PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Apo-Symmar 120 mm lens-lens board mounting problem

L. Klapstock
9-May-2004, 02:57
Hello. I'm brand new to large format. I have a Toyo 45A and a Schneider Apo-Symmar 5.6/120 lens. I just mounted the lens to my 0 copal lens board and I noticed it doesn't sit flat. On closer inspection of the lens there's a screw that protrudes, preventing the lens from sitting flat in the lens board. It's therefore wobbly in the lens board. Can anyone tell me if this is part of the design of the lens. I bought the lens brand new. Here's where the screw is: I unscrew and remove the back lens element, then I remove the ring. Beneath where the ring was, on the bottom of the front lens element, there are 3 silver screws, sunk flush, and the protruding grey screw which sticks out about 1 mm. Thanks a lot.

Huib
9-May-2004, 05:09
Remove the screw, it's not needed.

Sometimes the ring can't be fastened enough to prevent the lens/shutter from turning when you touch the shutter to set speed,diafragma or cocking it. A few lensboards have spare room for the screw, the screw than just prevents the shutter from turning.

Huib

http://www.huibsmeets.com

Leonard Evens
9-May-2004, 06:34
The advice to remove the screw is correct. Some lens boards have a notch for the screw to hold the lens in place, but most don't. But save the screw since you may some day want to put the lens in a lens board with such a notch, where the lens might move without it. The screw is pretty tiny, so you will need a small screwdriver---obtainable in sets at any good hardware store---to remove it. Store it some way that you won't lose it.

Ernest Purdum
9-May-2004, 08:39
It isn't very hard to file out the notch needed to accommodate the little screw. Cheap sets of needle files are available from many sources now.

fher5566
2-Nov-2011, 13:32
Hello. I'm brand new to large format. I have a Toyo 45A and a Schneider Apo-Symmar 5.6/120 lens. I just mounted the lens to my 0 copal lens board and I noticed it doesn't sit flat. On closer inspection of the lens there's a screw that protrudes, preventing the lens from sitting flat in the lens board. It's therefore wobbly in the lens board. Can anyone tell me if this is part of the design of the lens. I bought the lens brand new. Here's where the screw is: I unscrew and remove the back lens element, then I remove the ring. Beneath where the ring was, on the bottom of the front lens element, there are 3 silver screws, sunk flush, and the protruding grey screw which sticks out about 1 mm. Thanks a lot.
Hi,like you I'm also new to large format photography,my question is how much did you pay for your lens?Somebody is trying to sale my the same lens as yours but he doesn't now what the right price will be,I'll been looking on line but I can only find the L version of this lens.Thanks.

Leigh
2-Nov-2011, 14:27
That's an anti-rotation screw.

Its purpose is to prevent the shutter from rotating and coming loose. I've had that happen on shutters that were mounted without the screw.

Take a hacksaw blade or a file and make a small cut at 12 o'clock on the perimeter of the mounting hole. It only needs to be 1/16th of an inch deep.

I always use those screws on lenses that I mount, and have never had a problem.

- Leigh