PDA

View Full Version : Wet prints from digital files

Toyon
14-Feb-2013, 17:46
Stopped by to take a look at a photo exhibition at Digital Silver Imaging, which hosts shows for the Griffin Museum of Photogaphy. After looking at the show I started talking with Eric Luden, the co-owner. They have a system for converting digital files and printing them onto Silver Gelatin substrate, both fiber and RC paper. He gave me a tour, and I'll admit I was impressed, the stuff looked very good to me. I'll continue to work purely analog myself, but if I were shooting digital and wanted the look of silver gelatin I would definitely look them. They also do very large format inkjet printing. Digitalsilverimaging.com. By the way, I am not affiliated with them, but appreciate their support of both the Griffin Museum and the manufacturers of traditional silver gelatin materials.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Feb-2013, 18:17
http://www.danburkholder.com/Pages/main_pages/book_info_main_page1.htm

That might help a bit.

robk331
14-Feb-2013, 18:36
Piezography has a dedicated ink set for making digital negatives that works really well. I've tried quite a few of the different systems for making digital negs and piezography has been the easiest with the best results.

Rob

Erik Larsen
14-Feb-2013, 19:35
What would be nice is a digital enlarger for the darkroom. One I could put a digital file into and print onto B&W paper just like using a negative in a real enlarger.

Here ya go
http://www.de-vere.com/products.htm

Ed Richards
14-Feb-2013, 21:15
Wow! Anyone know the price?

tiggert
14-Feb-2013, 22:08
What was the old adage, if you have to ask, you can't afford it? :-) I imagine it is WAY cheaper to go with the Piezo solution! I've been working with it for the past 8 months...I love it plus I now print over half my work directly with Piezo on an Epson 2880. It, IMHO actually surpasses Silver Gelatin, and is VERY close to what I can pull from AZO. I have fooled graphic artists and fellow photographers who could not tell the difference with prints in their hands.

john borrelli
14-Feb-2013, 22:45
I have used Digital Silver Imaging.

I am an amateur and have had sporadic success with digital black and white, so I thought I would give them a try. Their black and white prints are excellent but they are expensive. There is a print charge, a premium paper charge, a scanning charge, a charge to put the scan on a cd, an hourly charge for extra photoshop work, etc.

At one time I aspired to be a professional digital image printer, I could have been rich!

welly
15-Feb-2013, 00:55
Wow! Anyone know the price?

One didn't sell on ebay for $6000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vere-504-DS-digital-enlarger-/130508284346?pt=COMP_Printers&hash=item1e62e661ba

rich815
15-Feb-2013, 05:52
What was the old adage, if you have to ask, you can't afford it? :-) I imagine it is WAY cheaper to go with the Piezo solution! I've been working with it for the past 8 months...I love it plus I now print over half my work directly with Piezo on an Epson 2880. It, IMHO actually surpasses Silver Gelatin, and is VERY close to what I can pull from AZO. I have fooled graphic artists and fellow photographers who could not tell the difference with prints in their hands.

What paper are you printing on?

Toyon
15-Feb-2013, 10:27
There is a difference between a ink printer and a print made from photo-reactive materials. The former is a reproduction made with information gathered on a sensor, the latter is an actual Photograph (definition: a painting made by light) in the sense that it is image is formed directly by the action of light on chemically sensitive materials. While the end result may be similar, the process is different.

robk331
15-Feb-2013, 10:46
The inkjet printer is use to make a negative that is then contact printed in the darkroom. The piezography digital negatives differ from the other negative-creating methods in that it uses ink density as opposed to UV-blocking in order to create the negative. In that sense, they are more akin to traditional negatives.

There is a difference between a ink printer and a print made from photo-reactive materials. The former is a reproduction made with information gathered on a sensor, the latter is an actual Photograph (definition: a painting made by light) in the sense that it is image is formed directly by the action of light on chemically sensitive materials. While the end result may be similar, the process is different.