PDA

View Full Version : What have i found?

edunne02
26-Feb-2013, 00:20
Greeting to all

This is first post from a total newbie. Sorry in advance if I violate protocol.

I have found a very old box of 12 metal framed, glass plates (85mm x 100mm).

They appear to be a commercial set intended for use in an image projector.

The images on the plates are B/W scenes of the Rhine River.

The following is on the top of each slide: "Der Rhine bei Koblenz" "Rhihe Do 239"
This is followed by a more specific description of the particular image.

At the bottom of each slide is "Ed. Liesegang, Dusseldorf".

I'd be most grateful if someone could provide information regarding these plates. And/or a source where I could do more research.

Thanks so much,

edunne02

Steven Tribe
26-Feb-2013, 02:09
There were many companies that produced travel and exotic slide series for Magic Lantern projectors.

It is was not enough to make the hardware - the public had to have pictures to show.
Magic lanterns were used in Education/Lectures as well as better-off middle class homes.

Evangelical societies also did a big business with "holy" slide series.

Ed Liesegang was the most successful maker of projectors/lenses in Germany - and sold slide series.
I have even seen a slide series by Liesegang showing lens production at one of his lens maker rivals in Germany!

These are quite common - there are special categories of the animated slides and the usual erotic variations for all-men audiences (I'm told!).

edunne02
26-Feb-2013, 10:42
There were many companies that produced travel and exotic slide series for Magic Lantern projectors.

It is was not enough to make the hardware - the public had to have pictures to show.
Magic lanterns were used in Education/Lectures as well as better-off middle class homes.

Evangelical societies also did a big business with "holy" slide series.

Ed Liesegang was the most successful maker of projectors/lenses in Germany - and sold slide series.
I have even seen a slide series by Liesegang showing lens production at one of his lens maker rivals in Germany!

These are quite common - there are special categories of the animated slides and the usual erotic variations for all-men audiences (I'm told!).

Mr. Tribe,

Thanks very much for taking time to reply.

Quite informative.

One last question... Is there a market for such slides?

Thanks again!

Ed

Lenny Eiger
26-Feb-2013, 10:46
There is a yahoo group called PhotoHistory that I lurk on. These folks tend to be incredibly knowledgeable. You might post a question there...

Lenny

edunne02
26-Feb-2013, 22:41
There is a yahoo group called PhotoHistory that I lurk on. These folks tend to be incredibly knowledgeable. You might post a question there...

Lenny

Lenny,

Thanks very much. I'll give it a shot.

Cheers,

ED