PDA

View Full Version : New Canadian Distributor for FLM

Ari
17-Feb-2013, 13:18
Hello everybody,

Before I start, I'd like to let you know that this post has been approved by one of the mods; I asked first. :)

You may have read my previous post about product sponsorship here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99792-Product-Sponsorship-What-Is-the-Standard).

The company in question was/is FLM in Germany; they make ball heads, tripods and related accessories.
I had approached them for a sponsorship agreement, based on my liking their ball head so much, and they were quite enthusiastic.
The more we talked (emails), the more we hashed out other avenues of promotional work.
I was unaware during the first few emails that I had been talking to the founder/president of the company the whole time.

Long story short, as of tomorrow, I will be the Canadian distributor of FLM products, and the liaison in North America for support and promotion.

As I said, I checked with the mods first about posting this; I don't want to appear partial, or even that I'm pushing FLM; my job, like that of Bob Salomon or Hugo Zhang, is to offer solutions to problems based on what equipment I know best.

Up until now, anything I wrote regarding FLM has been from the point of view of a consumer; I offer comments like that because I'm a working photographer, and I need good gear, too. :)
But I will strive to keep the buyer and promoter halves distinct and separate.

So I will (quietly) keep you up-to-date regarding products and where you can find more information on them, as well as when I'm up and running (about two weeks).
A website will be ready this week, and I offer sales and support to anyone interested within the next two weeks or so.

And of course, if you need any specific information about FLM's line-up of tripods, ball heads and QR systems, just ask me.
My new work-related email is ari @ flmcanada . com (spacing is for the spammers).

Thanks!

ps - full disclosure: I bought the new (to me) 48FT ball head at full price, and was very impressed with it, before I began speaking to the company.
My job came about because I regarded their products so highly, and feel that more people should know about them.
Thanks

pps - I've never done anything like this before; if anyone has some good, practical advice, please shoot me an email at the address above.
Thank you.

gleaf
17-Feb-2013, 13:21
Awesome. Glad to hear your initiative has been rewarded.

Ari
17-Feb-2013, 13:34
Awesome. Glad to hear your initiative has been rewarded.

Thank you, gleaf; I couldn't be happier.
But setting it all up at the beginning will take precious time away from...the precious :)

cowanw
17-Feb-2013, 14:04
I was unhappy with my camera support when long lens and 8x10 were combined.
I tried a CB-58 FTR and found that it holds my 8x10 convertable Wisner ( a very heavy model) at long (not necessarily balanced) extensions like a rock.
Very highly recommended. I am sure Ari will do a great job.

Ari
17-Feb-2013, 14:17
Thank you, Bill; it was your recommendation to try an FLM head that got me here :)

Scott Walker
17-Feb-2013, 15:57
Very cool Ari. Hope you do well with it.

Ari
17-Feb-2013, 16:06
Thank you, Scott.

B.S.Kumar
17-Feb-2013, 20:19
Hey Ari, glad to see this happening. I'm sure you'll do a good job.

Kumar

Ari
17-Feb-2013, 20:24
Thank you very much, Kumar; I'm pretty excited, except for the part about having less time to shoot over the next two months.
At least this happened in winter. :)

lbenac
17-Feb-2013, 20:49
Good luck Ari it should be fun.
Once you are settled I will fire a few questions on their line-up, the 38 series could be something I would be looking at.
And hopefully the company does not do like others and price the product for Canada 20% higher than for the USA so they leave you some room for profit.

Cheers,

Luc

Ari
17-Feb-2013, 21:21
Thank you, Luc.

Their products are priced quite affordably, and a stated goal is to keep prices low and stable.
When one considers some of the features available in the ball heads, for example, it's quite competitive.

And yes, by all means, contact me anytime.

Peter De Smidt
17-Feb-2013, 21:26
That's great! I hope that it works out very well for you.

Ari
17-Feb-2013, 21:27
Thank you, Peter!

Leszek Vogt
18-Feb-2013, 01:50
Congrats Ari. It may have been because someone mentioned FLM here....so I was looking at the whole array just 2 days ago....and sort of put a book mark on the 43FT.
I use Manfrotto gear model, but this would be strictly for my FF. Good luck.

Les

Ari
18-Feb-2013, 06:47
Thank you very much, Leszek; the 43FT is a really nice ball head. :)

Fred L
18-Feb-2013, 07:25
Great news Ari but make sure they leave you with time to expose film ;)

btw, does FLM make carbon tripods as well or just heads ?

Fred

Ari
18-Feb-2013, 07:36
Thanks, Fred.
FLM makes CF tripods, ball heads, leveling bases, panoramic heads, and QR clamps & plates for photographic and metrological applications.
I will be dealing mostly with the photo side of things.

And yes, I will be very busy at the beginning, so I'll have less time to shoot; hopefully things will settle down by early May.

John Kasaian
18-Feb-2013, 09:17
Very cool!:cool:
Good luck on your endeavor

Ari
18-Feb-2013, 09:29
Thank you, John; I look forward to it.

Peter De Smidt
18-Feb-2013, 09:33
Ari, can you sell to customers in the USA?

Ari
18-Feb-2013, 11:37
Ari, can you sell to customers in the USA?

Hi Peter,

My focus is on getting FLM in the stores, but I can sell to private customers a little.
My own prices will be about the same as the stores, but you get fantastic customer service :)
As of now, I don't have any stock, so if you're in a hurry, check out some online sellers like SpeedGraphic (UK) and B&H or Adorama.

If you're checking US prices, B&H carries some of our gear; Adorama has a better selection, but higher prices.
You'll also get free shipping from B&H, I'm not sure about Adorama.

