PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Questions (Image Circle/Lenses)

Camerahead
24-Feb-2013, 14:34
Hey there!

I'm new around here (literally hours new) and have been looking around to see if posts would answer questions/concerns that i have about my LF gear and while i have found a couple of things out, i could use help with some other things.

So about a year ago I picked up a Graflex Speed Graphic with a 135mm Graflex Optar. I've messed around with black&white photography before (mostly 35mm and a little medium format here and there) and decided this was a good starter in terms of getting into large format photography.
I've taken quite alot of photos with this combo/lens and everything has turned out pretty ok but now i'm looking to upgrade. And I really only have a couple of questions.

1. Is the 'image circle coverage' of a lens super important even if i'm not considering using the tilt+shifts on my Speed Graphic and am just shooting straight on? I've looked at this chart (http://www.graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html)

and read on image circles a bit and while i've read that the image circle can affect sharpness in the corners, it seems to mainly be an issue when it comes to how sharp or how much tilt/shift you can away with in these corners. Is this accurate?

2. I'm also considering buying a new lens regardless (preferably a 152mm Ektar or a 150mm Apo Sironar N/S) because LF photography is something i enjoy and i'll eventually end up investing in a bigger monorail camera. But for now, will any of the lenses fit on my Speed Graphic lens board and allow it to close?

3. While the 152mm Ektar seems to be reasonably low priced, the Apo-Sironar N seems to be about 400 to 500 dollars on ebay (depending if it's an older version (MC) or a newer version.) Is this a fair price for this lens?

That is all haha. Sorry if i've asked too much or if my question are/sound stupid. Any help/pointing in the right direction is super appreciated.

Cheers,
-camerahead

Dan Fromm
24-Feb-2013, 14:45
1. If you're satisfied with the image quality y'r 135 Optar puts in the corners, no.

2. 152 Ektar, yes. 150 Apo Sironar, I'm not sure. Probably not, but I'm not sure.

3. Go to ebay.com, look for completed listings to see actual selling prices. Asking prices are sometimes very silly. Also go to www.keh.com, see what they're asking. Don't limit yourself to Rodenstock lenses, the equivalent Symmars (Symmar-S, Apo-Symmar) will do as well for you.

Bob Salomon
24-Feb-2013, 14:51
" While the 152mm Ektar seems to be reasonably low priced, the Apo-Sironar N seems to be about 400 to 500 dollars on ebay (depending if it's an older version (MC) or a newer version.) Is this a fair price for this lens?"

All Apo Sironar-N lenses were multi coated. The older Sironar-N were originally noy MC but then became MC later.

All Apo Sironar-N lenses as well as all Sironar-N lenses are no longer manufactured.

ic-racer
24-Feb-2013, 16:26
The best way to answer you question on coverage is to take a picture of a tree or building with your 135 optar and maximum front rise. Check out the negative and you will see the limits of the lens in terms of sharpness at the far corners on your camera.