PDA

View Full Version : Support brace options

Diane Maher
12-May-2004, 06:31
Has anyone used a Manfrotto long lens support to stabilize an 8x10 field camera? I have an 8x10 Agfa/Ansco and I use it on a Manfrotto 3047 head with a large plate. When I open the camera, the rear of the bed is not supported by anything and it can get a little wobbly, i.e. I can wiggle it with my hand. The front of the camera is secured to the head/tripod. Maybe I don't have the head screwed into the camera tight enough? It does have a hole for a second support on the rear section of the camera bed.

John Cook
12-May-2004, 07:22
I spent a lot of years assisting commercial photographers in LA and wandering along the coast doing my own thing with 8x10 Dearforffs flapping in the shore breeze. Our S.O.P. was to wait ten seconds after inserting the holder for the camera to settle before clicking the shutter.

It always seemed perfectly normal to me, and what I gave up when abandoning the big moosey studio Linhof monorail. There was probably a reason, in the 1970's, that all German products seemed to be made from cast iron and ran on diesel.

Your trick (the long lens support) may work. Our only remedy for extra-long bellows shots was to introduce a second tripod or lightstand for additional support. Having a second point of support seemed more effective than just beefing up the single tripod head.

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
12-May-2004, 08:10
For additional support of camera or long bellows, I have found that a Manfretto uni. studio clamp onto the forward or rear leg of my Gitzo tripod with a short supporting arm does a superb job.:)

Ralph Barker
12-May-2004, 08:20
Although the Bogen long-lens support, or one of the other articulated arm-and-clamp options, is better than nothing, their design is most effective at dampening vertical motion - not horizontal motion. As such, I would agree with John - introducing a second tripod is probably a better solution for wind-induced camera shake. I think lightstands, however, fall into the same category as the arm-style braces. They just aren't sturdy enough to handle horizontal motion well.

Diane Maher
12-May-2004, 10:16
It's actually the vertical motion that I'm concerned about. When I am focusing, I am moving the rear standard backwards onto this unsupported bed. Sorry for not making that clear in the original post. The bellows is 29 inches for this camera at full extension.

Paul Metcalf
12-May-2004, 11:51
Diane- I have both a 5x7 and a 8x10 Conley field camera, from early 20th century, and both are somewhat "floppy" in windy conditions. I mount the base part of the camera on the tripod (the part that does not fold), and then connect the Manfrotto Long Lens support to the base part onto which the front standard moves. On these cameras (as with many old fields) this part is adjustable forward and aft. I extend it as far forward as it will go, then attach the support arm, keeping rotating joint and extension connections loose after I've approximately composed. I then finely compose, lock down all connections, fine focus, lock standards, adjust lens settings as necessary, insert film holder, pull slide, wait a few seconds (at least, maybe more depending on what's going on in the scene), and expose. The support has helped a lot. I've contemplated using one for when I use the rear extension, but there is an issue of working with a dark cloth that uses a continuous elastic band (which is what I use). Other than adding a little weight/bulk to my tripod setup, this significantly helps with stablizing, and it also helps improve the leveling of the camera. I know Dick Arentz uses a similar device with his large banquet camera.

One other item, I've noticed that my rear standard on my 8x10 has some fore/aft movement ("wobble") when it is located at the rear-most position on the standard bed (without extension). I assume this is due to it's age and wear & tear. I now move it forward (or aft with the extension) some as the support grooves are much tighter away from this area and that has helped with windy conditions, as well. There is a wind stablizing kit (View Camera Store) that effectively ties together the front and rear standards, also helping with stability. Arentz also uses this (or similar device).

HTH, Paul.

Diane Maher
12-May-2004, 13:06
The front standard is located on the base part which is mounted on the tripod. It is as far forward as it will go (it doesn't extend forward). Anyway, it sounds like this support might work for the rear though. Thanks for all the replies.

Diane Maher
3-Jun-2004, 06:28
I went ahead and purchased the Manfrotto long lens support. I will see how well it works the next time I'm out shooting 8x10.