PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 2D handle rplacement?!?!?

Jim Graves
1-Mar-2013, 00:08
I have a nice replacement handle for my Kodak 2D 8x10 ... But when I tried to remove the original brass retaining brackets that hold the handle I quickly gave it up.

It looks like they are just brads/nails but when I tried to gently pry them up it quickly became apparent that the amount of force required might end up splitting the wood ... Which is not an option.

I'm sure some of you guys have done this ... But how?????

Roger Thoms
1-Mar-2013, 00:25
I just broke the hande on my 2D so I'm interested too. I took a quick look when the handle broke and it appears that the brads extend through the wood and are bent over. I figured that It would be easier to remove the brads if I removed the bellow first, the I could straighten out the brads. It would be great to hear from someone who has replaced their handle.

Btw where did you find your replacement handle?

Rpger

jcoldslabs
1-Mar-2013, 02:48
I'll join the chorus and say I'd like to know both about the replacement handle (I could use one) and the replacement procedure. It looks easy enough: pry up the tines on the brads, remove them, install the handle, and bend the tines back down. Of course, most of these things (*cough* bellows replacement *cough*) look much easier to do in theory than they are in practice, especially if one has never done them before.

Jonathan

Jim C.
1-Mar-2013, 07:17
The handle brackets are riveted in with split rivets, you'll do some damage if you pry them up
to take them out cleanly the rear bellows have to be taken out, then you can use a small screw
driver to pry the tangs up. Those rivets are steel, at least on my 2D's and the tangs will break
most of the time.

Roger Thoms
1-Mar-2013, 08:08
So once the split rivets break, does anyone have a source for new ones? Guess I should try googling split rivets.

Roger

BarryS
1-Mar-2013, 08:29
A simpler option is replacing the handle with nylon webbing and a small buckle. You can just thread it through the brackets without removing them. If you do remove the brackets, I think small nuts and bolts with washers would be better than rivets to reattach it.

Jim Galli
1-Mar-2013, 09:20
A simpler option is replacing the handle with nylon webbing and a small buckle. You can just thread it through the brackets without removing them. If you do remove the brackets, I think small nuts and bolts with washers would be better than rivets to reattach it.

I'll admit to having a black dog collar on my 5X7 Deardorff.

Michael Cienfuegos
1-Mar-2013, 09:55
For those who want leather handles :http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/handles.htm Scroll down to the Typewriter Handles, TH-16. They appear to be identical to the handles on my 8x10 Kodak 2D and are only $6.00. :)

Jim C.
1-Mar-2013, 09:56
So once the split rivets break, does anyone have a source for new ones? Guess I should try googling split rivets.

Roger

That's probably your best bet if you want the OEM look, Hanson rivets may have the size
there is also McMaster, but I think McMasters sizes run on the big side.

BarryS's solution is probably the easiest, 2-56 screws and lock nuts are plentiful, cheap and
available everywhere.

Just realized after Micheals post, that his link and possibly other luggage repair/replacement
sites may also have split rivets.

Michael Cienfuegos
1-Mar-2013, 09:58
That's probably your best bet if you want the OEM look, Hanson rivets may have the size
there is also McMaster, but I think McMasters sizes run on the big side.

BarryS's solution is probably the easiest, 2-56 screws and lock nuts are plentiful, cheap and
available everywhere.

I got my 2-56 screws and lock nuts from McMaster-Carr.

Jim C.
1-Mar-2013, 10:03
I got my 2-56 screws and lock nuts from McMaster-Carr.

LOL, I shop there often ( too often ) nothing like getting 100 screws for the price of 2 packages
from any of the home center stores. Added plus is you don't have to sort thru the home center
stuff only find out they don't have the length you need.

Jon Shiu
1-Mar-2013, 10:12
You can get handles and rivets from the Deardorff guy on ebay.

Jon

BarryS
1-Mar-2013, 12:04
For those who want leather handles :http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/handles.htm Scroll down to the Typewriter Handles, TH-16. They appear to be identical to the handles on my 8x10 Kodak 2D and are only $6.00. :)

Just checked these guys out and it looks like they have a great selection of handles and brackets at reasonable prices. Thanks for the recommendation!

Roger Thoms
1-Mar-2013, 20:30
Thank everyone, lots of good advice. I ordered a couple of handles from Brettensvillage, found some split rivets and might order those, just have check the size and make sure that they aren't to big, otherwise I'll use screws. In the mean I'll use some nylon webbing, which undoubtably have in me junk box. In the long run I would like to have the leather handle, just for aesthetics.

Roger

Jim Graves
4-Mar-2013, 00:01

Yep ... that's where I got the handle I'm sitting here looking at. Very nice and almost exactly the same size as the original. It'll make a nice replacement.

Michael Cienfuegos
4-Mar-2013, 13:32
Yep ... that's where I got the handle I'm sitting here looking at. Very nice and almost exactly the same size as the original. It'll make a nice replacement.

