PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss and Linhof question

IanG
12-Feb-2013, 11:59
Does anyone know when Linhof stopped using Carl Zeiss Jena lenses ?

I've been offered a Linhof CZJ Tessar lens, well it's in the correct era Linhof Compur shutter lens serial number inicates 1952-55, I already have another CZJ Tessar that I suspect was destined for Linhof.

Ian

Arne Croell
12-Feb-2013, 12:44
They probably stopped after the West-German Zeiss (-Opton) in Oberkochen started to produce their new LF lenses. Production for the new lens series for the 6x9 format started in 1954, with the exception of a 105mm Tessar which was already available in 1950 (mostly for the Super-Ikonta, though). The 4x5 lenses started in 1958.

IanG
12-Feb-2013, 12:52
thanks Arne, that was exactly the answer I was looking for. It's a 105mm Linhof CZJ Tessar I've been offered and my 150mm is pre 1958. So makes sense.

Ian

Bill_1856
12-Feb-2013, 15:35
Does Zeiss still make LF lenses?

IanG
12-Feb-2013, 15:41

No. CZJ became Doctor Optics which went bust although they were taken over but LF lenses stopped. The West German Zeiss stopped LF lenses maybe in the 80's, Dan Froom or Arne will give you more exact dates.

Ian

Bob Salomon
12-Feb-2013, 16:43
No. CZJ became Doctor Optics which went bust although they were taken over but LF lenses stopped. The West German Zeiss stopped LF lenses maybe in the 80's, Dan Froom or Arne will give you more exact dates.

Ian
Rodenstock bought some of Doctor Optic but didn't offer any of their lenses in the photo industry.

Arne Croell
12-Feb-2013, 22:59
The West-German Zeiss stopped making LF lenses in 1972, except for some special runs of the 135mm f/3.5 Planar in the 1980's and 1990's (the fabled T* multicoated version, all other Zeiss Oberkochen LF lenses were single coated). The 1972 cutoff date also applies to Voigtländer lenses, which were part of the Zeiss group then. With respect to Carl Zeiss Jena and Docter Optic, you can find more information in my articles on the topic, the links for the latest versions are at the bottom of this page on my web site: http://www.arnecroell.com/publications

IanG
13-Feb-2013, 07:23
The West-German Zeiss stopped making LF lenses in 1972, except for some special runs of the 135mm f/3.5 Planar in the 1980's and 1990's (the fabled T* multicoated version, all other Zeiss Oberkochen LF lenses were single coated). The 1972 cutoff date also applies to Voigtländer lenses, which were part of the Zeiss group then. With respect to Carl Zeiss Jena and Docter Optic, you can find more information in my articles on the topic, the links for the latest versions are at the bottom of this page on my web site: http://www.arnecroell.com/publications

Your Zeiss article is very interesting Arne, I hadn't seen that one before. Thanks for posting the link.

Ian