PDA

View Full Version : Bayer commercial on TV

David G. Gagnon
7-May-2004, 21:16
Earlier this evening during the NBC National News a commercial for Bayer Aspirin aired showing what a man using what appeared to be a Deardorff V8. Did anyone else catch it too? They showed a quick close-up of the front standard. It thrills me to see this kind of (pardon the pun) exposure of these pieces of fine equipment we as LF photographers hold so dear.

Comments?

DG

Brian Vuillemenot
7-May-2004, 21:30
Yes, I saw it too. What struck me was that they showed young people, and then showed an older guy with his Deardorff, as though this type of camera is only for old farts. Just my 2 cents.

Capocheny
7-May-2004, 23:44
The "old" guy... wasn't he just leaning on the camera? :>)

David R Munson
8-May-2004, 01:46
The "old" guy... wasn't he just leaning on the camera? :>)

Well, with film being dead and all, isn't that al they're good for any more?

[/facetious]

Jorge Gasteazoro
8-May-2004, 02:19
Are you all assuming he was a photographer? most likely he was an antiques dealer...:-)

Andre Noble
8-May-2004, 04:42
Are you all assuming it was a man? Most likely it was Tom Brokaw.

David A. Goldfarb
8-May-2004, 05:13
Ansel said he generally used the biggest camera he could carry, and as he got older, that was a Hasselblad. Clearly he should have taken a couple of aspirin a gotten over it!

Ed Burlew
8-May-2004, 06:51
I remember the chevrolet commercial about a year ago that featured a ruggedly hansome man and his 8x10 field camera getting fabulous landscpaes because the Tahoe could take him there.

David G. Gagnon
8-May-2004, 06:57
"I remember the chevrolet commercial about a year ago that featured a ruggedly hansome man and his 8x10 field camera getting fabulous landscpaes because the Tahoe could take him there."

Clearly false advertising. Everyone knows a Chevy can't do THAT! ;-)

DG

J.L. Kennedy
8-May-2004, 13:15
"What struck me was that they showed young people, and then showed an older guy with his Deardorff, as though this type of camera is only for old farts."

Judging from the attendance at the recent View Camera Photography Conference this type of camera really is only for old farts! But I can't complain, because I'll soon be there, too!

Capocheny
8-May-2004, 13:39
David,

Little did they suspect... "his girlfriend was carrying a digital system in her handbag!"

Cheers

Mark_3632
8-May-2004, 14:20
Wasn't there a commercial a couple of years ago that had a guy walking in a field looking at an exposure meter, his wife was carrying the 8x10 on a tripod over her shoulder?

Rolf Katzenstein
8-May-2004, 15:27
What's a Deardorff?

David G. Gagnon
8-May-2004, 15:51
"Wasn't there a commercial a couple of years ago that had a guy walking in a field looking at an exposure meter, his wife was carrying the 8x10 on a tripod over her shoulder?"

Only in my dreams!

DG

Mike H.
8-May-2004, 18:19
The guy with the camera was the father of the narrator. And he was using a slight amount of front tilt. I can't wait to see it again and get some more details. Some would say I need to get a life ... :-)

Diane Maher
8-May-2004, 18:35
There's a Cheetos commercial on the air now - I think it's on Cartoon Network - and at the end, the Cheetos cheetah (or whatever he is) takes a picture with what looks like an 8x10 Deardorff.

Jim Galli
8-May-2004, 22:52
Smart! VERY SMART! Anyone that uses a Deardorff probably needs Aspirin.

Brian Ellis
9-May-2004, 08:04
Did you see the commercial for Gold's Gym, where the guys are shown tossing their bar bells in the trash and bench pressing Deardorffs instead? People who carry Deardorffs don't need an aspirin, they need steroids.

jantman
9-May-2004, 14:30
"Judging from the attendance at the recent View Camera Photography Conference this type of camera really is only for old farts! But I can't complain, because I'll soon be there, too!"

There's a reason for this. I'm in high school, and very much wanted to go. Steve Simmons even offered to waive the conference fees. But between airfare and hotel expenses, it just didn't work out.

John Kasaian
10-May-2004, 15:03
Wasn't there a Marvel comic book series published in the 50's with the title "The Legion of the 'dorffed?"