PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood to build box cameras?

SeanEsopenko
16-Feb-2013, 08:52
What types of woods work well for building box cameras? Strong & light weight is what I have in mind.

vinny
16-Feb-2013, 09:27
Baltic birch plywood. Comes in various thicknesses, is really strong, looks great. Easy to get and not that expensive (if you don't need a full sheet)

Michael Cienfuegos
16-Feb-2013, 14:08
Baltic birch plywood. Comes in various thicknesses, is really strong, looks great. Easy to get and not that expensive (if you don't need a full sheet)

You can get smaller pieces in well stocked hobby shops. I have used it for making lensboards.

boswald
16-Feb-2013, 15:30
Ironically enough, boxwood. It's almost as stable as the traditional mahogany. I find it difficult to make tiny dovetails in plywood, so solid but not too hard is my choice. If you don't sit on it you would be surprised how durable balsa can be, it's just hard to finish.

SeanEsopenko
16-Feb-2013, 17:07
Does anybody have any ideas on how I could jury up a Linhoff lens mount for small Linhoff boards? So I could use my 90mm interchangeably between the box camera and the view camera?

MMELVIS
17-Feb-2013, 21:19
What are the measurements of the lens board you are looking to adapt? Pictures with a ruler next the lens board would be a great start. Do you have access to power tools or just hand tools?