PDA

View Full Version : zeiss 120mm 4.5 Tessar

Cornelius
25-Feb-2013, 15:31
Hello all,

So I've tried searching all over this forum but can't seem to find any info on the Zeiss 120mm 4.5 Tessar's. I'm pretty sure it was designed for the 6x9 folder's back in the day which will mean vignetting on 4x5 which I am totally fine with. But I'm curious if anyone knows of a site, or has personal info on image circle, history, general specs for the lens.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Jody_S
25-Feb-2013, 17:13
VM: Series 1c Tessar, 1906, f4.5, one focal length mentioned is 4.75" (120mm). Suggested to use 6" for 4x5 and 16" for 8x10. I've never personally seen a camera with a 120mm Tessar, but then I haven't seen all the cameras out there.

Dan Fromm
25-Feb-2013, 17:18
See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/zeiss_3.html , p.23. Not for 6x9, normal for that format is around 100 mm. In metric, 6.5 x 11. In imperial, 2 1/2 x 3 1/2.

drew.saunders
25-Feb-2013, 17:24
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/zeiss_3.html page 23 has the f/4.5 Tessars. It lists a 5.5" image circle (odd that Zeiss would list that in inches), for about 140mm. The usual "best guess if you don't have the actual data for that lens" image circle calculation for any given Tessar is 1.1x the focal length, for 132mm, so either way, it'll vignette on your 4x5.

Cornelius
25-Feb-2013, 22:07
Ok thank you so much for the info everyone.

Cornelius
25-Feb-2013, 23:18
That camera eccentric is awesome!

Cornelius
25-Feb-2013, 23:40

It's essentially this same lens, only in 120 instead of the 105. Not sure what it came off of as they are usually 105's. The guy I'm buying it from had both the 105 and the 120mm.

Cornelius
28-Feb-2013, 22:22

Hi guys, so I thought I would update what I found out with the Zeiss 120 4.5 lens. It showed up today and I shot a few sheets. Front standard was zeroed but I did swing the rear, and there was not only no vignetting, but there wasn't really any noticeable falloff. I was actually hoping for some vignetting with this lens, but it is a nice lens regardless, especially considering the price I paid. :o

I will articulate the front standard next go round and post updates of my findings later...

*pics taken with a Fujifilm X100 @f/2 & iso 1600

E. von Hoegh
1-Mar-2013, 08:25

Hi guys, so I thought I would update what I found out with the Zeiss 120 4.5 lens. It showed up today and I shot a few sheets. Front standard was zeroed but I did swing the rear, and there was not only no vignetting, but there wasn't really any noticeable falloff. I was actually hoping for some vignetting with this lens, but it is a nice lens regardless, especially considering the price I paid. :o

I will articulate the front standard next go round and post updates of my findings later...

*pics taken with a Fujifilm X100 @f/2 & iso 1600

Rear movements place no demands on a lenses coverage. While you may not get vignetting, it's pretty doubtful that a Tessar of this focal length and aperture will give sharp corners on 4x5 at any aperture.

IanG
1-Mar-2013, 09:08
A few German manufacturers offered their 6.5x9cm cameras with an option of a 120mm Tessar instead of a 105mm lens, KW sold them with their 6.5x9 Patent Etui.

As stated above edge and corner sharpness won't be that good, a 135 Tessar only just covers 5x4 and corner sharpness just starts to come in at f16 and is fine by f22.

Ian

Cornelius
1-Mar-2013, 09:19
Thanks Ian. I bought this lens for portraiture so it will suit those needs quite well.

Cornelius
1-Mar-2013, 09:32
Ian, you seem to be knowledgable about this lens; I just noticed the front element turns freely. It also has some markings on the sides of the barrel. What is the purpose?

Cornelius
1-Mar-2013, 09:33
Was that for focusing on the folder?

Sevo
1-Mar-2013, 09:51
Was that for focusing on the folder?

No. The mentioned camera is a "vest pocket" (i.e. 6.5x9cm) folding bed plate camera, which were focused by shifting the front standard on the bed, not cell focused on the lens. If there are markings on the lens, the lens either served a different purpose or was after-market converted. It was very common among hobbyists of that period to use their camera lens on their enlarger, or to use a add-on vertical stand and lamp house to convert the entire camera into a enlarger - perhaps unscrewing the cell was needed there to add extension (respectively reduce focal length).

Cornelius
1-Mar-2013, 10:05
No. The mentioned camera is a "vest pocket" (i.e. 6.5x9cm) folding bed plate camera, which were focused by shifting the front standard on the bed, not cell focused on the lens. If there are markings on the lens, the lens either served a different purpose or was after-market converted. It was very common among hobbyists of that period to use their camera lens on their enlarger, or to use a add-on vertical stand and lamp house to convert the entire camera into a enlarger - perhaps unscrewing the cell was needed there to add extension (respectively reduce focal length).

That's what I thought, but this lens does not look to have been converted or manipulated... It has a red dot on both barrel and shutter. They look paired for sure.

E. von Hoegh
1-Mar-2013, 10:10
Thanks Ian. I bought this lens for portraiture so it will suit those needs quite well.

Ummm. 120mm is very short for a portrait lens...

IanG
1-Mar-2013, 10:27
Cornelius, I've been using quite a few Tessar lenses both CZJ and clones over the past 6 or 7 yeras and a rimset Compur 135mm was the standard lens on my Crown Graphic also an older Dial set version of the 135mm on Patent Etui, neither cover as well as the 150mm Tessar, which is as good as a much newer Schneider f5.6 Xenar.

Some Tessars have their markings on the outside of the barrel as there's no room on the retaining ring, my 165mm f5.3 CZJ Tessar is like that but not my earlier 165 f6.3 version, or any of my other Tessars.

Are you saying the glass is loose, that might be due to the retaining ring.

Ummm. 120mm is very short for a portrait lens...

Not for environmental portraits which some shoot with a 35mm FL lens on a 35mm camera, this is comparative in many ways.

Ian

E. von Hoegh
1-Mar-2013, 10:36
Cornelius, I've been using quite a few Tessar lenses both CZJ and clones over the past 6 or 7 yeras and a rimset Compur 135mm was the standard lens on my Crown Graphic also an older Dial set version of the 135mm on Patent Etui, neither cover as well as the 150mm Tessar, which is as good as a much newer Schneider f5.6 Xenar.

Some Tessars have their markings on the outside of the barrel as there's no room on the retaining ring, my 165mm f5.3 CZJ Tessar is like that but not my earlier 165 f6.3 version, or any of my other Tessars.

Are you saying the glass is loose, that might be due to the retaining ring.

Not for environmental portraits which some shoot with a 35mm FL lens on a 35mm camera, this is comparative in many ways.

Ian

I hadn't thought of environmentals, 120/135 would be about right for that.