Thread: Copystand: Bencher Illuma System Light Control

David J. Heinrich

Post Copystand: Bencher Illuma System Light Control

I just picked up a Bencher copystand with Illuma System Light Control from Edgar Praus (he had it sitting around for years, unused; thank you very much, Edgar!). I disassembled it and cleaned it off, this is a wonderful piece of equipment!

I just got finished cleaning off the copy stand. We disassembled the focusing beam from the rest of it, and also disassembled the top of the table (which had the projector/light unit in it) just leaving the hollow metal support shell. Hosed the metal (electronics removed!) down as well as the focusing beam. Looks great! Used a leaf blower to get dust off of the big electronic projector/tabletop piece.

The copystand column is 7ft 2in tall!

I plugged in the projector/tabletop to an outlet and it still works!

I'm going to put it on top of a 2.5ft x 2.5ft piece of MDF board and four small inner tire tubes to isolate it from vibrations: it is right next to a freezer. (this is a suggestion from The Manual of Close Up Photography, see attached scan). Does anyone have any recommendation on anything else I should put maybe between the inner tubes and the MDF board, like maybe a square of dunlop latex (what's used on matresses)? I don't want to have any vibrations.

Oh, I'll be setting it up with a SLP setup with Kodak projectors providing slices of light on the sides, so maybe I'll use a larger piece of MDF to also go under the tables that the projectors will be on (to keep the plane of light steady).

Here are some pictures of the cleaned off components -- a beautiful piece of equipment.

The Illuma System Light Control
    Attachment 43681

Copystand Support frame
    Attachment 43682

Copystand Column & Carriage
    Attachment 43683

Vibration Isolation Setup (example from The Manual of Close-Up Photography)
    Attachment 43684

Re: Copystand: Bencher Illuma System Light Control

I have one of these, not exactly like the one you've pictured, but very similar. Been trying to sell it for quite some time. Belonged to my late husband, and I'm anxious to clear it out of the office! If anyone's interested, please drop me a line!