PDA

View Full Version : Velosto shutter repair - some help needed

IanG
22-Feb-2013, 11:54
I bought a very nice Kodak Anastigmat 170mm f6.3 in a Velosto, the shutter was gummed up, that's now sorted but does anyone have experience of repairing these shutters, I need to open it up to re-establish the slow speed linkage.

Ian

Steven Tribe
23-Feb-2013, 03:46
I thought the name was a joke - but it really existed!

Could this be a simplified (made for Kodak) version of the Voluto (spelling?).

IanG
23-Feb-2013, 04:50
No it's quite different to a Volute shutter.

The Velosto has a sort of piston action to control the slow speeds, works in a vacuum principle and this part is not engaging, I'm wondering how the top plate comes off.

Ian

IanG
25-Feb-2013, 05:15
I thought the name was a joke - but it really existed!

Could this be a simplified (made for Kodak) version of the Voluto (spelling?).

The current thread on cleaning a Volute shows it's very different however the link to the Butkus website is usefull as there's two PDFs of these old shutters and my Velosto is very similar to the Optimo, especially the retarding pump which is the piece not engaged on my shutter.

Ian

IanG
25-Feb-2013, 12:42
Final update a Velosto shutter seems to be as near as dammit the same a Wollensac Optimo.

Following the Optimo 1917 service guide I opened up the Velosto and re-attached the retarding piston, I now have slow shutter speeds - the lack of them was why the lens/shutter was very cheap (£10/$15.50) :D

Still needs slight tweaking with regards to lubrication but now fully functional and should be a great lens - 170mm f6.3 Kodak Anastigmat.

Ian