PDA

View Full Version : Lens at around 600mm - 840mm with image circle of 52inch

WootSK
26-Feb-2013, 18:38
Hi, I am planning on an easily dismentable 2m x 2m x 2m dark tent with an opening infront to mount a lens for a 32x40inch wet plate. (Due to time and budget, I am putting 1.5yrs for the plan) I am scouting around online for a budget lens of that range with image circle of 52inch. But most lens listed do not list the image circle and those legacy lens are like having no documentation on lens design or any other details. Looking at the photo to even guess the lens design and estimate the image circle doesn't feels comfortable for me. BTW, I am not planning on a pinhole, but just wondering if anyone knows of a lens in this range with that image circle size?:)

Dan Fromm
26-Feb-2013, 19:21
You want a 600 that covers 95 degrees, an 800 that covers 80 degrees. I fear me you've defined lenses that don't exist. Good luck.

If you can use longer focal lengths, a 1200 or an 1800 Apo Ronar might do. so would a 70" Apo Artar. Here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goerz-70-inch-f-16-Apo-Artar-/321075626801 is a 70" Apo Artar. Good luck.

Jody_S
26-Feb-2013, 22:57
... so would a 70" Apo Artar. Here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goerz-70-inch-f-16-Apo-Artar-/321075626801 is a 70" Apo Artar. Good luck.

I pm'd the seller asking if he had 2 of these. I'm of a mind to construct a giant stereo camera. At a mere $24K for the lenses, why not?

WootSK
27-Feb-2013, 00:36
Actually I am looking at process lens and at 890mm APO NIKKOR (dialyte). But still sourcing in B&S and Evil Bay hoping for a steal.

Lachlan 717
27-Feb-2013, 03:23
What about one of the single maniscus lenses Rienhold (?) sells?

goamules
27-Feb-2013, 06:56
Look for a Rapid Rectlinear. I would get the largest rapid rectilinear you can find, then take out the front element. You probably won't get the coverage you are dreaming of, but you can adjust the size of your plate down to whatever coverage you do end up with.

Otherwise, I'd be looking for extreme wide angles, like an RD Gray no. 9 or 10. Good luck finding one, they are cataloged but never seen that large. Even the largest Protar V won't cover what you want....and would cost thousands. I would not use the words "cheap" or "on a budget" anywhere near this kind of endeavor.

WootSK
27-Feb-2013, 08:07
What about one of the single maniscus lenses Rienhold (?) sells?

I dropped a mail to him. I notice in his site, the largest is 500mm, anything more could be custom. The reason for looking at a 890mm apo nikkor is that it has the image circle in 1:1. Lets hope Rienhold reply me with good news. :)

WootSK
27-Feb-2013, 08:09
Look for a Rapid Rectlinear. I would get the largest rapid rectilinear you can find, then take out the front element. You probably won't get the coverage you are dreaming of, but you can adjust the size of your plate down to whatever coverage you do end up with.

Otherwise, I'd be looking for extreme wide angles, like an RD Gray no. 9 or 10. Good luck finding one, they are cataloged but never seen that large. Even the largest Protar V won't cover what you want....and would cost thousands. I would not use the words "cheap" or "on a budget" anywhere near this kind of endeavor.

Thanks for reply, will check out on it. Trying to assemble everything on a budget as I am not earning anything more than a passion out of it. If you read my status, "Overworked and Underpaid Guy". :p

Dan Fromm
27-Feb-2013, 08:19
I dropped a mail to him. I notice in his site, the largest is 500mm, anything more could be custom. The reason for looking at a 890mm apo nikkor is that it has the image circle in 1:1. Lets hope Rienhold reply me with good news. :)

Interesting. What magnification do you intend to work at?

Lachlan 717
27-Feb-2013, 11:51

He's advertising 1000mm somewhere at the moment. Have a look for that, perhaps?

Hermes07
27-Feb-2013, 17:05
1200mm is a normal focal length for 32x40 and even a process lens that long is a stretch to cover at infinity. a 35" dialyte would put you in close-up only territory. Unless you want 2/3 of your plate to be an indistinct blur, or you can afford to wait for a heavily stopped down lens to expose the plate, I'd steer well clear of anything single element.

Incidentally, you can get coverage stats for most lenses online with some dedicated searching.

WootSK
27-Feb-2013, 22:14
1200mm is a normal focal length for 32x40 and even a process lens that long is a stretch to cover at infinity. a 35" dialyte would put you in close-up only territory. Unless you want 2/3 of your plate to be an indistinct blur, or you can afford to wait for a heavily stopped down lens to expose the plate, I'd steer well clear of anything single element.

Incidentally, you can get coverage stats for most lenses online with some dedicated searching.

Why against single element?

Hermes07
28-Feb-2013, 13:53
The angle of sharp coverage you'll get with a single element will be poor unless it's stopped down a lot (likely to the point where diffraction will negate the resolution advantages of such a large format).

What you appear to be looking for is a wide-angle lens capable of covering a huge negative sharply. A single element is pretty much the opposite of that

WootSK
6-Mar-2013, 09:16
The angle of sharp coverage you'll get with a single element will be poor unless it's stopped down a lot (likely to the point where diffraction will negate the resolution advantages of such a large format).

What you appear to be looking for is a wide-angle lens capable of covering a huge negative sharply. A single element is pretty much the opposite of that

Sorry, very busy recently with work and school assignment.

@ hermes07, I do understand where you are coming from. Perharps I should have some patience while camping for such a lens that comes by which in the mean time, I will save up to increase the budget available. Anyway, I am planning on glass plate positive where the glass plate will be supported with a black matt back on easel when shooting and acrylic honeycomb base when going into trays so that the solution weight do not crack the fragile glass.

Louis Pacilla
9-Mar-2013, 14:55

Hey Garrett, I was wondering where you found an Extreme Angle Periscope in a size #10 ? I'm not being a smart ass about it and believe you but I have only been able to find adds supporting the #9 12.6 fl covering 25x30 and the #8 10"fl covering 20x24 but those are the two longest I can find. I ask because I found a really nice and complete #8 and was under the impression it was the second to longest made.

BTW Another thing you may find interesting is the last attachment which came from a book (I forget which book but I think the author was Hans Hartings ) on optics from Google books. I found this bit of writing (if true) a rather important historical optical fact that seems to have been over looked . Well maybe not all that important.

Roger Hesketh
15-Mar-2013, 02:50
Dallmeyer Adon maybe? With them providing you have sufficient extension they will cover pretty much any plate size. The extension determines the plate size covered. I suspect your dark tent would have to be substantially bigger and the effective aperture would be very small .Focal length and exposures very long. Probably better than a single lens though and possibly even cheaper too.