PDA

View Full Version : My lens, c’est moi

Heroique
23-Feb-2013, 12:14
Just curious – when you’re exploring for a shot, do you “see the world like your lens”?

I’ve come across this phrase in many posts – always as a boast.

But let’s think about this – is it always a blessing, or can it also be a curse?

That is, has your lens (or lens kit) conditioned you to miss seeing the landscape in other ways, or does it only enrich and diversify how you see it? Is there an unavoidable conflict between seeking the shot vs. fully experiencing the landscape?

-----
BTW, I’m also curious if people “see the world like their viewing card,” for I’ve never heard anyone make that claim.

C. D. Keth
23-Feb-2013, 13:02
I think it can be a liability. The grand landscape photographer may ignore beauty on a smaller scale and somebody who likes to shoot the intimate may do the opposite. I try to make my work reactive to what I see. I try to shoot what I am given and be open to out of left field opportunities. How successful I am in doing this changes from day to day.

Alan Gales
23-Feb-2013, 13:27
I agree with Chris. When I see something that I am interested in photographing I let the subject determine which lens I want to use.

Gem Singer
23-Feb-2013, 14:10
The challenge is making my lens see the world the way I see it.

C. D. Keth
23-Feb-2013, 14:12
I just hope my lens sees the world the way I do.

Why hope? Hope implies chance. That's entirely up to your ability to communicate through moulding the film and the print to do what you want.

Gem Singer
23-Feb-2013, 14:19
Chris,

I realize that I chose the improper word. Notice that I immediately edited my post.

Please excuse the senior moment.

Alan Gales
23-Feb-2013, 14:24

The challenge is what makes it fun! :)

Vaughn
23-Feb-2013, 14:35
It is all one. I see light, then use the lens, filters, camera, film, developer, and the printing process to create some thing, call a print. How I see the light influences the end result, the end results influences how I see the light. All the steps and elements in between have their influence on the whole. This is how it should be...the lens is neither a help nor a hinderance. It is fully experiencing the light on the landscape (to the best of my ability/capability) that informs what image will be put onto the film, the lens choice, process choice and the final print (and how it is presented.) If the wind is blowing, the rain is coming down, or other influences that make it too difficult to photograph, I still experience the light as intensely as if I was going to photograph.

Jody_S
23-Feb-2013, 15:26
I'm forcing myself to do so, by bringing only 1 lens. Knowing I have only the 1 angle of view available to me forces me to look for compositions that can be rendered with the tools on hand. I still need to get a lot better at it, of course, because I tend to only 'see' compositions that can be done standing, at regular tripod height. So I guess I need to start bringing a blanket or a tarp along as well. Snow is cold and wet.

Brian C. Miller
23-Feb-2013, 16:03
“see the world like your lens”

I'M BLIND! I'M BLIND! AAIIIIIIGH!!

Oh, thanks for taking the cap off. I feel better now.

(zoom lens) Near ... far ... near ... far ... near ... far ... near ... far ... near ...
(Petzval) Squooshies! Swirlies! Wheeeeee!
(Soft-focus) Dahhhling! You look maaahhhvelous! Absolutely maaahhhvelous!
(Fish-eye) Like, wow, there are, like, you know, no straight lines, like, OK?
(Pinhole) I am the manifestation of the equality of the proletariat! The exploitation by the upper glass is over!
(Rectilinear) Yes, that line is straight. And it's where it should be. (adjusts little bow tie)

Jan Pedersen
23-Feb-2013, 16:58

It is just not possible, the lens will always see it upside down. :)

Heroique
23-Feb-2013, 19:23
When I see something that I am interested in photographing I let the subject determine which lens I want to use.

This is partly what inspired the thread. ;^)

If you’re talking about the lens you happen to have in your bag, then aren’t you seeing the world like your lens after all?

Or if you’re talking about a lens you don’t have, then it sounds to me (if I understand you) like your rich experience of the landscape might be costing you some shots. A curse or a blessing, depending on “how you look at it.” It’s very often a blessing for me.

Alan Gales
23-Feb-2013, 20:21
I didn't say that I let the subject determine which lens I should use. I said which lens I want to use. :)

Right or wrong, I only carry 2 or 3 lenses at the most. I physically move to compensate for what I don't have in focal length. I feel this frees me up to concentrate on the subject and not worry about a "perfect" focal length. I usually prefer a normal to long lens for landscape. I use short or wide angle lenses for getting in close. It's the way I see and it seems to work for me.

Interesting thread by the way.

Doremus Scudder
24-Feb-2013, 04:04
I don't think that images come pre-packaged in set angles of view any more than I think that they come in certain aspect ratios. I use a viewing frame to initially frame and crop images, letting the subject itself and the inherent expression and balance in the implied composition, plus my impetus to communicate a certain thing, to arrange, compose and frame.

I then choose a lens from my kit that allows me to get all that in the frame. Sometimes it is frustrating when I've composed an image that is perfect for, say, a 189mm lens and all I have is a 200mm and a 135mm with me. In that case I just have to live with cropping a bit more than I like or, possibly, if the subject is forgiving enough and I'm creative enough, I might be able to re-visualize the whole scene and make it work with the longer lens. Or I can come back later with my 180mm.

Bottom line, the world is a continuum; Rarely does a scene squeeze neatly in the 4x5 aspect ratio and fit the focal length of one of the lenses I happen to be carrying at the time. Ideal would be a 47mm-600mm f/5.6 zoom lens that weighed less than 8 ounces and was mounted in a Copal 0 shutter. Until that comes along, I'll just keep cropping. I have no compunction about cropping to get the composition and framing I want.

Best,

Doremus

John Kasaian
27-Feb-2013, 21:24
When I see a subject, I'll think "close" or "far" then "wide" "normal" or "long."

goamules
1-Mar-2013, 12:10

(zoom lens) Near ... far ... near ... far ... near ... far ... near ... far ... near ...
(Pinhole) I am the manifestation of the equality of the proletariat! The exploitation by the upper glass is over!
(Rectilinear) Yes, that line is straight. And it's where it should be. (adjusts little bow tie)

Too funny! I'll add:

(Protar V) "Can someone turn on the lights in here? So...dark....in here.....what? They're on?"

Andrew O'Neill
1-Mar-2013, 13:04
Laughing!

billie williams
1-Mar-2013, 13:36
hahaha! very good.
:)