Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009/2010 Print Exchange Call for Entries !!!

Smile 2009/2010 Print Exchange Call for Entries !!!

Whether your a Newbie or an Old Timer to LF, this is a great opportunity to participate in a unique print exchange. You'll receive beautiful prints and have your work published in the online LF Gallery. This will be the third exchange I will sponsor and the previous Print Exchanges have been very successful and rewarding. The rules are posted below and have changed from last year, so please read them. Please respond with your request to participate so we can start counting how many participants there will be. Please post all questions here so everyone can share the info.

--

Print Exchange 101
    He is an example of a print exchange with 10 photographers.

Ansel
    Diane
    Mathew
    Dorothea
    William
    Margaret
    Walker
    André
    Roger
    Tina

Ansel, Diane, Mathew, Dorothea, William, Margaret, Walker, André, Roger, and Tina mail nine (9) prints according to the print specs to their print exchange facilitator. The facilitator then sorts out these prints so they each group member receives one print from each member of the group. Everyone receives nine (9) prints, one print from each of their group members.

--

There is monetary cost involved in this 2009/2010 Print Exchange

1. You will need to print nine (9) prints
    2. You will need to ship these prints to Tallahassee, Florida USA
    3. You will need to pay (PayPal or check) for the return shipping*

*Shipping fees will be determined after the prints are ready to be shipped. You will be notified via a PM. In previous exchanges, the packages averaged a 2-lb shipping weight. We do not want to exceed the 2-lb weight as International Shipping Fees are costly! There will be US, Canadian, European, Australian, etc. mailings. DO NOT MOUNT YOUR PRINTS!

Please note that I will not have an exact idea on your return shipping costs until I have your address and print packet ready for shipping. This all takes a bit of time and cooperation. Please be sure to send your "Shipping Info Sheet" along with your prints. If I do not receive a clearly filled-out "Shipping Info Sheet," I may have no clue who the prints belong to.

Groups will be determined differently this year
    A huge "Thank you to John Bowen" for coming up with a quicker way to get prints back out to you if you sent your prints in on time. Instead of establishing groups before the shipping date, we are going to try a FIFO (first-in, first-out) method. I will post the shipping date below and everyone is to ship their prints by this time. Shipping before the established date is fine to do, but in the past if you shipped your prints late, you left others in your assigned group waiting and waiting for their packets. Not anymore! Why penalize the participants that have been cooperating all along? So now there is a bit of mystery in this exchange; who will be in your group?

When I receive 10 packets in, I will ship 10 packets out!
    I will list the names of each 10 member Group as the packets ship out so you know when to expect your packet. If stuff happens and you are unable to ship your prints on time, your prints will be placed in a group and shipped out when the group reaches 10 participants. If you are the last to ship your prints and there is no one else left to exchange your prints with, I will exchange one of my prints with you and look for others to contribute, but I cannot guarantee a full 10 print packet. I do believe this will be a fair and efficient system. This type of system may motivate some participants to get their packets out ASAP. Hey, whatever works!

Print Packets
    Everyone is to ship nine (9) prints to me according to the Print Specs below. If you send 10 prints, I will assume you are sending one for me which is greatly appreciated and the reason I do all the work, but you are not obligated to do so.

--

PRINT SPECS
    Created on a view camera (2x3, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10", etc. film format)
    Black & White or Color
    Wet darkroom or digital prints
    NOT larger than 11x14" paper
    NOT smaller than 8x10" paper
    Image area can be any size as long as it is on paper from 8x10" to 11x14"
    NO Mats due to added shipping weight
    NO Mounted prints due to added shipping weight
    Include an info sheet for each photo on your tech specs, location, etc.
    Filters/Digital Manipulation OK
    2009/2010 creation date

--

In the past a few folks shipped additional shipping materials along with their prints for the return prints shipment. If you care to do this, that is fine, but I will not recycle the outside envelope. I will recycle the cardboard if it arrives in good shape. I will not supply cardboard or shipping materials for free. To anyone that is in need of shipping materials, I can offer for an additional US $4.00 the following return shipping packet or similar.

Attachment 35364

I have a mail order business and purchase these materials in bulk. It would include a heavy cardboard mailer, two archival backing boards and an archival bag that you can safely store the prints in for years to come. You are under no obligation to purchase this shipping packet, and if you do not, remember to include fresh shipping materials in your packet for the return shipment. I do not make any money off of these shipping materials, I offer this because it makes my job easier. It may actually save you postage if you do not mail shipping materials to me with your prints.

If you are going to participate, post your name here and I will respond with acknowledgment and add you to the list and we EXPECT you to participate. If something comes up and you need to withdrawal, please notify me so I do not waste time trying to contact you and possibly keep a group of nine waiting on your packet! I will respond to questions as soon as I can and will check into this forum at least twice during the day looking for messages.

If you do not have a print already chosen for this exchange, use this opportunity to cultivate your creativity. I will be producing a print exclusively for this exchange and I cannot wait to get going! I have had a busy year and have not had the leisure to be behind my 4x5" as much as I would like. Now I have to because I want to exchange prints with you guys! Thanks for the motivation!!

Print Info Sheet, Shipping Info Sheet, Print Specs & Web Gallery Info
    Include a Completed Print Info Sheet for each exchange print and clearly fill out your Shipping Info Sheet for me. I have difficulties with non-US addresses, so please type out your shipping info if you can! Thank you in advance.

