PDA

View Full Version : Winter Photography east of Malaga in January & February

Steven Tribe
16-Feb-2013, 16:06
Just back from second Winter break in this region, I thought I might sum up experiences. This is mostly for LF photographers north of the Alps who could combine an escape from the (deterioating?) winter climate with some photographic opportunities!

Weather (based on a total of 3 weeks in 2012 and 2023).

Low night temperatures around 10 (all Centigrade/Celius). Daytime maximum has reached over 20 most days.
Rain - just a single day out of 21 days. 3 windy days out of 21.
Many days without a cloud in the sky (unfortunately).

Places to stay

As car hire is exceptionally cheap in Spain during the winter period and the traffic is quiet, I would suggest staying at a single place and making trips from there.
We rented a single bedroomed apartment in Nerja for around 400€ for 2 weeks. There are a great number of unused 2nd homes in Nerja and other smaller towns in the area and the letting market is quite enormous. Supply is much greater than demand.

I would recommend Nerja as a base - about 45 minutes from Malaga airport. It is a compromise between maintaining the old style, as well as providing low rise "modified" andalusian "village" developments.

Car Hire and getting around

Is exceptional cheap. I paid £100 for a two week period (budget FIAT). They appear just to cover their fixed costs in the off-season.
Parking anywhere, even 100 meters from the PIcasso museum in central Malaga, is no problem at this kind of the year. Big rebates to EU citizens who are over 65!

Photographic suppliers

There are none. There is a resident photographer in Fragiliani who has a small Gallery (some good stuff), gets his prints (from digital) made in Nerja. Not sure if they have a scanner there too.

"Photo Opportunities"

No fishing harbours here. Granada (Alhambra). Plenty of valleys leading inland. Every dirt road has settlements along it. Ravines/Sierra Nevada
Fruit orchards Citrus and Avocardo - but not so many flowering Almond. Allotments everywhere along the coast where it is a bit flat - right up to town borders. Greenhouse (large plastic sheet constructions) sprawl everywhere. A Hippy colony making odd things from plastic waste - lots of migrant workers living in temporary shacks and caves in river beds. Plenty of green undergrowth and flowers and small wildlife. Dozens of watchtowers and sugar cane factories in various states of decay. Lots of coves.

I have been to more inspiring places as regards photographing, but this is a good place for coming out of winter hibernation with plenty of motives within a reasonable budget. And with plenty of time to do more normal things as well.

Yes we are going again next winter.

PS. Apart from the usual interested onlookers, two couples stopped up one day. One of the men was a Wista 20x24 owner from Luxemburg ( who was not active at the moment, but used his time in the old days with "Jazz" reportage) and the other was an ex BBC/Independent film producer.