PDA

View Full Version : Carl Zeiss Jena - 135/6.3

tinybynature
20-Feb-2013, 12:09
Hello Everyone :)

I am new here and have just recently purchased a barrel lens, that I could use a little more information about.

I have been told, that when the aperture is missing, there is a good chance the cemented doublet is also missing. Can anyone verify this, from the images?

I will be receiving the lens in about 2 weeks and was also wondering, if there is an easy way to tell if it is a complete lens unit, without taking it all apart?

Any other information about this lens, would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading through this document http://www.arnecroell.com/czj.pdf (very interesting history of Carl Zeiss Jena) and I see this lens posted as having a barrel lens production run of 811. Looks like the serial numbers indicate a production date of between 1957 - 1960.

I have noticed that there is very little information online about this lens, so it must be a little uncommon?

Thanks for all the help and I look forward to all the interesting feedback!! :)

Bill Burk
20-Feb-2013, 13:33
Looks like it's designed to be used on an optical bench. Pretty cool.

E. von Hoegh
20-Feb-2013, 13:41
If it's complete, it should be possible to slit the barrel for waterhouse stops. If this is like the F6.3 Tessars I've had or used, it's a very good lens. It should just cover 4x5, the corners may be soft until you stop it down.

tinybynature
20-Feb-2013, 14:17
Looks like it's designed to be used on an optical bench. Pretty cool.

I thought it was different :)

It will be here in about two weeks, but in the meantime I am dying to know if it is complete, with all elements in tact??

There is no aperture, but not a big deal, as I can use it wide open. I am just concerned now, after what I have been reading, that the rear element (cemented doublet) is missing.

danfromm told me that if it is missing elements, it will not produce an image when looked through. I guess we will see :)

Sevo
20-Feb-2013, 14:38
I thought it was different :)

It will be here in about two weeks, but in the meantime I am dying to know if it is complete, with all elements in tact??

Looks like it - I can see five reflections, so it can be nothing less than a Triplet. The sixth missing reflection must exist (lens/air surfaces only occur in even numbers) but will be hidden by the barrel, and I don't expect the two more faint ones that close inspection would reveal on a Tessar to be visible in a photograph against a bright background.

tinybynature
20-Feb-2013, 14:57
Looks like it - I can see five reflections, so it can be nothing less than a Triplet. The sixth missing reflection must exist (lens/air surfaces only occur in even numbers) but will be hidden by the barrel, and I don't expect the two more faint ones that close inspection would reveal on a Tessar to be visible in a photograph against a bright background.

I have inserted one of the photos below and have circled what I see as 4 reflections. (if that is even what you are talking about, as I have never heard of this before). Where do you see a 5th?

Thanks for this info :)

I just found this. It explains refection differences between a triplet and a Tessar. Very interesting!! I am glad I joined this forum :)
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/tessar.pdf

Sevo
20-Feb-2013, 15:03
Look at the third, diagonal, image, and count the reflections of the bulb rather than the lamp shade.

tinybynature
20-Feb-2013, 15:17
Look at the third, diagonal, image, and count the reflections of the bulb rather than the lamp shade.

I see it :) Thank you.

A definite 4 reflections towards the center, with a 5th to the upper right of the element :) That 5th, looks like it could in fact be two bulb reflections, very close together??

That gives me hope, of a complete lens.

tinybynature
20-Feb-2013, 16:23
Would anyone know per chance, what the Register Length, of this lens would be?

Dan Fromm
20-Feb-2013, 17:56
For heavens sakes. It is a 135 mm Tessar in a who-knows-what mount. The lens rear node-to-film plane distance at infinity is by definition 135 mm. The rear node is fairly close to the barrel's midpoint. 120 mm or so from the back of the mount is a good conservative (= probably too short) guess.

tinybynature
20-Feb-2013, 18:42
For heavens sakes. It is a 135 mm Tessar in a who-knows-what mount. The lens rear node-to-film plane distance at infinity is by definition 135 mm. The rear node is fairly close to the barrel's midpoint. 120 mm or so from the back of the mount is a good conservative (= probably too short) guess.

Thanks Dan!

tinybynature
18-Mar-2013, 11:34
Does anyone know what the exact thread mount, this lens has? I measure it, to be close to 25mm, but want to be sure before ordering an adapter.

Thanks for all the help.