Attachment 35361 Attachment 35362 Attachment 35363

--

Closing Date For Exchange Sign Up:
    February 1, 2010

Ship Date for Sending Prints to Facilitator:
    March 29, 2010

--
    Let the printing, shipping, sorting, gazing, packing, shipping, receiving, BEGIN!!

Looking forward to it all!
    -Darr

Re: 2009/2010 Print Exchange Call for Entries !!!

This is the LF Print Exchange Participants via the poll:

1. al olson,
    2. Alan Butcher,
    3. bensonga,
    4. Blumine,
    5. brian d,
    6. Chuck Pere,
    7. chuck461,
    8. darr,
    9. Darren Kruger,
    10. Don7x17,
    11. DougD,
    12. dsphotog,
    13. eddie,
    14. Eirik Berger,
    15. Erik Larsen,
    16. highandwild,
    17. jb7,
    18. jennym,
    19. jeroldharter,
    20. Jim Graves,
    21. John Bowen,
    22. Kirk Keyes,
    23. ljsegil,
    24. madmax12,
    25. mcfactor,
    26. Michael Filler,
    27. Mike Hansen,
    28. MIke Sherck,
    29. Patrick Dixon,
    30. Pete Roody,
    31. redrockcoulee,
    32. rtbadman,
    33. shileshjani,
    34. spkennedy3000,
    35. Stephane,
    36. Steve Gledhill,
    37. Steven Scherbinski,
    38. tgtaylor,
    39. Thad Gerheim,
    40. venchka,
    41. walterb,
    42. wclavey

If you are on the above list, you do not have to request to be in the LF Print Exchange as I already have you down. But, when you ship your prints, please post in this thread so I know to be on the look out for them.

If you are not on the above list and want to join in the exchange:
    1. Read the first post for requirements
    2. Post your request to join here in this thread
    3. I will acknowledge that you are in the exchange via this thread

Thank you!
    Darr

Thank you Darr for coordinating these print exchanges. This is my first large format print exchange here (although I've been participating and/or organizing print exchanges since April 2002).

A quick question about the 2009/2010 "creation date".....in the past, I noticed that this was "desired, but not necessary". I didn't get out much in 2009. As for 2010....well, it's the dead of winter up here in Alaska. If we don't have much to work with, is an image taken before 2009 ok to use for this print exchange? I'd like to print something I really want to share and that others may enjoy seeing, not just one of the very few images I had a chance to take in 2009....if that's ok.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Thank you Darr for coordinating these print exchanges. This is my first large format print exchange here (although I've been participating and/or organizing print exchanges since April 2002).

A quick question about the 2009/2010 "creation date".....in the past, I noticed that this was "desired, but not necessary". I didn't get out much in 2009. As for 2010....well, it's the dead of winter up here in Alaska. If we don't have much to work with, is an image taken before 2009 ok to use for this print exchange? I'd like to print something I really want to share and that others may enjoy seeing, not just one of the very few images I had a chance to take in 2009....if that's ok.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Yes, Gary that will be fine as long as the print you exchange has not been given in a previous exchange. Participants do not want duplicates as I am sure you understand. Welcome on board.

Darr

oh baby! lucky # 13.

darr, i have some very nice 4x5 lith prints i contact printed on 4x5 paper. do you think i could dry mount them to an 8x10 piece of paper? if not i will try and make some more (you never know....well i do not....how the lith stuff will turn out.).

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    oh baby! lucky # 13.

darr, i have some very nice 4x5 lith prints i contact printed on 4x5 paper. do you think i could dry mount them to an 8x10 piece of paper? if not i will try and make some more (you never know....well i do not....how the lith stuff will turn out.).

eddie
    Oh Eddy!!
    Yes, thin paper please!
    I look forward to them!

Darr

cool. i will just use my water color paper that i print my VDB on.....would almost be the same weight....just a little baby sized 4x5 "glued" on to it....cheers.

i have been printing for this exchange already....just waiting for you to make the announcement......new photos and new printing processes this year.... maybe even a wet plate collodion printed image on paper as well...)

eddie

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    cool. i will just use my water color paper that i print my VDB on.....would almost be the same weight....just a little baby sized 4x5 "glued" on to it....cheers.

i have been printing for this exchange already....just waiting for you to make the announcement......new photos and new printing processes this year.... maybe even a wet plate collodion printed image on paper as well...)

eddie
    That's wonderful Eddie. You are a very creative guy!
    I learn so much from photographers like you and admire your work and enthusiasm.
    Darr

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Yes, Gary that will be fine as long as the print you exchange has not been given in a previous exchange. Participants do not want duplicates as I am sure you understand. Welcome on board.

Darr

Thanks for the clarification Darr. I will make 11x14 prints of what I think is the best 4x5 B&W image I've ever made (from the mid-80s). Unfortunately, image making wise, it's been all downhill since then. :-(

One of these days, I'll hopefully "get my groove back".

On the plus side, I think I am a better printer than I was 20+ years ago.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Darr. I will make 11x14 prints of what I think is the best 4x5 B&W image I've ever made (from the mid-80s). Unfortunately, image making wise, it's been all downhill since then. :-(

One of these days, I'll hopefully "get my groove back".

On the plus side, I think I am a better printer than I was 20+ years ago.

Gary
    I know how you feel Gary I don't envy the folks that receive my prints but I am really looking forward to everyone elses!
    erik