PDA

View Full Version : Ektar 203 filter thread size..

Brooklyn45
15-Feb-2013, 07:16
I have a newly aquired Ektar 203 in a compur shutter, there is a thread for a filter. Anyone happen to know what size that would be..

Thanks all

John Kasaian
15-Feb-2013, 07:36
Mine dosen't have threads but uses a slip on series filter adapter (a Series VII, IIRC)

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Feb-2013, 07:55
When I had mine I think it was 52mm. Great lens.

Brooklyn45
15-Feb-2013, 08:07
No Jim, the outside diameter is about 38mm.. takes a 38 slip on series VI filter.. but I want to see if someone knows the internal thread size..

IanG
15-Feb-2013, 08:33
Kodak state they take a Series VI slip on filter also 33mm which seems to be the internal thread

It may also depends which version US/UK.

Ian

Brooklyn45
15-Feb-2013, 08:45
That can't be right unless its referring to the mount 370 lenses sold a lot in the UK. The one I have measures 35.69 mm inside. I wonder if that means a 36mm thread..

IanG
15-Feb-2013, 09:24
That 33mm was from a 1945 US Kodak databook, OK it was for the 203mm f7.7 Anastigmat (earlier un-coated version), however I've just checked a later 4th Edition Dataguide and the Ektar is identical specification but coated.

While mine's a Mount 370 UK made version (so non Supermatic - Epsilon, Prontor SVS, Compur #0 fully compatible) I'd agree at firts glance it appears to be closer to 36mm inside but theres a chamfer on the lip so the thread size does seem to be 33mm and I cut some card to33m and it's a tight fit across the internal diameter.

Ian

Brooklyn45
15-Feb-2013, 09:58
Well as I thought yours is a Mount 370. That one fits in a 0 shutter and is v.small. They made I think three different variations. The older ones that fit in a supermatic. (which have no threads) Then the newer ones like mine that fit in a compur #1 and those more common in Europe the Mount 370 that fits a #0 shutter often found in prontor or epsilon shutters. There is no way a 33 mm filter fits this lens as I said before it measures 35.69mm on the inside.

Can anybody corroborate that a 36mm filter will fit ??

IanG
15-Feb-2013, 11:03
A quick Google search shows the US made 203mm Ektar in a different front and presumably rear barrel to adapt them to a Compur 1 shutter, so you're right that there's two US versions, the retaining ring for the front cell seems to be the same size. The filter size is definitely wider.

Ian

Rick Keller
21-May-2015, 11:26
I realize this is an old thread, but I am interested to know if a 36mm filter did indeed fit. I just acquired a Kodak Ektar 203mm f/7.7 in a Compur shutter, too, and I am looking for an appropriate screw-in step-up ring ...

Doremus Scudder
22-May-2015, 01:53
I realize this is an old thread, but I am interested to know if a 36mm filter did indeed fit. I just acquired a Kodak Ektar 203mm f/7.7 in a Compur shutter, too, and I am looking for an appropriate screw-in step-up ring ...

Rich,

As noted above, it will depend on the shutter the lens is mounted in. If you have a Flash Supermatic (like I do), Kodak says the front threads are 33mm, not a common filter/adapter size. The usual filter-mounting setup was a slip-on adapter to Series VI. I have one of these that I've added a 52mm insert to. Your best solution, IM-HO, would be a custom slip-on to 52mm adapter (or possibly a bit larger if you have filters already). S.K. Grimes will make you one. So can a local machinist.

Best,

Doremus

IanG
22-May-2015, 07:04

Since I last posted in the thread I've acquired a second 203mm f7.7 Exktar, this one's an Eastman Kodak version in a a Graphic Synchro Compur #1 shutter unlike the UK Mount 370 which was in a Compur #0 (or #0 Epsilon/Prontor SVS).

I've no small screw in filters but suspect the Ektar needs a 36.5mm filter, the OD of the front of the barrel is 38.08mm and the inside of the filter threads 35.72mm so a 36mm filter will be a touch under-size .

Ian

John Kasaian
22-May-2015, 08:32
I've a Series VI adapter ring on mine. IIRC it will accommodate the 49mm filters from my old Nikon SLR kit but I have no way of checking that out right now, sorry!

IanG
22-May-2015, 09:06
I've a Series VI adapter ring on mine. IIRC it will accommodate the 49mm filters from my old Nikon SLR kit but I have no way of checking that out right now, sorry!

Rick's asking about a late version of the lens which has a wider barrel than the earlier US ones and is in a Compur #1.

Ian

Chuck Pere
23-May-2015, 07:46
If you get a Series VI slip-on adapter you can use a 44-52mm step-up ring to get from the adapter to 52mm filters. At least in works with my Kodak adapters. This place has the step-up ring: http://www.filterfind.net/Step_rings.html. Probably not the correct threads on each part but close enough to work.

Rick Keller
28-May-2015, 15:25
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses. Before looking into the aformentined Series VI slip-on adaptor, I decided to take a chance on a 36mm step-up ring.

Again, my particular lens is a Kodak Ektar 203mm f7.7 in a Graphic Synchro-Compur #1 shutter. Because I could not find a 36mm-52mm step-up ring, I acquired a Bower 36mm-46mm step-up ring to be paired with a Sensei 46-52mm step-up ring.

At first, it appeared that the 36mm-46mm step-up ring might be a tad undersized, but as I *gently* continued rotating this step-up ring into the Ektar front thread it screwed in perfectly! As expected, the paired 46mm-52mm also fit perfectly on top. I have attached photos of the end result.

For those interested, I obtained both of these step-up rings from B&H. The Bower ring is priced at $5.95 and the Sensei ring at $3.49.

Cheers!

- Rick