08
I've made cams for my Super Graphic. It takes a few hours each. I've made a 90mm, 152mm, and a 205mm. The main ingredient is patience.
It's not hard either. Hacksaw a piece of brass or steel the proper thickness. Approximate the angle for the focal length. Make it a tad too big. File down to close of the Infinity focus dimension then take a stone to make it perfect. File then stone to get proper focus agreement with the ground glass. If you file too much, then you've gone too far and need to start with another piece of stock.

I don't know the difference between the Crown and the Super, but they are different.

Good luck.

E. von Hoegh
2-Mar-2013, 09:40
I've made cams for my Super Graphic. It takes a few hours each. I've made a 90mm, 152mm, and a 205mm. The main ingredient is patience.
It's not hard either. Hacksaw a piece of brass or steel the proper thickness. Approximate the angle for the focal length. Make it a tad too big. File down to close of the Infinity focus dimension then take a stone to make it perfect. File then stone to get proper focus agreement with the ground glass. If you file too much, then you've gone too far and need to start with another piece of stock.
I don't know the difference between the Crown and the Super, but they are different.

Good luck.

Not quite - you can peen the edge out quite a bit (.020"- .050"), depending on the thickness of the stock you use. This method can also be used to salvage old cams that do not quite match.

Mark MacKenzie
2-Mar-2013, 11:24
Yep, I think that is true. This also shows how precise the cams should be. Its doable with simple hand tools. A caliper helps but not necessary.

My advice would be to go for it and persevere.

E. von Hoegh
2-Mar-2013, 12:34
Yep, I think that is true. This also shows how precise the cams should be. Its doable with simple hand tools. A caliper helps but not necessary.

My advice would be to go for it and persevere.

Well, it works on Linhof cams. I have a 6" Dagor made ca. 1908, it is cammed to a '59 STIV. I modified an orphan Linhof cam as described above.