PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Shutter Use

jocl123
17-Feb-2013, 01:49
May this is a stupid question but can I use the Sinar shutter not in front of the camera but in the middle on a spare standard so I can use old lenses with long rear lens element ?

Do you know what I mean ?

jocl123
17-Feb-2013, 01:54
Like this.
I mean if it is working in use. Do I loose light ?

Leigh
17-Feb-2013, 02:14
You can put the shutter on a separate standard.

You want to move the shutter as close to the rear of the lens as possible to avoid vignetting.

The whole process might be easier using a bag bellows rather than an accordion type.

- Leigh

Daniel Stone
17-Feb-2013, 02:29
I used one of your pictures to make you(and anyone else who prefers pictures ;)) a diagram:

hope it's clear enough

cheers,
Dan

Leigh
17-Feb-2013, 02:33
Just move the middle standard forward.

- Leigh

Daniel Stone
17-Feb-2013, 02:42
Just move the middle standard forward.

- Leigh

that works, unless he's out of rear bellows extension. Just best to mount the shutter to the front standard, or as close as possible(like you already stated).
Case in point:
A jewelery photographer I asssisted a few times a couple years back when I first got started assisting used a Sinar 4x5(and 8x10 in years past) for doing CLOSE-ups(like 10:1 on 8x10) of diamonds, rings, pendants, etc... EXPEN$$$IVE stuff(like usually in the $10k and up mark)... At times he used approx 6-8 FEET of bellows extension, with multiple 8x10 standards mounted on a special rig he had made up w/ custom 8x10-->8x10 bellows made(to not vignette). Focusing WAS a b****, simply due to light fall-off, that's what BRIGHT 1k/2k mole's were for, simply for FOCUSING and composition on the g/g. Nutty...

But the end results were spectacular, usually around 15-30 strobe pops later(again, due to bellows extension, etc..).
He used a 180 Macro Sironar IIRC, and a 210 Macro Sironar, along with some older APO Nikkor's, with the Sinar shutter on the process lenses.

He's now all digital(reluctantly), but those 6-8ft of bellows are now long gone in favor of a Sinar MFDB setup(again with a view camera and movements, multi-shot stuff)

-Dan

Leigh
17-Feb-2013, 05:32
No amount of wishing or hoping will change the laws of physics or optics.

You have to use some combination of equipment that will do the job. No exceptions.

- Leigh

Sevo
17-Feb-2013, 06:26
I used one of your pictures to make you(and anyone else who prefers pictures ;)) a diagram:

hope it's clear enough

That does not even account for the shutter, whose diameter is less than half that of a bellows frame - the next line pair would presumably still vignette as well...

cowanw
17-Feb-2013, 08:18
You may look through the corners of your Ground Glass, to assess how far back you can move the shutter from the front standard.