If you need help with anything in particular, just email me at the address in the first post.

Thanks!

Ari
21-Feb-2013, 13:29
Hi everyone,

Just a notice that I will be officially up and running on Monday, February 25th.
I have been frantically setting up everything required to function as a distributor, and I'm just about ready to start.

To better answer a previous question, I will have a small stock of ball heads for sale from the FLM Canada website (http://www.flmcanada.com), contact me at the email on the website if you are interested.
Please do not PM me here regarding FLM.

I can offer discounts to Canadian & US forum members for a brief period, and product support is year-round. :)

Thanks

ps - Mods, please let me know if I am flirting with a rule violation here, this is new territory for me. Thanks.

cowanw
21-Feb-2013, 15:50
Very nice site.

Ari
21-Feb-2013, 16:40
Thank you, Bill.

Ari
25-Feb-2013, 11:14
Just a note to let everyone know I am up and running now.
The website has been updated, more updates to follow as stock arrives, and as photos are taken.
I have also uploaded a video showing how the FT ball heads work, I hope it shows everything clearly.
http://www.flmcanada.com/videos.html

Please let me know if anything on the website is unclear, hard to read or see, etc etc.

Thank you.

Ari
7-Mar-2013, 11:26
Further updates to the FLM Canada website include better and larger photos of tripods, ball heads and leveling heads.
I hope the viewer gets a good feel for the quality of workmanship from these photos.

As it stands now, no one in North America is selling our tripods, with the exception of Adorama, who have one listed on their website.
So contact me if you would like more information on our line-up of tripods, since there is very little at present for the US and Canada.

And please let me know if there are any problems with the website.

Thanks

cowanw
22-May-2013, 10:17
I bought a p30 s3s tripod and a 43f head. for my wife's birthday, anniversary and Mother's day. (When you get older that's the sort of thing you do)
It's a great piece of travel kit. She was happy and I am happy if she is happy. We will try it out on our required Alaska retirement cruise.

Ari
25-May-2013, 18:35
Thanks, Bill; I'm very happy that you like the tripod/ball head so much.

Ari
5-Jun-2013, 13:57
A further update, I have now included a video (http://youtu.be/h2z-0Ps008Y) showing our ball heads with LF gear in order to demonstrate how quick and easy it is to level a view camera with one of our ball heads.

Music courtesy of Dweezil Zappa. :)

Thanks

bob carnie
5-Jun-2013, 14:05
I saw this equipment over the weekend, very impressive Ari.

Ari
5-Jun-2013, 14:08
Thanks, Bob, and it was a real pleasure meeting you; I only wish there had been more time to schmooze.

bob carnie
5-Jun-2013, 14:18
Next time you are in town, or I will come to Ottawa as discussed.

Thanks, Bob, and it was a real pleasure meeting you; I only wish there had been more time to schmooze.

Ari
5-Jun-2013, 14:48
Next time you are in town, or I will come to Ottawa as discussed.

With pleasure.

andreios
6-Jun-2013, 00:21
A bit OT - last week I grabbed a FLM head in a clearance sale in a small shop in Germany - it is a CB-38FQR - which I think is an early production version of the 38FTR - with separate tilt control. I haven't had much time to use it yet, but at the first sight and touch it is to me a marvel of German engineering and I am looking forward to using it with my hopefully soon-to-arrive 8x10.

Ari
7-Jun-2013, 06:40
Andreios, let us know how that ball head works for you; I'm unfamiliar with it, as it was a little before my time, but the specs should be similar to the new ball heads (around 20kg load support).

I just got an inquiry from a fellow in Toronto about using the CB-58FTR (our largest ball head) with his 20x24 Chamonix, and I'm excited to see how that goes as well.

Otto Seaman
7-Jun-2013, 08:09
One important thing your website is lacking is "How to Buy" an FLM product.

Even a static, alphabetical list of your dealers would suffice and it would be helpful to them and your potential customers.

Frankly I'd put this at the top of the menu items....

Ari
7-Jun-2013, 08:19
One important thing your website is lacking is "How to Buy" an FLM product.

Even a static, alphabetical list of your dealers would suffice and it would be helpful to them and your potential customers.

Frankly I'd put this at the top of the menu items....

Getting on it today, the list I provide is in "News & Events" which isn't clear enough.
Thanks, Otto.

Ari
7-Jun-2013, 08:46
And done; thanks again.

Otto Seaman
7-Jun-2013, 08:48
Photographers' love responsive companies ;-) good luck!

Ari
7-Jun-2013, 08:50
Thank you, Otto.

Ari
15-Jun-2013, 17:43
There is a new video featuring FLM tripods:

http://youtu.be/H0R6lZwVQxE

Thanks, and enjoy!

Ari
1-Jul-2013, 10:28
Just got a bump from Mr Rockwell :)

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

I'm not sure about being mentioned in the same article as a $6 tripod, but, hey, there's no such thing as bad press :)

Thanks

Ari
31-Jul-2013, 19:43
Attention, those of you on the Left Coast: Lens and Shutter in British Columbia is now stocking FLM tripods, monopods, ball heads, leveling heads and QR systems.

They are a good outfit with five locations in Vancouver and lower BC; they still stock a decent selection of darkroom stuff, btw, but no film.

If you are in the US, take advantage of the exchange rate and faster shipping to the West.

Details are on the FLM website, under 'Where To Buy'.

Thank you.

Ari
15-Sep-2013, 10:49
A new review on FLM tripods, ball heads and QR sets by none other than our own Frank P.

http://www.flmcanada.com/reviews--links.html

Thank you.