PDA

View Full Version : Question about Compur Press Shutter

George Owens
26-Feb-2013, 18:54
I recently purchased a used LF and it came with a Zeiss Tessar 6.3 210mm lens and Compur Press shutter. The shutter seams to work properly from around a 1/10th to 1/100th of second, however, there are two issues. One is the shutter sticks open at 1 second to a 1/5th of a second. The other issue is it's tougher to get the shutter to go to 1/200th and is very resistant but not impossible, when I do get the shutter speed set at 1/200th, it's tough to cock the setting lever at that speed. Once the shutter IS set, it seams to work properly when releasing the shutter. I question if it would be worth it to have if repaired by a reputable camera shop or attempt to open it up and experiment. Is this shutter worth getting it to function properly? Visually, it's in great condition but just not sure what would be a reasonable amount to spend to get it back to optimal operation. Anyone else had similar issues, if so, what did it cost? Hopefully may just need cleaning. Thanks!

Fotoguy20d
27-Feb-2013, 11:39
Compur shutters are high quality shutters and generally worth fixing. carol Miller at Flutots has worked wonders with mine in the past. Around $75 will get a CLA on a shutter. Yours sounds like it needs a cleaning.

Dan

George Owens
28-Feb-2013, 18:09
Compur shutters are high quality shutters and generally worth fixing. carol Miller at Flutots has worked wonders with mine in the past. Around $75 will get a CLA on a shutter. Yours sounds like it needs a cleaning.

Dan

Thanks Dan, just what I wanted to hear, I did take it to a local shop that sends repairs out and I'm waiting to find out how much. They're making a call to the shop explaining the issue. Will compare that with $75 and possibly contact Flutots. Thanks for the lead and I hope it just needs CLA.

George

Peter Yeti
28-Feb-2013, 19:05
George,

I'd definitely get it fixed! I have compur shutters from the 1920s which are way more accurate than my copals from the 1990s. They are extremely well-made, robust, and easy to maintain. The only two drawbacks are that you need to get used to the uncommon speeds like 1/5 instead of 1/4 and often they don't have x-sync. On the other hand, what's the alternative? A new shutter that fits would be a gamble because of the possibly non standardized thread an cell spacing dimensions and would cost way more than the whole lens is worth. I can't give you a quote because I fix my shutters myself but I guess it will be well worth the money.

George Owens
3-Mar-2013, 12:19
George,

I have compur shutters from the 1920s which are way more accurate than my copals from the 1990s.

Is there an acurate way to determine when my Compur was manufactured?

Peter Yeti
3-Mar-2013, 13:14
Not sure how accurate, but up to the 1950s Deckel embossed a serial number on their shutters. For quick reference look here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Compur_serial_numbers. Or for a first orientation: Dial on top = before 1932, dial as ring = 1932 and later.

George Owens
5-Mar-2013, 18:36
My local shop doesn't work on shutters and Flutot's now has a 4 month waiting list! Any other recommendations for CLA?

Fotoguy20d
5-Mar-2013, 20:20
I'm semi permanently on the Flutot list. As soon as my last two came back, I went on the list for two more. Its my turn again - just sent my shutters off to Carol. Worth the wait to me.

Robbie Bedell
12-Mar-2013, 20:00
I had Paul Ebel at Paul Ebel lens services do one of my old compur shutters and he did a great job. Just Google him and you will find him..Robbie

http://robbiebedell.photoshelter.com

George Owens
15-Mar-2013, 19:23
Thanks for the lead Robbie, I'll look him up.

Jim Andrada
17-Mar-2013, 18:51
Carol has a "Rush" service that costs more but it sort of gets you closer to the head of the queue IIRC. I used it once. Still took a few weeks, but less than 4 months.