PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 8-Ply Board With Logan 750 Simplex Plus?

tgtaylor
28-Feb-2013, 18:37
The current Specs online state that an accessory for bevel cutting 8" board is included. However I have this model - purchased ~ 5years ago - and no such assessory is included nor is it mentioned in the users manual. Can this matt cutter cut 8" boards with the, I imagine, "standard" bevel cutter?

Thanks,

Thomas

vinny
28-Feb-2013, 20:57
Change blades after each matt and you'll be fine. That's my experience.

D. Bryant
28-Feb-2013, 20:58
The current Specs online state that an accessory for bevel cutting 8" board is included. However I have this model - purchased ~ 5years ago - and no such assessory is included nor is it mentioned in the users manual. Can this matt cutter cut 8" boards with the, I imagine, "standard" bevel cutter?

Thanks,

Thomas

Probably not with the standard blade. For 8 ply you will need to use Blade #271.

See this link for more info:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/logan-750-1-and-760-1-simplex-elite-mat-cutters/

Here is a nice little video that reviews the operation of the mat cutter though 8 ply board isn't specifically mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT1n0r_87tQ

Don Bryant

patrickjames
28-Feb-2013, 23:31
I have a Logan 5000 that has two depth settings for 4 and 8 ply mats. The older cutter I used to have would only cut one depth. I believe the 5000 is new, so you may want to get one of them if you find you need it. 8 ply mat board is expensive. No sense screwing up mats.

As an aside, I had a friend who was a high end framer. He would only use a blade for one cut when cutting 8 ply . In other words, 4 blades per mat.

Drew Wiley
1-Mar-2013, 09:35
Wouldn't be my favorite choice if purchasing a new matcutter for this thickness. If you've already gone one, well, good luck.

D. Bryant
1-Mar-2013, 18:38
Wouldn't be my favorite choice if purchasing a new matcutter for this thickness. If you've already gone one, well, good luck.

The Fletcher 2100 is the mat cutter to get in my opinion. Good used ones can be purchased for about $700.

As for 8 ply mat - I think it is over kill most of the time but if you have to use it pay a pro shop to cut your 8 ply mat, preferably one with a CNC mat wizard. If they screw it up they eat the mat board. All of the 8 ply that I've used is very difficult to cut and one should plan on using a new blade for each edge cut.

Don Bryant

matthew blais
1-Mar-2013, 19:49
I've cut my own 8 ply with a Logan and use a blade for one whole mat. Secret is to make 6-8 passes, lightly, and slowly cut your way through. Even with 4 ply (especially rag) I make several light passes to go through.

But I found a local guy with a computer mat cutter and he only charges $1.80 per mat to cut. 45 cents per corner..hard to beat.

tgtaylor
1-Mar-2013, 21:47
Thanks guys for the replies. It looks like the model I have was discontinued and replaced in 2011 with essentially the samer cutter but also included a Model 711 Bevel cutter for 8-ply boards which require the 271 blade. My unit has the 702 mat cutter which uses the 270 blade. Works fine in 2 and 4-ply boards but is not recommended for 8-ply. I am going to contact Logan to see if I can purchase the 711 Bevel cutter and I will also inquire locally, as Matt suggests, for a local shop that is equipped to cut 8-ply. As not4ed above, 8-ply board is super expeensive and I'm only contemplating cutting windows in 8-ply and using 4-ply bot the back board.

Thanks,

Thomas

tgtaylor
2-Mar-2013, 10:56
I have a Logan 5000 that has two depth settings for 4 and 8 ply mats. The older cutter I used to have would only cut one depth. I believe the 5000 is new, so you may want to get one of them if you find you need it. 8 ply mat board is expensive. No sense screwing up mats.

As an aside, I had a friend who was a high end framer. He would only use a blade for one cut when cutting 8 ply . In other words, 4 blades per mat.

HaHAHa...The whole time I thought that the 5000 was another Logan cutter like the 750 and not a Bevel Cutter! I emailed Logan CS a query if the Model 711 Bevel Cutter would work on the 750 and THEN stumbled on the fact the 5000 is the new incarnation of the 711. I'm sure it will work on the 750 but might as well wait until I get a ressponse from Logan.

Thanks again everyone for the replies. It brought me up to date with the Logan mat cutters.

Thomas

patrickjames
2-Mar-2013, 14:41
Thomas, the 5000 is a very solid device. Two features that vastly improve on the older cutter I had are the rotating blade plunger mechanism and the pin that engages the cutter to the board so it doesn't slip at all. The older cutter I had would sometimes distort the blade near the beginning of the cut so the mat was not entirely perfect with the bevel angle. The 5000 is a pull cutter vs. a push cutter. I snagged the 5000 from ebay a couple of years ago for pretty cheap, although they are only about $55 or so at places like Dick Blick.

tgtaylor
4-Mar-2013, 18:42
In case anyone is following this, here is the reply from Logan:

Hello Thomas, thank you for choosing Logan for your matting needs!

You can purchase the item 5000 8 Ply Mat Cutter that will work with your machine.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/handheld/8ply.php
Please let me know if I can be further help.

Thank you again!

Laurri

Nice folks! As Patrick pointed out Blick's sell the 5000 and this coming weekend is the time to buy one as Blick is doubling their discount to 20% with the Blick Preferred Customer Card this weekend.

Thomas

ROL
4-Mar-2013, 19:07
I cut 8-ply all the time. It's the only thing I use for professional presentation window matting. I would not consider 8-ply to be "overkill". It makes a strong shadow line against the mount. I have recently begun to see even deeper window mats, perhaps 10 or 12 ply in use in museums. I cannot confirm the secrets given by some posters. A lot depends upon your mat cutting equipment. A single edge blade is a must for clean bevel cuts. The index lines on some cutters for starting and stopping cuts are not gospel. The geometry of the cut is hugely dependent on the depth of the blade and the thickness of the particular board. Practice makes perfect. Always use a backing board. BTW, I have a lot (hundreds) of smaller pre-cut 8-ply white linen museum board sized from 8x10 to 11x14 and larger, leftovers from window cuts on larger pieces, that I cannot use.

Vaughn
4-Mar-2013, 22:19
I have been cutting 8-ply for years with various Logan cutters...don't remember the numbers, (pulls, not push) all using the 271 blade. I'll use one corner of one blade for several holes.

ROL
5-Mar-2013, 11:34
I have been cutting 8-ply for years with various Logan cutters...don't remember the numbers, (pulls, not push) all using the 271 blade.

Ha! My mat cutter instructs one to pull the cutter. While seeing the end point of the cut may be easier, I have never been able to use the cutter effectively without pushing it. Some board, particularly 100% rag, are difficult to plow through even with new blade, and it can be impossible to make long cuts with little on the cutting head to pull against.

Drew Wiley
5-Mar-2013, 11:57
I'm coveting a SpeedMat. My fingers are just getting too arthritic and stiff for the Logan.

tgtaylor
5-Mar-2013, 20:52
One man's push is another man's pull :)