PDA

View Full Version : What is the developer that yield the richest grey?

ezk
14-Feb-2013, 13:58
I know that it very much depend on the negative. But there is developer as well.
Any ideas?

Frank Pittel
14-Feb-2013, 16:14
I know that it very much depend on the negative. But there is developer as well.
Any ideas?

FX2 is the greatest film developer known to man so it has to give the "richest" grey! :)

Drew Wiley
14-Feb-2013, 17:25
Are you speaking of midtone expansion, microtonality, what ?????????? It's going to be paper related, and not just film.

Daniel Stone
14-Feb-2013, 17:56
what Drew said.

"Richest" meaning most neutral, or with the best "snap" in the midtones? There are millions of combinations of films+developers available to us, along with agitation/dilution techniques, and what works with 1 persons water supply might not work exactly the same for you...

-Dan

Jac@stafford.net
14-Feb-2013, 18:34
There is no answer to your question except to avoid developing in Dektol 1:3. :)

I am experimenting with this (http://stores.photoformulary.com/-strse-92/Dixactol-%26-Dixactol-Ultra/Detail.bok)with great interest.

jnantz
14-Feb-2013, 22:13
caffenol or ansco 130 separate or mixed together

Brian C. Miller
14-Feb-2013, 23:14
"Do not try and develop the grey. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth."
"What truth?"
"There is no grey."
"There is no grey?"
"Then you'll see, that it is not the grey that develops, it is only yourself."

Zaitz
14-Feb-2013, 23:16
"Do not try and develop the grey. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth."
"What truth?"
"There is no grey."
"There is no grey?"

:D Love it.

Heroique
14-Feb-2013, 23:23
"What truth?"
"There is no grey."
"There is no grey?"

Great! But who’s speaking? Yoda and Luke?

StoneNYC
14-Feb-2013, 23:39
Great! But who’s speaking? Yoda and Luke?

Neither... He's referencing the matrix...

StoneNYC
14-Feb-2013, 23:40
"What truth?"
"There is no grey."
"There is no grey?"

I want to use the quote its AWESOME!!!

StoneNYC
14-Feb-2013, 23:41
PS Rodinal 1:50...

Brian C. Miller
15-Feb-2013, 08:58
Yeah, it's from the Spoon Boy and Neo dialogue, first The Matrix movie, when Neo goes to see the Oracle. Go ahead, Stone, have at it! ;) There's someone over on APUG with a similar "develop yourself" signature.

Of course, I have no idea if the OP is referencing print or negative developer. There's a huge variety of both. I decided to heed Arthur Fellig's (Weegee) admonishment, don't become a chem head. Use something that works, and then concentrate on getting good photos.

(And prints aren't complete without toning, anyways.)

Vaughn
15-Feb-2013, 09:06
FP4+ in Ilford PQ Universal developer was recommeded to me by Terry King for nice separation in the mid-tones -- especially for platinum printing. I definitely like the results, but your mileage may differ.

Hans Berkhout
15-Feb-2013, 09:39
ask the author of "50 Zones etc..." : - should be rich by now.