PDA

View Full Version : Lens Valuation sought

Brooklyn45
20-Feb-2013, 07:16
Hi fellas.. seeking a valuation on a lens..
I have a Zeiss Tessar 135mm f4.5 in a modified Compur Shutter (cable release has been replaced with flash synchro)
Also a set of Zeiss Tessar 150mm f4.5 lens elements that fit the same shutter.

What sort of price should I ask for this set.. Is it worth it putting on Fleabay.. ??

(I would be keeping the lens board..)

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
20-Feb-2013, 08:11
There should be lots of them on EBay completed auctions (not unsold buy-it-now) to give you an idea of price, but it isn't worth very much. I would imagine less than $50, especially since it is not in the original shutter. Simply put, an uncoated 4x5 Tessar is currently not a very desirable lens.

Brooklyn45
20-Feb-2013, 08:48
It is the original shutter..

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
20-Feb-2013, 09:23
It is the original shutter..

I have never seen a Kodak branded Zeiss before. I guess it could have come off a Kodak folder, but usually Kodak used their own glass.

Jody_S
20-Feb-2013, 09:45
$25-40. People (like me) buy these off Fleabay for the shutter when we have something interesting that requires a #1 shutter. Most recently a 240/9 G-Claron (not a direct fit, spacing was wrong).

E. von Hoegh
20-Feb-2013, 10:32
I have never seen a Kodak branded Zeiss before. I guess it could have come off a Kodak folder, but usually Kodak used their own glass.

Probably a German Kodak. I had one with a Kodak branded Compur fitted with a Zeiss Tessar.

Brooklyn45
20-Feb-2013, 10:40
I originally bought this lens upstate New York fairly near Rochester.. Home of Kodak ?? maybe that is why it is in a K brand shutter..
I guess I will put it on the Flea for 35 plus shipping and see if I get any bites..

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
20-Feb-2013, 11:47
Probably a German Kodak...

Ah yes, that would make sense.

Photomagica
21-Feb-2013, 19:56
I used a 150mm uncoated Tessar in an old dial Compur shutter for awhile before I could afford a "good" modern normal lens for 4x5. Interesting thing is that I could not easily tell the Tessar frames from the modern ones without checking my shooting notes. Try the Tessar and you may be pleasantly surprised. While the Tessars won't provide the movements of a Symmar type lens, they can do a good job.

Brooklyn45
22-Feb-2013, 07:03
I have used both of these combo's quite a bit. But theres a certain look they have which I am done with. I just bought a Rodenstock/Caltar N - 135 MC so I figured I would get these older lenses into someone elses hands..

IanG
22-Feb-2013, 07:29

Kodak used Tessar lenses on Nagel cameras like the Recomar although initially Nagel used Schneider lenses - I'd guess there was some friction with Zeiss as Nagel had joined Zeiss Ikon then left to found another new company.

These are quite nice lenses I'd pay $50 for the set, quite happily as I've cameras to fit them to.

Ian

Brooklyn45
23-Feb-2013, 06:56
Well I already listed them on fleaby.. and someone put in a bid so I can't pull the listing. But it's starting at only 30 bucks if you want them..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170993831332?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649