Great! I orders a few for my 2D's (don't ask…*I don't know how I ended up with three. One basket case and two intact. ) I'll have them by the end of the week. :)

Roger Thoms
4-Mar-2013, 14:11
Great! I orders a few for my 2D's (don't ask…*I don't know how I ended up with three. One basket case and two intact. ) I'll have them by the end of the week. :)

Must be pretty easy, as I have one basket case and two intact. :) Now I just need to find a 7x11 to complete my collection.

Roger

Michael Cienfuegos
4-Mar-2013, 14:46
Must be pretty easy, as I have one basket case and two intact. :) Now I just need to find a 7x11 to complete my collection.

Roger

I actually have three 5x7's including the basket case and one complete 8x10, which I bought off ebay. It was advertised as a 5x7, but when it arrived i realized that it was an 8x10 with a 5x7 back. I later found a brand new 8x10 back,, so I have the best of two worlds. I really don't have enough room for any more of these goodies, I want to refinish the basket case, it is presently in pieces. Oh well… just another project.

Curt
4-Mar-2013, 20:40

Roger

Hey Roger, 7x11's are on about every corner! What you need is a 7x17! Look at Jim Fitzgerald's panoramic carbon prints.

Curt

Roger Thoms
4-Mar-2013, 21:44
Hey Roger, 7x11's are on about every corner! What you need is a 7x17! Look at Jim Fitzgerald's panoramic carbon prints.

Curt

I have 5x7, 6.5x8.5, 8x10, all 2D's yes I've noticed those 7x11's on all the corners, they are convenient, but I looking for an older one, say from the 1920's. 7x17, now that's a thought. Oh and I think Jim's carbon prints are 8x20, at least the one I look at daily is. Don't even want to think about 8x20.

Roger

Tin Can
4-Mar-2013, 23:32
Late again. I am debating with myself on whether to put a Deardorff NOS 11x14 handle on my cherry Eastman View 7x11. Dare I drill a couple holes for a real nice handle? This camera IS very nice. Just how many 7x11's are out there, or is that in here?

Michael Cienfuegos
6-Mar-2013, 16:15
I received my handles from Brettuns Village today. They are an exact fit. I just have to find my 2-56 screws and nuts so that I can replace the handle on my 5x7. :)

m

Michael Cienfuegos
25-Mar-2013, 13:23
I replaced the leather handle on my Kodak 5x7 2D today. I had to remove the bellows from the rear box, but it is simply a matter of unscrewing two screws on each side and working the bellows frame out of the box. The brackets are held in with split rivets. I worked them loose and pried them out. I replaced the rivets with 2-56 brass machine screws. The job was a bit tedious, but I am quite happy with the results. Excuse the crappy images, made with hahd held iPhone:

Tin Can
25-Mar-2013, 13:35
Yes it does look nice. I would not trust split rivets installed in the old holes. 2 x 56 Machine bolts are not available everywhere. I found 100 packs at Amazon. Stainless bolts, nuts and washers $18 delivered for 100 of each. I only need one set for a B&J viewing hood repair.

Where did you obtain your bolts?

I replaced the leather handle on my Kodak 5x7 2D today. I had to remove the bellows from the rear box, but it is simply a matter of unscrewing two screws on each side and working the bellows frame out of the box. The brackets are held in with split rivets. I worked them loose and pried them out. I replaced the rivets with 2-56 brass machine screws. The job was a bit tedious, but I am quite happy with the results. Excuse the crappy images, made with hahd held iPhone:

Michael Cienfuegos
25-Mar-2013, 13:54
Yes it does look nice. I would not trust split rivets installed in the old holes. 2 x 56 Machine bolts are not available everywhere. I found 100 packs at Amazon. Stainless bolts, nuts and washers $18 delivered for 100 of each. I only need one set for a B&J viewing hood repair.

Where did you obtain your bolts?

I found mine at McMaster-Carr. A box of 100 1/2" screws is about $4.00. You also need nuts and washers. I already had them on hand for another project. You can order on line, their on-line catalog is fairly easy to navigate. You might be able to find small quantities at a good hobby shop.

Tin Can
25-Mar-2013, 14:19
I forgot about McMaster Carr, I have used them often. I just hate having lifetime supplies of everything. People already consider me an equipment hoarder.

I will check a Hobby Shop. I want some very tiny metric bolts also.

Thank you!

Jim C.
25-Mar-2013, 14:49
Why not just offer the extras here in the For Sale section, example, Michael bought 100, he used 8 ?
Just a thought...

Jim C.
25-Mar-2013, 14:54

Some 2D's had riveted hinges if that's what you're referring to, mine did, so some grinding might be necessary.

Michael Cienfuegos
25-Mar-2013, 19:20
Some 2D's had riveted hinges if that's what you're referring to, mine did, so some grinding might be necessary.

No, the rivets were holding the handle brackets. I was able to pry them loose enough to pop them out.

m