PDA

View Full Version : Compur 3 Issue

tgtaylor
17-Feb-2013, 10:46
About 2 years back I bought a 360mm Schneider Symmer-S lens mounted in a Compur 3 shutter in mint-like condition. The lens serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 1984 and the shutter is the all black version and all shutter speeds appear to be true. The lens takes beautiful exposures and I really like the perspective it gives on an 8x10 camera. Here's the issue:

When using thre "B" setting for exposure longer than 1 second with a cable release, pushing the plunger in will open the shutter andf it stays open but upon releasing the cable lock
the shutter doesn't close but remains open until you manually cllose it with the lever on the lens. Is this normal for the Comput shutter? Since this is the only Compur shutter I own or have ever used, I have nothing to compare it with.

If needing repair, what would be a reasonable repair charge for fixing this so that the shutter both opens and closes with the cable release?

(Incidentially, while out photographing the other night I stumbled upon the trick of placing the uncocked shutter at the given aperature setting and at a speed location and then starting the exposure by depresssing the shutter open lever and ending the exposure by depresing the plunger on the cable release. This worked out far better than fumbling in the dark for the lever while the shutter is open.)

Thomas

BrianShaw
17-Feb-2013, 11:32
Let me try again. No, that is not normal behavior for B. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that a shutter overhaul would resolve that (and any other) issues. Cost seems to vary greatly, from $65 to $130.

tgtaylor
17-Feb-2013, 11:33
I think that you missed it Brian. I have my cable releases set where it stays depressed until I release the cable's locking mechanism and then plunger retracts. When using on a lens set to any particular speed, the fact that the plunger doesn't retract until I release it has no bearing on the shutter: The blades open and close according to the speed selected. In bulb setting on all my copals, the shutter blades remain open until I release the cable lock and the plunger retracts. Then the shutter blades close. It seems to me that the Compur should function in the same way on bulb setting.

If that is the only problem with the shutter, why would the shutter need to be "overhauled?" That like overhauling the engine when all you need is to replace the air filter.

Thomas

BrianShaw
17-Feb-2013, 11:33
Yes, Thomas... I totally missed it. :o B should operate as B on all shutters.

BrianShaw
17-Feb-2013, 11:35
"Overhaul" = same thing as CLA (clean, lubricate, and adjust). A 1980's era shutter most likely could benefit from that. I just don't use the term "CLA" because it has gotten very trendy and many don't seem to know what that means.

tgtaylor
17-Feb-2013, 11:53
OK, thanks Brian:) I had emailed a camera repairman who replied back that he thought it needed repair and said it would cost $80. That night I went out to shoot this scene (absolutely perfect conditions prevailed) and discovered the above-mentioned trick which prevented introducing camera shake upon closing the shutter. Now it's a question of the $80 :confused:

Thomas

BrianShaw
17-Feb-2013, 11:58
If you really want to save some money, which I really do not recommend, you could always open the shutter up and put a very small smear of high-quality grease on the T and B levers. That may get things working again... but that is like changing your car's air filter but never changing the oil.

I may have been wrong about the $65. That was the "good old days". I think the low-end is now about $80 as you found out.

Doremus Scudder
18-Feb-2013, 07:50
... Now it's a question of the $80 :confused: Thomas

Bite the bullet, spend the $80 and get your shutter cleaned, lubricated and adjusted. Then it will work correctly and you'll have peace of mind.

BTW, have you tested the bulb setting using the built-in shutter release lever and without having your cable release attached? I'm just thinking it might possibly be a cable release issue and not a shutter problem. If it acts up without the cable release, then definitely send it in.

Best,

Doremus

E. von Hoegh
19-Feb-2013, 16:24
Bite the bullet, spend the $80 and get your shutter cleaned, lubricated and adjusted. Then it will work correctly and you'll have peace of mind.
BTW, have you tested the bulb setting using the built-in shutter release lever and without having your cable release attached? I'm just thinking it might possibly be a cable release issue and not a shutter problem. If it acts up without the cable release, then definitely send it in.

Best,

Doremus

Agreed. 1984 > 2013 is 29 years, it's due for a cleaning.