PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite paper for Lith printing?

stradibarrius
1-Mar-2013, 07:33
What is your favorite paper for lith printing that is currently available. Afew I am curious about are New Oriental Seagull and Adox MCC110.

swittmann
5-Apr-2013, 08:27
Stradibarrius,

Have you had a look at http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/galerie ?

I have heard great things about Fomatone; so far, I tried the RC version and got nice colors, but would not recommend RC per se, because the long wet times caused flaking off of the emulsion (apart from the fact that I do not like RC that much, but that's just a question of taste, I know).

I do quite a bit of lith printing, but mainly use Forte papers: Forteza and PW. Of the current papers, I have tried second pass lith with Fomabrom Var. III and Adox Variotone and liked them a lot. You get nice redbrown-ish tones with them.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice weekend!

Sandra

Wally H
5-Apr-2013, 10:37
Take a look at Tim Rudman's latest (last?) newsletter at timrudman.com/LITH%20MATERIALS_UPDATE_FINAL_Feb%202013.pdf

Somewhat disturbing about the reformulation of the Foma papers but I still use them.

bob carnie
5-Apr-2013, 10:39
I prefer Ilford Warmtone for lith printing. Finding available papers is difficult. I have tried the Slavich grade 4 and it is spectacular as well as some of the Emak papers, but not sure where to get them on a consistant
basis.

andreios
5-Apr-2013, 10:57
I use mostly fomatone - but my stock is not the current emulsion which is indeed said to be changed.
I have some interesting results with Efke Varycon, but that is now gone. It behaves nicely with several additives or 2 tray lith.
I tried ilford and Kentmere - was not thrilled about them, but they are very nice for "2nd pass lith".
Oriental New Seagull should be OK also, never tried it.

But be sure to spend some time on the W. Moersch's pages that Sandra has linked, it is a well of information. Also, do browse lith printing groups on flickr, they are worth it.

tenderobject
5-Apr-2013, 17:00
check lith printing group on fb as well. :)

swittmann
8-Apr-2013, 11:36
Bob,

Do you use Ilford MGW for 2nd pass lith or does it lith directly, too? I tried a direct lith two days ago, but did not have much luck. I might just give it another try :)
2nd pass lith with this paper worked well for me.

Well, it was my understanding that the emulsion of MGW and Adox Variotone are the same, just with a different base. Variotone does not lith directly, so I assumed that MGW would not be suitable for this either. But then again I understand that the paper base can also have an effect of the lithability of a paper.

My dream would be the comeback of Polywarmtone - lithable as the original Forte paper... ahhh... I would be sooo happy.

Sandra

bob carnie
8-Apr-2013, 12:09
Hi Sandra
Lith Directly, I have never tried 2nd pass lith.
Most people here and on APUG think Ilford Warmtone does not work for lith directly.

But there is a trick .... do not wait for the image to explode in the dev as you would with other papers. (The print will look to dark and unexciting.}

When you start seeing the black emerge in the dev, pull the print . {The print will look flat and ugly}, when it goes into the fix it will explode with contrast.
Within a few prints , if you are smart like me you will figure out the pull time by judging the black emerging.
very few people have figured this out and consider this paper un-lith-able
Ilford Warmtone emulsion is nothing like Adox btw.

bob
This paper tones magnificently and is readily available with fresh emulsions to any size your heart desires.

Bob,

Do you use Ilford MGW for 2nd pass lith or does it lith directly, too? I tried a direct lith two days ago, but did not have much luck. I might just give it another try :)
2nd pass lith with this paper worked well for me.

Well, it was my understanding that the emulsion of MGW and Adox Variotone are the same, just with a different base. Variotone does not lith directly, so I assumed that MGW would not be suitable for this either. But then again I understand that the paper base can also have an effect of the lithability of a paper.

My dream would be the comeback of Polywarmtone - lithable as the original Forte paper... ahhh... I would be sooo happy.

Sandra